Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Preparation Course Discussion

worldno8

Hi everyone!
Now that the 2018 UMAT is over, I thought that, as a 2019-er, I should get fully started with preparation, considering that I am striving for undergraduate medicine entry.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum section but out of all the preparation courses available, which ones would you guys most recommend?

I was thinking of purchasing the NIE books and Medentry platinum package. Would this be sufficient? Are the Medentry resources a decent reflection of the actual UMAT? How else did you guys prepare - vocab lists, critical thinking books?

Thank you so much! Hope you all did well today.

Mana

Registrar
Admodistrator
Hi everyone!
Now that the 2018 UMAT is over, I thought that, as a 2019-er, I should get fully started with preparation, considering that I am striving for undergraduate medicine entry.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum section but out of all the preparation courses available, which ones would you guys most recommend?

I was thinking of purchasing the NIE books and Medentry platinum package. Would this be sufficient? Are the Medentry resources a decent reflection of the actual UMAT? How else did you guys prepare - vocab lists, critical thinking books?

Thank you so much! Hope you all did well today.
There isn't a great deal of evidence out there supporting preparation courses in general (i.e. the research shows that preparation courses make very little difference to your overall mark), and you'll find quite a few resources on here which have been written by members past and present. You'll find them all nicely collated at [Undergrad] - UMAT Forum: Table of Contents thanks to LMG! who tirelessly scours the forums for anything of value.

What preparation courses may be useful for is to get an idea of the question types in the exams (sort of, this varies a lot to be honest as the UMAT has evolved somewhat over the years) and as a further question bank once you've exhausted the ACER practice papers (which I will maintain are sufficient to be able to get to know the types of questions well).

There are lots of free youtube resources out there as well.

I would suggest that before you shell out several hundred dollars for any preparation course that you realise what you are getting and also realise that you're able to get lots of very similar preparation content for much cheaper or free.

LMG!

Admodistrator
I agree completely with Mana. There are lots of free resources available that I definitely recommend having a look at first.

I used MedEntry, but largely because I was lazy/busy/fortunate enough to have the money for it (distance package) and just found it convenient. But there are heaps of freebies to access.

I’m going to edit this thread title to make it a bit more generic and add it to the table of contents because these questions pop up a bit. Thanks :)

Lear

Monash BMedSci/MD I
Gold star winner
The most useful resource I used was Youtube. There were many many extensive videos which I honestly think, at times, I learnt more from than Medentry.
Check out
- Daniel Mills (Best one BY FAR)
- Ace UMAT
- Manoj S UMAT
- Prepgenie UMAT

nts

After completing the UMAT in 2018, I honestly don't think that preparation really made a difference to how I answered the questions on the day. My suggestion is that you should focus most of your time getting really good at Section 3 as that is the only section that you can really prepare for (you might see questions you've practiced before on the test). I've heard ACER is moving away from using big words in Section 2 so don't waste your time memorising words. For section 1, just practice being able to filter out the important information from big paragraphs. After all, ACER is trying to shift away from third party practice prep giving an advantage to students who use it.