Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Remarking

medda

I think with utas, you don't need 50 in each of your sections, but at least a 50 overall is required :)

(ps - I'm almost there Jackie!!)

Oh right, just noting that the 50-50-50 only applies to UQ.
That table shows the minimum required to get an interview, which you have probably achieved. It is how you perform at the interview.

But it's not a guarantee right? So...should I just ask for a remark, risk losing the very chance I have left...? fk this, you know what, umat can just eat itself with its shallowness(n)

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
Minimum required to get an interview should be a guarantee. However, those numbers are dependent on last year's results, and might change.

Liquid8

It's not uncommon for people to do what you have just done and do really well in S1 and 3 then screw up S2. the responses are too ambiguous and you must have just picked the wrong choice a few too many times. Took me a few times to get a decent score in S2.

Personally i'd leave it and keep the money i would have to pay, but if it really bugs you that much and you're gonna wonder 'what if' forever, then just do it. I doubt your marks will drop.
Agree. I have known a few people who have contacted ACER regarding remarking, although none had the results altered in their favour. My own cynicism suggests it's a money making exercise above anything else, although if you find yourself obsessing about it, then there's not much to lose above the remarking fee.

rulerofhell

gulls' calendar minion
Does anyone know how long ACER usually take to remark the UMAT? I know they said it won't be released in time for change of preferences, does that mean that first round interviews in Nov-Dec are also ruled out if you didn't make the cutoff when UMAT was originally released? E.g. if you were applying for UNSW and the cut off was 93, you got 89 and upon remarking your score went up to say 97, would you only be offered an interview (assuming ATAR high enough) in the final round in Jan?

Thanks

persepupu

Does anyone know how long ACER usually take to remark the UMAT? I know they said it won't be released in time for change of preferences, does that mean that first round interviews in Nov-Dec are also ruled out if you didn't make the cutoff when UMAT was originally released? E.g. if you were applying for UNSW and the cut off was 93, you got 89 and upon remarking your score went up to say 97, would you only be offered an interview (assuming ATAR high enough) in the final round in Jan?

Thanks

I got my re-marking "results" on the 13th of November last year.. However, there was no deviation in marks. :( I'm sure that upon contacting the uni and informing them of your updated results they could organise a January interview.

nutnezz

hmm, im considering getting a remark too, but im not sure!
from what i read here, its usually because you were untidy/smudged your answers that your results would increase right?
and im pretty sure i didnt smudge anything..

i did UMAT 2009 and went in not even knowing what a big deal UMAT is, except that I need to take it to get into med in aussie (i live in malaysia, so this was news to me)
i had no practice, hung out with friends the night before, and went in just thinking about hanging out with my friends after the exam!
needless to say, i only got a 61st percentile.

this year, after wising up a little, i retook the UMAT.
i prepared in advance, flew to aussie for a prep course, practiced waaaaay more than last year, and felt totally confident coming out of the exam about s1 and s2 (not so much about s3 though)

and i got a 37th percentile this year!
s1: 50
s2: 50
s3: 46
overall score : 48

could it be that i really just did way worse than i thought? or should i get a remark?

Jjub

could it be that i really just did way worse than i thought? or should i get a remark?

Get a remark... at worst you are going to be out $85... which is better than waiting until offers are out and wondering if you should have gotten a remark...

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Get a remark... at worst you are going to be out $85... which is better than waiting until offers are out and wondering if you should have gotten a remark...
^^^ That is quite alright assuming you have a spare $85 lying around.

If you highly doubt the mark you recieved was correct due to whatever reason and have some spare cash maybe it is worth a remark just to be on the safe side and get rid of any feelings of regret. Otherwise I wouldnt really bother. UMAT is unpredictable and its not something at which you are guaranteed to improve so yeah.

frizzy22

^^^ That is quite alright assuming you have a spare $85 lying around.

If you highly doubt the mark you recieved was correct due to whatever reason and have some spare cash maybe it is worth a remark just to be on the safe side and get rid of any feelings of regret. Otherwise I wouldnt really bother. UMAT is unpredictable and its not something at which you are guaranteed to improve so yeah.

I would give it a go. Most ppl improved heaps this year after tonnes of training, it's hard to imagine that none of ur training paid off. besides, after paying like $500 on a prep course and $200 on umat, what's another $85.

rulerofhell

gulls' calendar minion
Assume I have a spare $85 lying around. If my UMAT is 85% would it be worth to get a remark to see if I could potentially get into UNSW or Monash more easily (i.e. without having to get a ridiculously high ATAR)?

zmcp

connoisseur
I am extremely happy with my UMAT because i did really well BUT my section 2 was appalling. if you got a paper remarked does it ever go down???

if your mark is so low as to have no real chance at Med or Dent then i would say go for the remark. Its "only" 85 dollars, and most people would pay that to have another chance at a better mark. I mean you did pay 200 for the test in the first place so your only paying 40% of the original fee. either that or try next year.
ALTHOUGH, if you didnt rub anything out ect then the computer 99.99999% of the time is correct so in that case you would have to be made of cash to, essentially, throw away $85.

frizzy22

Question: Is a remark worth it?
Answer: "no, its like asking an ex boyfriend to reject you again"- Season

lol :lol:, but I reckon it's worth a shot though only if u have reason to believe there could be a mistake. In my case, half my section 1 answers were displaced up so I had to scribble furiously to erase and correct them. There could easily have been smudges on my test paper. Even though I'm gradually coming to terms with failure, I'm gonna give remarking a go- with my score, I don't think it could get any worse. :mellow:

amateur

remember, your mark may go up OR down.
if yours is really bad, then think about a remark
risk, if you are on the borderline

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
Question: Is a remark worth it?
Answer: "no, its like asking an ex boyfriend to reject you again"- Season

I lol'd. I say only if it makes you feel better, don't expect anything out of it.

UMAT Marking Mistake

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a test remarked and found that ACER made an error while marking? I know they do lots of checking before they publish results. Is it worth getting it remarked, especially if you really feel as if you did much better than your results show?

Did UMAT for 2nd time, so I know the toughness of UMAT and know when I've done well or not well in a section. I just had this really good feeling about section 3, but my results didn't show it.

anyway, is it worth it? anyone heard of stories?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Never heard of a success story. You can really do it if you want, however I really doubt anything will come of it. Unfortunately all it will probably do is falsely raise your hopes. you are welcome to spend the money and create the first success story ;)