Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Remarking

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey Walnut,

I had a very similar problem - personally I would get a remark because you don't know...I did extensive research and practice myself for over 4 months beforehand, and my best section, probably like you, was section 2 in this prep. However in the test it was my worst. I received a terrible %ile as well, although in general people will often do worse than they expect in this section. If I were you - remark! What have you got to lose? If it's the make-or-break of a medical career, $85 is a worthwhile investment.

No prep mimics Section 2 well. At all. Even the prac ACER papers aren't a true representation (they are easier in my opinion).

Hey guys, I urge you to go for a remark if you think you did better than your result. When I sat UMAT I came out of the exam feeling like I had done pretty ok. Got my result back, and was 29th percentile overall. I was devasted because I had put in so much effort studying for it. I decided to go for a remark. I got my result back and it had been upgraded to 96th percentile. Just goes to show ACER makes **** ups, so just because they tell you all this **** on their website that they've rigorously marked and checked everything multiple times, don't neccesarily believe it. If I had I wouldn't be in med today. So go for a remark if you think its worth it. Good luck.(y)
If I apply for tertiary admission centres and get a remark would it be worth it, after hearing it won't make it on time? (Is that for the first round interviews?) Considering you have to write to acer requesting a remark would using the wrong type of pencil and smudging be a reasonable answer?

Last edited:

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
You should note that that post was made 4 years ago when a mark of 50 had a somewhat different meaning to now. Although to be fair, a mark of 50 is barely distinguishable from a mark of 20 in terms of the options it gives you to study medicine in Australia. Also, Jono barely comes on MSO these days so it's very unlikely he'll see your delightful tanty throwing indignation. Which is a shame for him really.

It was a delayed viewing, but enjoyable none the less.

kei

UoA BSc (Biomed), MBChB II
Posting this just in case someone needs this in the future :) I emailed ACER to know exactly what the recheck involves. They replied with:
“The re-check involves the optical mark read answer sheet being manually checked twice (by people). The resulting scores are then compared with the results on the electronic file to check that there had been no error in calculating or collating marks.”

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads