Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Remarking

Jeffyeh

Appeals for re-mark

Hey, has anyone had any experience/ know of someone who has had an experience with appealing to ACER for a re-mark? If so, how did it turn out? I wonder how many requests ACER would get! Thanks

Princess

Last edited:

Hydroxide

anonymouse

Because it's preeeety unlikely that they find a mistake - it's just a person checking off your answers instead of the machine.

put bluntly, it's another way for acer to extract money from you. That's just my opinion though, as I know no one who has done this.

nub

Because it's preeeety unlikely that they find a mistake - it's just a person checking off your answers instead of the machine.

put bluntly, it's another way for acer to extract money from you. That's just my opinion though, as I know no one who has done this.
That's pretty much it, ridiculously unlikely that they made a mistake. But to say that I wouldn't get my result checked had i got lower than expected/wanted? hehe

Shaq

Hi Jeffyeh, personally I'll recommend you not to waste any money to get your UMAT remarked coz a mistake is highly unlikely...

I did it once last year and that made no dif. :((btw i got raw score of 135 last yr)

But if you still want it to be remarked then i wish you luck....

bilgia

$85 not worth it. They have to mark >15k umat tests, the chances of making a mistake are insanely low. Don't waste money on it unless you really really really thought that you must have done better.
THe only scenario in which I would get a remark is if i got 0-20 percentile for all sections lol.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
depends... did you get something insanely low like 50, or did you get 0 in one section? then i might consider it. if it's just because it's a bit lower than you expected, or even quite deal lower... chances are that's the score you got. There are lots of mistakes you can make filling in forms, misunderstanding questions etc.. these are more than likely the reason why your score doesn't stack up to your expectations.

Aldarion

depends... did you get something insanely low like 50, or did you get 0 in one section? then i might consider it. if it's just because it's a bit lower than you expected, or even quite deal lower... chances are that's the score you got. There are lots of mistakes you can make filling in forms, misunderstanding questions etc.. these are more than likely the reason why your score doesn't stack up to your expectations.

god insanely low like 50???!!! wat? lol none of my section reached 50. Im like near the 0-20 % range and i had a major depression. I just cant figure out how i scored a 39 for section 2. Anyways im getting it remarked.
Good luck to those getting it remarked.

Snuffbox

The Thinker
$85 not worth it. They have to mark >15k umat tests, the chances of making a mistake are insanely low. Don't waste money on it unless you really really really thought that you must have done better.
THe only scenario in which I would get a remark is if i got 0-20 percentile for all sections lol.

To me, if they mark over 15000 tests, it'd be more LIKELY that they would make a mistake. Still, my thoughts on remarking are, if you seriously feel it's wrong, then do it, $85 isn't that much if medicine is really want you want to do. Also, just for peace of mind is sometimes nice too but yeah, if you think it'll make you feel better then I would suggest you do it but otherwise, I agree with most of the posters that it's just another way to get money from you :)

woozy

I'm just wondering is it possible for them to deduct marks, if for example your umat is borderline. Unlike the HSC, etc if you pay for a clerical remark they guarentee they can't lower your mark even if they made a mistake. However ACER have made no mention that marks could be deducted.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I'm wondering how everyone is thinking a mark might be changed.... Marking the umat is as simple as putting your paper through a machine, re-marking will be just as simple.

Princess

god insanely low like 50???!!! wat? lol none of my section reached 50. Im like near the 0-20 % range and i had a major depression. I just cant figure out how i scored a 39 for section 2. Anyways im getting it remarked.

twin....don't be depressed. For your sake, I hope after the remark, your score goes up, but if it doesn't, it's the past and you can't change it. Just focus on boosting your UAI, because if you let something like this affect you at such an important time, you might jeopardise your chance of achieving the UAI you deserve. And you've still got JCU(how did the application go, did you end up doing Q3?). Good luck with getting a place their, I've got my fingers crossed for you. Look on the brightside, if that doesn't work out, we can be UMAT study buddies next year.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

I meant 50 overall.

TimmyG

So basically, here is my situation. I've copied it from the closed thread:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with requesting a UMAT remark? I was considering getting a remark, as I got 47 for Section 1, which is below the 50th percentile. My other two sections were solid - i.e. 90th and 80th percentiles. It could be feasible that my Section 1 score was 47, however, I've been thinking it would make a huge difference if it turned out not to be.

I emailed ACER, and they gave me a form, and told me basically that it was very unlikely there was a mistake. I also asked them if my mark turned out to be lower than original, what would happen. They just said that if my mark turned out to be wrong, both me and the Unis would be notified, and my money would be refunded.

Opinions?

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Heres the thing, marking your UMAT paper is as simple as putting your answer sheet through a machine that reads which circles you shaded. There's not very much room for error there and if you opt for a remark then it will simply be put through the machine again.

So, yes, it's very unlikely that a mistake has been made, however, you have only your money to lose if you do decide to get your paper remarked.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
And also, you may have stuffed up by accidentally filling in the wrong boxes or skipping a box etc.

TimmyG

And also, you may have stuffed up by accidentally filling in the wrong boxes or skipping a box etc.

That is exactly what makes the UMAT stupid as a way of discerning who would make a good doctor or not. If someone skipped a box, does that really mean that they can't be a good doctor?

br00t

That is exactly what makes the UMAT stupid as a way of discerning who would make a good doctor or not. If someone skipped a box, does that really mean that they can't be a good doctor?

Nope, that just seems like bad luck.

Kittie

If someone skipped a box, does that really mean that they can't be a good doctor?

No, it just means you need to re-take a test that unfortnately comes but once every year. One could argue that it does reflect accuracy when under stress though.

This situation rears it's ugly head in all machine marked papers, my brother was hit by the same mistake twice :lol:. One exam he couldn't repeat, and again this year in a uni exam which attracted negative marks for incorrect MC questions. On the second exam he would have passed had he not done the multiple choice at all. He got lucky with that one and recieved an academic sup exam (even though well below the accepted pass mark to gain a sup) but only because a human marker realised that all his answers were one spot out on the answer sheet.

Unless ACER have the test re-marked by a human who might pick up something like poor shading technique in the circles, then I seriously see no point in paying to have the same machine mark it again.