Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Study Tips

pharm

I have been doing a few prac exams etc and honestly my scores have not been improving much. What are some things I can do?
Are you guys finding sec 2 options are bit too vague? Like there's always more than one right answer , I feel. Further, what are some good problem solving tips?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

InZane

Umat is pretty useless. I believe several universities have done studies showing no correlation between a good umat score and becoming a successful medical practitioner. But then again Im at JCU and I might have a little bias :lol::lol:

cc101

I am done 4 practice exams and got 70-79 out of 134. Is it really bad. I have not been able to improve further.

Dr's ABC's

I think practice is helpful for the reason being you get an idea of how much TIME PRESSURE umat puts on a candidate, I also think you can get a feel for how to go about tackling a question so I'm definitely a fan of doing some prep!

For motivation I've found it useful to talk to current med students, to hear how they are going, and also what strategies got them through the UMAT. Q&A type sessions with med students like these are great http://www.facebook.com/events/1695199230710782/

frootloop

Doctor
Just another friendly reminder that MSO has a complete ban on discussing UMAT prep courses - particularly by name.

Quacks

MBChB VI
How do you guys find practice papers??

do you pay for access to practice papers??
When you register to sit the UMAT, Acer gives you a practice paper. I think they have a total of 3 available and another resource called additional practice questions.
There's also obviously p**p courses that you can pay for but they haven't been proven to help with performance in the UMAT, after all it's an 'aptitude test' :p. The practice papers I think have around 128 questions each, which should be more than enough for practice, but each to their own :)

Sevda

Does anyone know if there is any UMAT preparation book? If so, what's the name and where can I purchase it? Thanks :)

cc101

Does anyone know if there is any UMAT preparation book? If so, what's the name and where can I purchase it? Thanks :)
there are many online courses and few courses provide books as they are not online. I can not mention the names on this forum. do google search

Dazzy

pink, 113
start studying for the UMAT now! don't waste your school holidays :)
A lot of people on here say that prep doesn't work but I think it definitely does, but what's important is the WAY you prep for the umat there's a method to it okay (pm me for more info)

deuce

Just my two cents - the 2nd time around I pretty much used the ACER tests - they now have videos explaining how to answer questions step by step, which are really useful. Funnily enough, I also found that looking at resources for the LSAT (Law school admissions test- there are plenty of online resources) actually helped me for section 1, which ended up transforming from my worst to my best section.

LBoG

BMedSci/MD-JMP II UoN
I have been doing a few prac exams etc and honestly my scores have not been improving much. What are some things I can do?
Are you guys finding sec 2 options are bit too vague? Like there's always more than one right answer , I feel. Further, what are some good problem solving tips?
Thanks in advance
For improvement in Section 2 I would stress reading anything and everything and as widely as possible. Particularly fiction books written in third person. I feel it gives you a chance to get used to similar scenarios that you'll find in S2 questions and then gives you a handy explanation of the feelings the characters are experiencing. As someone who has performed well in S2, this is what I credit as a big part of the reason why - I read a LOT.

Just my two cents - the 2nd time around I pretty much used the ACER tests - they now have videos explaining how to answer questions step by step, which are really useful. Funnily enough, I also found that looking at resources for the LSAT (Law school admissions test- there are plenty of online resources) actually helped me for section 1, which ended up transforming from my worst to my best section.
What did you get in each of the sections? did you get into medical school?