Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Study Tips

ashk_33

Can any of you med students who've taken the UMAT give a 2008 med hopeful some tips on the UMAT? i.e-Time constituents, Question difficulty etc.
Much Appreciated :D

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
b/c of some restrictions on what we can post on forums, this conversation might be stifled a little. www.boredofstudies.org might be a good idea to explore some related topics.

in terms of the actual umat structure have u checked out acer's website and information? and the wikipedia site for it?

lordgarlic

MSO Kiwi #1
Emeritus Staff
only discussions on UMAT products are prohibited. UMAT exam discussion I think is still allowed. (right isuru?)

kevin

I snapped when I read the name of this topic, but seeing as the UMAT section is deleted, I've calmed down.

Anyways, just listen to AC

ashk_33

Oh no im not talkin bout going to those courses in preparation for the UMAT, I mean just general tips for the UMAT that could help someone who has no intention of going to one of those courses.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
My only suggestion would be to keep reading books, even in year 12, and try to be a critical thinker. So, why does that person think that, what may be influencing them (section 1) and how might this person be feeling after that happened, how might I feel if I were in that situation (section 2). As far as I'm concerned, a well-read person is at a huge advantage because they've read about a variety of situations and experiences.

kcchippy

yeah *sigh* I probably need help with UMAT too. I don't see how being well read helps with section 1 that much though, I mean I read heaps about different things, didn't help me at all, but that's just me.

not to say that it works against you, I guess reading a lot of different material and picking out their meaning and getting into the habit of just summarising like 1 page worth of stuff in say a sentence or two under the constraints of a min or so would help. In other words simulating UMAT conditions, so not just wide reading, but actually reading with purpose as you would in the umat.

Anyways I'm more inclined to say that I struggle severely with section 3

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by kcchippy@Feb 21 2007, 07:37 PM
yeah *sigh* I probably need help with UMAT too. I don't see how being well read helps with section 1 that much though, I mean I read heaps about different things, didn't help me at all, but that's just me.

not to say that it works against you, I guess reading a lot of different material and picking out their meaning and getting into the habit of just summarising like 1 page worth of stuff in say a sentence or two under the constraints of a min or so would help. In other words simulating UMAT conditions, so not just wide reading, but actually reading with purpose as you would in the umat.

Anyways I'm more inclined to say that I struggle severely with section 3
[snapback]33325[/snapback]​

You'll do better the second time round, mostly everyone does. Maybe you see how being well-read helps you draw logical conclusions, evaluate data and selectively read evidence?

kcchippy

Originally posted by animadverted@Feb 21 2007, 07:41 PM
You'll do better the second time round, mostly everyone does. Maybe you see how being well-read helps you draw logical conclusions, evaluate data and selectively read evidence?
[snapback]33326[/snapback]​

I think UMAT is a very specific application though. Like being well read is great and sure it helps but I would say that the biggest problem for people that I've spoken to is time in section 1, so yeah sure logical conclusions and whatever are facilitated by reading widely but they're not under the same conditions as the UMAT. I was just saying that you have to take it one step further and start consciously thinking about the process of reading and actively reading. Like it's easy to be well read and know how to draw conclusions fairly automatically from information when you're in the leisure of your own home, I just think it'd be more useful to practice having to frantically scan a 1 page long response and draw out important bits of information and maybe work on memory recall and yeah I don't know, I just think it is more useful to actually be more active in the way that you approach it, just wide reading isn't going to help much if you don't simulate similar conditions.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
The thing is, although we might have done well enough in the UMAT to gain entry into our preferred course, we are still far from experts.

The best thing to do is use a UMAT **** ****** (although I don't think the UMAT should be prepared for, to be fair).

Note that I'm not suggesting a particular UMAT **** ******; that decision is up to you.

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
section 1: read a newspaper article and assume its a load of BS (it usually is :p)... then find out why. if there's an article about for example "power lines linked to cancer" then critically read the information they give u. what stastics do they provide? what's the source? can u reasonably infer what they r implying from those stats? who is speaking? could they be biased? is this more emotional rhetoric than factual?

also get like a statistics (or really any science) textbook and learn how to interpret graphs. if that's not your forte, make it.

get used 2 reading lots of information in short periods of time. i did well in section one (74, 99%) and i did it by QUICKLY reading the question, then reading the information the question is based on (again, quickly, but taking in important stuff) and then reading the options CAREFULLY to choose the correct one.

logical problems that u can find on the internet r good too.

section 2: novels, soap operas, having a chat with elderly relatives about stuff, talking to your siblings and their friends about stuff going on in their lives- basically learn how to think like other ppl.

section 3: well some ppl say mensa style problems help. basically, get the old umat questions that acer provides for $16 a booklet (srsly a very important investment) and have a look at the types of questions they have for sec 3. then try and find similar ones, and do them.

practice practice practice

Oodelally

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
the graduate med's guide to doing UMAT

1) eat cheese
2) hit on the hottest girl/guy (whatever floats your boat) in the UMAT room
3) DO NOT FORGET TO GET HER/HIS NUMBER
4) dont care about the exam. Have fun for three years doing another degree and enter graduate medicine. Go out and learn a thing or two, enjoy your youth, and dont waste much in the way of time but gain lots in terms of wisdom.
5) eat a lot of cheese
6) Act important just to ensure annonymity
7) go into the room talking about metaphorical elephants losing baloons
8) remain caalm under all circumstances
9) dont live in a country area. it sucks for getting to exams
10) go to grad med. soo. unbelievabl. awesome. true story
11) grad med is kewl
12) Go grad med
13) cheese is good
14) Really, grad med is awesome
15) really REALLY.
16) Costume is always good for exam days. My personal preference: sloth, that way when you hadn upside down under the desk, nobody will complain.
17) Hard
18) Mad.
19) People will respect you if you take a stethescope into the exam. You will look the part
20) a sphygmomoneometer wouldnt hurt either

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Some words of advice for doing well at section II of UMAT (and life)

1.) If somebody has a foreign sounding name they're evil, don't believe or trust them
2.) If a man and a woman are in conflict, go with the man's view, ALWAYS
3.) All old people are geriatric, don't trust what they say, remember or think
4.) All children are liers
5.) Any man with unkempt hair is untrustworthy and probably a communist
6.) Never trust a married woman's opinion, wives shouldn't have opinions
7.) Old people need to be told what to do and given no choices, power or dignity
8.) Children need to be told what to do and given no choices, power or dignity
9.) Immigrants/indiginous people/other foreign types need to be told what to do and given no choices, power or dignity
10.) Never trust anybody who speaks a language other than English.
11.) NEVER EVER take the advice of hippies, in fact activly go against it, no matter how logical or obvious it may seem, to be on the safe side dont answer any questions containing someone you suspect may be a hippy.
12.) Men with men and women with women is unnatural, so make sure you disregard this possiblitiy in all your thinking, the UMAT people aren't as sick, valueless, pinky, left communis, queens as you SICKO!

Did I miss anything? :p :p :p :p

Oodelally

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
12.) Men with men and women with women is unnatural, so make sure you disregard this possiblitiy in all your thinking, the UMAT people aren't as sick, valueless, pinky, left communis, queens as you SICKO!

Did I miss anything? tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

tolerance?

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Oodelally are you a hippy... or a communist?

kcchippy

Originally posted by Oodelally@Feb 21 2007, 09:54 PM
the graduate med's guide to doing UMAT

1) eat cheese
3) DO NOT FORGET TO GET HER/HIS NUMBER
4) dont care about the exam. Have fun for three years doing another degree and enter graduate medicine. Go out and learn a thing or two, enjoy your youth, and dont waste much in the way of time but gain lots in terms of wisdom.
5) eat a lot of cheese
6) Act important just to ensure annonymity
7) go into the room talking about metaphorical elephants losing baloons
8) remain caalm under all circumstances
9) dont live in a country area. it sucks for getting to exams
10) go to grad med. soo. unbelievabl. awesome. true story
11) grad med is kewl
12) Go grad med
13) cheese is good
14) Really, grad med is awesome
15) really REALLY.
16) Costume is always good for exam days. My personal preference: sloth, that way when you hadn upside down under the desk, nobody will complain.
17) Hard
18) Mad.
19) People will respect you if you take a stethescope into the exam. You will look the part
20) a sphygmomoneometer wouldnt hurt either
[snapback]33344[/snapback]​

So eat cheese and do grad med?

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by Oodelally@Feb 21 2007, 10:54 PM
1) eat cheese
[snapback]33344[/snapback]​

1.5) Clean teeth and freshen breath?

Cause seriously 1) is going to hamper 2) unless you do something about cheesebreath

Oodelally

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
hippy sloth. that being said. my background is not related to my comment at all. not one iota. didnt impact on it a bit *goes to hug a tree*

From my research, 4 out of ever 5 girls like cheese breath*

*may or may not be true

kcchippy

What kind of research exactly are you talking about? Haha did you like eat lots of cheese then try to make out with lots of girls and see if they were repulsed or not?
:p