Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb MBBS

houda

Does UMELB have a greater enrolment number than monash does for med? I hear that UMELB is the hardest uni to get into for 'normal' people? Is it like Australia's most prestigous med uni?

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
lol... waits for the arguments to begin.

short answer: melb does not use interviews, monash does. because of the extra selection criteria of interviews, it is possible to get into monash with lower enters and umats, but most ppl who go there still seem 2 get pretty good scores.

prestige is subjective.

complicated

Despite popular uninformed belief, many successful Monash students did have Monash as a first preference. I know people who got into Melbourne, who didn't get into Monash, and of course, vice-versa. Whether one uni is harder to get into than another is based on your strengths and weaknesses and how well you perform in the selection criteria.

Prestige and other factors people tend to use to determine which uni is better than another are all subjective.

houda

Monash is umelb's 'elite cross-town' competitor as quoted from the age on saturaday. UMELB is also phasing out its med degree within the next 4 years, dunno when exactly though?

iddybiddy

Ok, well I'm one of those people that had Monash as my first preference and didn't get accepted. But I did get into UMelb, lol.

Um, because UMelb is like, the 2nd oldest university in Australia (after USyd, I think) and their med school is the oldest (I *think*) in the country, it is considered to be more 'established' and prestigious. UMelb is also affiliated with a 'prestigious' teaching hospital - the Royal Melbourne Hospital. If you did a street survey, most people *would* consider UMelb to be more 'prestigious' than Monash. But whether the prestige of what med school you attend actually has any impact on your career after graduation is very questionable.

Body

Originally posted by Pr0digy@Apr 17 2007, 05:04 PM
Um, because UMelb is like, the 2nd oldest university in Australia (after USyd, I think) and their med school is the oldest (I *think*) in the country, it is considered to be more 'established' and prestigious. UMelb is also affiliated with a 'prestigious' teaching hospital - the Royal Melbourne Hospital. If you did a street survey, most people *would* consider UMelb to be more 'prestigious' than Monash. But whether the prestige of what med school you attend actually has any impact on your career after graduation is very questionable.
[snapback]39102[/snapback]​

Just for clarification, UniMelb's medical school is the oldest in the country.

And BTW, there is a Monash student who has been regularly coming to our lectures!

Regarding intake numbers, I'm not sure on the total figures for Monash but including internationals, full fee locals and graduates UniMelb admits about 330. Out of those 330, 145 are local CSP & CSP bonded places compared to Monash's 122. See http://www.medicine.unimelb.edu.au/future/mbbs.html for more info on UniMelb's intake numbers.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
Holy crap I had no idea how many they admitted. That's HUGE!

Make my uni's med cohort look tiny.

Body

Originally posted by Hayden2102@Apr 17 2007, 08:28 PM
Holy crap I had no idea how many they admitted. That's HUGE!

Make my uni's med cohort look tiny.
[snapback]39144[/snapback]​

Yeah, I didn't feel so exclusive when I first found that out. :(

I guess it's just proportional to the size of the state :p

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by Body@Apr 17 2007, 09:14 PM
Just for clarification, UniMelb's medical school is the oldest in the country.

And BTW, there is a Monash student who has been regularly coming to our lectures!

[snapback]39141[/snapback]​

I'm not sure why you would, considering that monash already has 25 contact hours... how you would get time is beyond me. Unless you lived in Parkville...

kevin

I'm actually VERY curious as to who that is =/

then again I know a lot of people from UMelb that come to Monash just to catch up with others quite often, but they don't go to the lectures

Body

Originally posted by Pr0digy@Apr 19 2007, 08:08 PM
Who's been comin to our lectures???!?!
[snapback]39414[/snapback]​

Sorry. I can't tell you. Confidentiality and all that.

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Poor doomed Melbourne MBBS. Anyone writing a eulogy yet?

All that's bright must fade, the brightest still the fleetest,
All that's sweet as made, to be taken away when sweetest.

*Plays the funeral march*

kevin

Originally posted by Body@Apr 20 2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry. I can't tell you. Confidentiality and all that.
[snapback]39623[/snapback]​

Sorry. I don't believe you. BS confidentiality, you could always PM it.

Freaking technical UMelb students :rolleyes:

iddybiddy

Originally posted by Kyle@Apr 20 2007, 10:50 PM
Poor doomed Melbourne MBBS. Anyone writing a eulogy yet?

All that's bright must fade, the brightest still the fleetest,
All that's sweet as made, to be taken away when sweetest.

*Plays the funeral march*
[snapback]39626[/snapback]​

Dude, get a grip.