Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb UMelb Medicine: La Trobe University Provisional Rural Entry

O

OptimistPrime

Just thought I’d put it out there that La Trobe is starting a new course that gives rural students provisional entry into University of Melbourne’s postgraduate new Rural Doctor of Medicine program in Sheparton.

Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Medical)* [La Trobe: Bendigo/Albury-Wodonga]

Prerequisites:
-RA2-RA5 for 5 years (consecutive) or 10 years (cumulative)
-85 ATAR (without SEAS adjustment)
-VCE: study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or at least 25 in English other than EAL. At least 25 in Chemistry.
-HSC: One of English (Standard), English (Advanced) (Band 3), English as a Second Language (Band 4). Chemistry (Band 3).
-brief written personal statement on VTAC
-completed high school within the last 2 years

From there, admission is based on your MMI interview and your SEAS-adjusted ATAR.
La Trobe said:
The MMI will consist of situational questions focussing on: advocacy, collaboration, critical thinking, empathy, ethical reasoning, motivation, and regional identification.

The course is available in Bendigo and Albury-Wodonga (separate VTAC course codes)

*Not to be confused with La Trobe’s already existing course, “Bachelor of Biomedical Science” (not 'medical') - which has a separate VTAC course code and isn't a guarantee, but will fulfill Melbourne second year physiology/biochem/anatomy prereqs so that you can apply via the GAMSAT. sarangiya Crow

Doctor of Medicine (Rural) [University of Melbourne: Sheparton]

A 75 WAM is required to guarantee a place in the course through the provisional pathway.
I'm not sure if there is a legal obligation to work rurally after the degree. However:
La Trobe said:
The expectation is that you will practice in a regional location.

This is (afaik) correct as of Jan 2019 but may change since the course is very new!!

More info: Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Medical), Courses and degrees, La Trobe University

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I have been looking at this course and from my understanding.. once you are into the 'Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Medical) program.. you are still competing against the 140+ other students for the ~15 spots into medicine after the three years. So it's not really guaranteed even if you are eligible with marks. Is that what everyones understanding is?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi! I have been looking at this course and from my understanding.. once you are into the 'Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Medical) program.. you are still competing against the 140+ other students for the ~15 spots into medicine after the three years. So it's not really guaranteed even if you are eligible with marks. Is that what everyones understanding is?
From the link in the post above
"The University of Melbourne requires students to have a 70 WAM (weighted average mark) and a continued commitment to country living whilst completing the course in order to guarantee a place in the Doctor of Medicine course."

So I think it is guaranteed for the students specifically selected in this pathway. Not sure where you got the 140+ from, it could be there are other students enrolled in these classes but outside of the guarantee cohort.

"The University of Melbourne requires students to have a 70 WAM (weighted average mark) and a continued commitment to country living whilst completing the course in order to guarantee a place in the Doctor of Medicine course."

So I think it is guaranteed for the students specifically selected in this pathway. Not sure where you got the 140+ from, it could be there are other students enrolled in these classes but outside of the guarantee cohort.

That's helpful thanks and makes more sense considering they are interviewing and doing MMI for the selected pathway places. I spoke with someone working for La Trobe and they said that there were approx 147 people entering in 2019 cohort.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

A1 just checking your quote refers to La Trobe uni and not UMelb as you seem to have indicated. Are these the same things or am I really confused??

A1

Rookie Doc
A1 just checking your quote refers to La Trobe uni and not UMelb as you seem to have indicated. Are these the same things or am I really confused??
It looks like you are confused :p

I'm pretty sure this thread refers to the 15 provisional MD places UMelb has granted to LaTrobe's BBiomedSc, similar to Griffith's 20 places to USC (or am I confused myself haha).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It looks like you are confused :p

I'm pretty sure this thread refers to the 15 provisional MD places UMelb has granted to LaTrobe's BBiomedSc, similar to Griffith's 20 places to SCU (or am I confused myself haha).

I just saw UMelb and La Trobe being used what felt like interchangeably! Haha! It seems weird UMelb would do this given La Trobe have their own graduate entry Med program (don’t they??)!

(graduate entry is definitely not my strong suit, though!!)

Unluckydude

That's helpful thanks and makes more sense considering they are interviewing and doing MMI for the selected pathway places. I spoke with someone working for La Trobe and they said that there were approx 147 people entering in 2019 cohort.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Medical) is different to the normal Bachelor of Biomedical Science. They have different VTAC codes.

Caffeine

Hello ,

Just wondering if anyone who has done the MMI for La Trobe is able to clarify something for me, how many stations are there for the MMI and how long is each of the stations ? . Thank you

Hello ,

Just wondering if anyone who has done the MMI for La Trobe is able to clarify something for me, how many stations are there for the MMI and how long is each of the stations ? . Thank you
Hi mate I got an interview for this round it looks like there are 7 stations 4 questions per station. 5 minutes per station.
Hope that helps🙂

Last edited by a moderator:

TBJ

Just incase if anyone is wondering, the Bachelor of Biomedical Science (medical) program by La Trobe University guarantees you a bonded place into the Doctor of Medicine program offered by University of Melbourne.
1611654861421.png

A1

Rookie Doc
Just incase if anyone is wondering, the Bachelor of Biomedical Science (medical) program by La Trobe University guarantees you a bonded place into the Doctor of Medicine program offered by University of Melbourne.
That's a bit RUDE of UMelb. The other schools don't make their rural-entry students automatically bonded.

Reactions: TBJ

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
What's the personal statement for La Trobe?
Not sure if its available to look at now as its on VTAC and VTAC hasnt opened yet, but does anyone know what the question was?

day331

What's the personal statement for La Trobe?
Not sure if its available to look at now as its on VTAC and VTAC hasnt opened yet, but does anyone know what the question was?
From memory I think it was describe your community + in what ways did you contribute to your community.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yeah it definitely appears that way... seems weird for a provisional program but they have a whole tab for applicants with higher educations study