Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb UMelb Medicine: Provisional Entry Questions and Discussion

I believe you're offered Chancellor's Scholar positions automatically i.e. you just select a VTAC preference and then the uni will contact you.

My understanding is that with a Chancellor's Scholar position (ATAR 99.9+) your degree (both undergraduate and MD) is paid for, whereas the full fee guarantee (for ATAR 99+) means you will have to pay for both your undergraduate and the full fee of the MD once you get there.

Lear can confirm the above though.
Can I ask, if you get 99+ ATAR and then don't get a Commonwealth funded MD spot, can you pay all of your fees with HECS?

Crow

MD3 | Staff
Can I ask, if you get 99+ ATAR and then don't get a Commonwealth funded MD spot, can you pay all of your fees with HECS?
If I’ve understood your question correctly, no. If you get a full fee paying position (as is the one guaranteed with the 99+ system) then you can’t get a HECS loan.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
You can get a FEE-HELP loan though, but that maxes out at $150,000... IIRC the MD at Melbourne is about 75k/year so it’s about 2 years of the MD minus whatever you spent on undergrad

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator

The details are here: HECS-HELP | StudyAssist

Note it specifies you must be occupying a Commonwealth supported place in order to be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan. For UMelb MD provisional entry, you’d need 99.90 for this.

You would have to go FEE-HELP or private loan or loan from parents, etc.

saint403

Lurker
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just had a question regarding the Chancellors scholars MMI.

In 2020, I received an ATAR of 99.90 and a 96th ucat percentile, but was unable to get into Monash University Medicine (Unbonded and Extended Rural Cohort were my 1st and 2nd preference), and I was quite sure that this was due to my performance in the MMI. I really wanted to study medicine, and I was very disappointed that I could not study this course.

I am currently studying biomedicine at the university of melbourne as a chancellors scholar. While I am certainly aware that this is such a privileged and lucky position to be in as I do not have to worry about the GAMSAT and my WAM, I cannot help feeling unconfident and uncertain about the MMI in third year. Recently I have been feeling that my failure (?) to perform well in the monash MMI could mean that I am not apt to study medicine or become a doctor at all, and I just feel very lost.

Would anyone be able to share their thoughts on my situation if they know of similar experiences, or could anyone please share any advice on how I should spend my time during my bachelors degree to prepare myself for the MMI? Thanks very much for your help.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Recently I have been feeling that my failure (?) to perform well in the monash MMI could mean that I am not apt to study medicine or become a doctor at all, and I just feel very lost.
I suggest you sit UCAT again this year, if you get 96%ile or better you should get a JMP interview and possibly WSU. Even if you can't afford to move interstate to study at these unis, use their MMIs to gain experience/confidence for the Melb MMI.

Other than that, we hear the Chancellors MMI's fail rate is quite low so don't feel so disheartened. Best of luck.