Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb Prescribed Textbooks

Melbourne Med 08 *Prescribed* Booklist:
(note: there are twice as many *recommended* books)

s Practical Anatomy: Guide And Dissector Anatomedia
Eizenberg & Briggs (edition: 2ed06)

Anatomy
s Biochemistry
Berg, Jeremy & Tymoczko, John & Stryer, L (edition 6ed06)

s Lehninger’s Principles of Biochemistry
Nelson, David & Cox, Michael (edition: 4E04)

Medicine
s Mim’s Medical Microbiology
Goering, Richard et al (edition 4rev07)

s Pathology: Clinicopathologic Foundations of Medicine
Rubin, Emanuel et al (edition 4ED04)

Pathology
s Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
Kumar et al (edition 7ED05)

s Pharmacology
Rang, Dale & Ritter (edition: 6ed07)

Pharmacology
s Human Physiology
Rhoades & Pflanzer (edition 4ED02)

Physiology
s Immunology
Male et al (edition: 7ed06)

s Janeway’s Immunobiology
Murphy, Kenneth (edition: 7ed07)

s Molecular Biology in Medicine
Cox & Sinclair (edition: 1996)

I dont know why there are books on Physiology under the Pharmacology heading, or Biochemistry under Anatomy, but just letting ppl know that theyre not typos, thats how the booklist lists them! (someone enlighten me on why this is? Im guessing that there must be a lot of overlap, I suppose.)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
LOL, i believe your booklist may list some categories underneath the list of books in that category... namely, anatomy and physiology...

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
It should read:

Anatomy
Practical Anatomy: Guide And Dissector Anatomedia
Eizenberg & Briggs (edition: 2ed06) Anatomy

Biochemistry
Lehninger’s Principles of Biochemistry
Nelson, David & Cox, Michael (edition: 4E04) Medicine
Mim’s Medical Microbiology

Pathology
Clinicopathologic Foundations of Medicine
Rubin, Emanuel et al (edition 4ED04) Pathology
Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease

Pharmacology
Rang, Dale & Ritter (edition: 6ed07) Pharmacology

Human Physiology
Rhoades & Pflanzer (edition 4ED02) Physiology

Immunology
Janeway’s Immunobiology
Molecular Biology in Medicine

Syntax errors all over the place.

mintychoc

It should read:

Anatomy
Practical Anatomy: Guide And Dissector Anatomedia
Eizenberg & Briggs (edition: 2ed06) Anatomy

Biochemistry
Lehninger’s Principles of Biochemistry
Nelson, David & Cox, Michael (edition: 4E04) Medicine
Mim’s Medical Microbiology

Pathology
Clinicopathologic Foundations of Medicine
Rubin, Emanuel et al (edition 4ED04) Pathology
Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease

Pharmacology
Rang, Dale & Ritter (edition: 6ed07) Pharmacology

Human Physiology
Rhoades & Pflanzer (edition 4ED02) Physiology

Immunology
Janeway’s Immunobiology
Molecular Biology in Medicine

Syntax errors all over the place.

Asking any ex-first years whether is it essential to get Histology (Gardner and Hiatt) and Biochemistry (Lehninger) for the first year. :) I'm using Guyton and Hall instead of Rhoades and Phlanzers..mainly because my sis already has that book. But, I heard that it's too detailed..any comments?

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Having used both, I can say that Guyton is a lot more detailed than Rhoades... but, really, Rhoades is probably a little a too basic. There's nothing wrong with a little bit more detail.

Personally, I think you'd be better off just getting the histology and biochem texts from the library... you don't use them quite as much after first semester. Mind you this coming from my first year, and while UWS did buy the UMelb curriculum I think you guys do more detail.

mintychoc

Having used both, I can say that Guyton is a lot more detailed than Rhoades... but, really, Rhoades is probably a little a too basic. There's nothing wrong with a little bit more detail.

Personally, I think you'd be better off just getting the histology and biochem texts from the library... you don't use them quite as much after first semester. Mind you this coming from my first year, and while UWS did buy the UMelb curriculum I think you guys do more detail.

okay, thanks so much! you've made my day! :) i was wondering abt it for ages. :)

mintychoc

one last question!!

is Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy useful?? It's not on the booklist, but i heard about the book from my seniors. Recommended? Yes? No? Anyone?

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
I don't know how much gross anatomy you guys do in first year, but particularly for musculoskeletal, I'd say Netter is essential.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
The library has all the textbooks at most uni's... it's more about having your own copy at home for exactly when you need it...

mintychoc

I agree..well, I'm sure that the libraries have everything I need, but I'm afraid that they'll all be borrowed out, especially during the exam period. And then I'll be stuck with nothing! Thanks Hayden, I'll take your opinion into consideration..anyone else,especially UMelb MBBS students, who can help? I don't know how much anatomy I'm doing in first year either!

scarah

best thing bout newcastle...none of this textbook hassle...the library has all

mmm but does the library have enough copies for everyone in the course to borrow it the week before the exam...

Take if from someone who has worked at UniMelb libraries for nearly 10 years - if it's prescribed it'll be in the library guaranteed but it you need to study from it a lot then so does the rest of your year level and it'll be hard to get hold of.

And the fines get pretty hefty for not returning books ... I've seen people with literally hundreds of dollars worth of library fines and until you pay your fines you can't get your uni results at the end of semester.

So MintyChoc my advice is stop stressing about it now, wait until semester starts and try and get a feel for how much you need the books. Have a look at the library copies and check the notice boards outside the biomed library for 2nd hand copies. But if the whole subject is based on just one text then buy it - because the stress of trying to get hold of a library copy along with another 100 people is not worth it.

beks29

Thats right, prescribed and even recommended books have tons of people requesting it, so you could end up waiting not just weeks but months for the books

I have noticed that as you go into the higher years, people get more studious and request lists for booksform earlier. Last yr (was my 2nd yr of pharm) after the first day of uni, every prescribed and recommended textbook was borrowed out and and a couple of requests after it...

mintychoc

Ohh...I was just wondering earlier, because it IS cheaper (about 3X!) to get my books over here (international versions), in my local currency, so if it's recommended, I would rather just get it here. But even though it's cheaper, it's still expensive, which is why I'm seeking second opinions. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

This is more of a general question on textbooks

When it says Edition 7ED05, Edition 4ED04, 5ED05, etc, what does that mean?
7ED05 = 7th Edition, released in 2005, perhaps?

Thanks

scarah

This is more of a general question on textbooks

When it says Edition 7ED05, Edition 4ED04, 5ED05, etc, what does that mean?
7ED05 = 7th Edition, released in 2005, perhaps?

Thanks

I think that sounds like a reasonable theory.