Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNE B.Med 2012 Roll Call!

What immunisations do i need to have/have record of? I was supposed to receive my enrolment package in the mail but it hasn't come yet and I want to get it done before I go as I work for a GP.

UNEMED

Don't worry just yet! The immunisations you need are on the NSW health website.

The things to remember are as follows:
1. Get all your paperwork from your GP, and all your injections signed and stamped (including TB)
2. UNE will probably stuff up your paperwork, organise it yourself

Get this one Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination against Specified Infectious Diseases for HealthCareStudents

and don't stress.

Belicri

Lurker
New in Armidale!

Hi, I'm spanish and in a few days I'll be in Armidale. I would like to meet other students.

Regards and thanks!!

furl

Congrats guys you will love it out there. Don't stress. Everything will be explained at some stage. Don't buy books until you arrive in Armidale as the medical school has a great library plus a book scheme to buy books. Clothes casual with one pair clinical will be fine. Make sure you have warm clothes. It gets bloody cold out there. The main thing is accommodation. Make sure you organise that. The uni has good on campus options.

Any other questions just let me know.

Hayzazz

Is it really important to go to Orientation Week? From what I've read online, people say its kinda compulsary... but I'll be in the USA until 22nd of Feb so I can't exactly go...

furl

Don't worry too much. You will be very supported through out the year that orientation is nice but USA is better. UNE is small and you will know everyone doing med within the first few weeks.

UNEMED

Is it really important to go to Orientation Week? From what I've read online, people say its kinda compulsary... but I'll be in the USA until 22nd of Feb so I can't exactly go...

In our year it was kind of doubled up, because UNE started one week before UON.

Unfortunately you will miss out on the Anatomy first week grilling :)

Hayzazz

In our year it was kind of doubled up, because UNE started one week before UON.

Unfortunately you will miss out on the Anatomy first week grilling :)
Wait what? The JMP BMed calender on UNE says the semester starts on 4th March. Is there work I need to do before this date?

Syn

O'Week would be one of the best weeks of your life (if you stay at a good college), but you wouldn't really miss anything in particular regarding uni work apart from Anatomy, but I'm sure you can work around that.

tconno

Lurker
Congratulations to everyone,

I’m starting Med this year at UNE and trying to work out when I can possibly fit work into the first year med timetable. From previous years, are there any tutes etc on Tuesday afternoons/nights, Friday nights and weekends?
Thanks.

Hayzazz

Oh one more question. In my 4th and 5th years in clinical placements, will I ever need to stay at Armidale for any period?

I'm from Sydney, so I'm planning to go to the Gosford hospital so I can live at home in 4th and 5th year if possible..

Syn

Tuesday nights you will have Anatomy from 6 - 9, depending on if you're in a certain PBL group, you may have PBL on Thursday night (but most probably not). Nothing on Friday nights or weekends. All Armidale students will have to do one year Urban placement, so yes you could possibly get Gosford for both Years 4 and 5.

UNEMED

Wait what? The JMP BMed calender on UNE says the semester starts on 4th March. Is there work I need to do before this date?

Ah, but when does Newcastle start? for some it was the equivalent of the 11th of march ie 2 weeks of o-week, UNE o week and UON o week.

In saying that, if you are doing the anatomy elective (highly recommended), those 2 weeks are hard to catch up on without that first week for some.

As the above poster said, o week is enjoyable for some, but for others it is a huge waste of time.

Jordan

Oh one more question. In my 4th and 5th years in clinical placements, will I ever need to stay at Armidale for any period?

I'm from Sydney, so I'm planning to go to the Gosford hospital so I can live at home in 4th and 5th year if possible..

after leaving home for 3 years I'd be very surprised if you went back and lived at home... I've been out for 3 years now and can't go home for more than about a week at a time. That level of independence is hard to relinquish

Emmmmma

[MENTION=6963]UNEMED[/MENTION] - UON Years 1/2 start back on March 4 this year :)

TO any new JMPer reading this... have you signed up to your year groups' Facebook page yet? Add yourself ASAP, and you can start meeting your soon-to-be classmates, discuss upcoming events (including O-week, First Incision, and O'Camp), and get updates from UNMS (the University of Newcastle Medical Society) and UNEMSA (University of New England Medical Students Association).
Check out: http://www.facebook.com/groups/246014412197150/

Looking forward to meeting you all, you've got a brilliant year ahead of you! :)

UNEMED

@UNEMED - UON Years 1/2 start back on March 4 this year :)

TO any new JMPer reading this... have you signed up to your year groups' Facebook page yet? Add yourself ASAP, and you can start meeting your soon-to-be classmates, discuss upcoming events (including O-week, First Incision, and O'Camp), and get updates from UNMS (the University of Newcastle Medical Society) and UNEMSA (University of New England Medical Students Association).
Check out: http://www.facebook.com/groups/246014412197150/

Looking forward to meeting you all, you've got a brilliant year ahead of you! :)

So I guess UNE will start on the 25/2 then?

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could help me with the difference between the "Medical Rural Bonded Scholarship" and a bonded place. I'm extremely confused because I was offered a CSP spot but I got a package in the mail saying I had "been selected to receive a Medical Rural Bonded (MRP) Scholarship at the University of New England in 2013". So I rang Lisa Rose and asked and she said it must have been an error because I am not a bonded student, but the more I looked into it the more it seemed that this 'scholarship' and having a bonded spot are quite different. Are they?

Also, in the letter it said "Please note, if you decline the MRB scholarship offer you are still eligible to enter the Bachelor of Medicine - Joint Medical Program without a scholarship." but then went on to say "It is most important that you understand that the scholarship you have been offered is tied to a special University place made available by the Commonwealth Government under the MRB Scholarship Scheme. This place can only be held by a person holding a MRB Scholarship". Those two statements seemed entirely contradictory to me.. Does this mean that if I decline I lose my CSP spot?

Please help! :(

Syn

That is confusing. How do you even qualify for a rural scholarship, aren't you from Brisbane? As far as I know, the two are separate things, but the MRBS sounds like you actually get paid while you study, whereas bonded you don't.

Bonded places are meant to 'make it easier' to get into med school, while the MRBS is just to reward high achieving rural students who wish to work in rural areas?? I don't actually know, I'm from Brisbane as well so I didn't even research bonded or MRBS spots when I applied.