Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: General Entry Discussion

Ri97

serial tea drinker
Can confirm I’ve heard from two sources (though don’t know first hand) that more UNE students going into first year have done at least one year of Uni than there are school leavers.

Can confirm that this is NOT the case. There are almost equal numbers, if not more school leavers than non standard/mature students.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Can confirm that this is NOT the case. There are almost equal numbers, if not more school leavers than non standard/mature students.

Ooh, interesting. Admittedly, the two people I know are not in first year, so potentially there’s been a shift at UNE? Or it fluctuates year to year?

live1234

With a UMAT section 1 of 60 and >50 in the other two sections, can I rest assured of there being an interview offer? Stressing out rn, the wait is killing me

Renopia

BMedSci/MD-JMP V UNE
Currently in first year at UNE about 15/62 people are highschool leavers, the rest are non standard. The average age of our cohort is 20 - 21

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Currently in first year at UNE about 15/62 people are highschool leavers, the rest are non standard. The average age of our cohort is 20 - 21

This is much more in line with what I’d heard, so I was surprised when Ri97 suggested otherwise.

With a UMAT section 1 of 60 and >50 in the other two sections, can I rest assured of there being an interview offer? Stressing out rn, the wait is killing me

We can never assure you of anything, but if you’ve reported your results accurately and completed the applications appropriately, then I can’t see any reason why you won’t.

We have people every year who realise, after closing dates, that they’ve not done the applications correctly despite having adequate results, so it definitely trips people up from time to time.

live1234

We can never assure you of anything, but if you’ve reported your results accurately and completed the applications appropriately, then I can’t see any reason why you won’t.

We have people every year who realise, after closing dates, that they’ve not done the applications correctly despite having adequate results, so it definitely trips people up from time to time.[/QUOTE]

Ah thank you! We just had to do the JMP direct application and the UAC application, right? Not applying as a rural so don't have to complete those extra forms

I_love_curry

Bond MD V

We have people every year who realise, after closing dates, that they’ve not done the applications correctly despite having adequate results, so it definitely trips people up from time to time.

Ah thank you! We just had to do the JMP direct application and the UAC application, right? Not applying as a rural so don't have to complete those extra forms[/QUOTE]

Yep! That’s all that I did so I hope I didn’t screw up >.<

Ri97

serial tea drinker

Just counted and 23/62 are high school leavers. Missed about 8 people there... but they definitely feel like the majority.

A1

Rookie Doc

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does every JMP app have 'Eligible - subject to being competitive' on their UAC application?

I have that for WSU (my 1st preference) but not for JMP

Do not get too worried about UAC codes because they are notoriously incorrect. Even UAC acknowledged this last year, I believe (or it could have been JMP admissions, I can’t quite remember). But for example, last year I had a code that indicated I was ineligible for JMP but went on to get an offer.

live1234

As I mentioned above, it’s not actually odd at all (confusing, yes, annoying, probably, but not odd). And possibly representative of continued issues with the use of UAC coding.
Sorry LMG! I replied the same moment as you did, so didn't see your message :) it makes you wonder why they use the codes at all!

A1

Rookie Doc
Sorry LMG! I replied the same moment as you did, so didn't see your message :) it makes you wonder why they use the codes at all!

Although the codes can be wacky as LMG mentioned do take some action if it is unusual. Last year a person was first shown as ineligible for UQ, on checking with QTAC they were advised the IB English subject they did may not be sufficient for the prereq and should take the IELTS to be 100% certain. They did that and got a UQ provisional offer.

live1234

Although the codes can be wacky as LMG mentioned do take some action if it is unusual. Last year a person was first shown as ineligible for UQ, on checking with QTAC they were advised the IB English subject they did may not be sufficient for the prereq and should take the IELTS to be 100% certain. They did that and got a UQ provisional offer.

Ohh thank you! Appreciate it :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Oh yes, my reply, and the information about last year’s confusion and indiscriminate use of codes, pertained to UAC only!

My comment was more intended to be a “don’t panic”, rather than a “don’t double check if something seems weird”, so thanks for the extra comment, A1.