Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW BIOS 2201 ( Genetics ) or BABS 2202 ( Molecular Cell Bioloy )

bmwild

They don't post much about the topics in the Handbook from UNSW. So i was just wondering if there is anyone who has done one of these courses or knows about them and could tell me about each one.

I am planning to go into either medicine or dentistry and I would just like some information about these two subjects. I like genetics but I hear that the course is hard. I also like mitosis and meiosis but I am not too keen on the cytoskeleton.

I am also wondering about transferring credits from my A-Levels. I took UK GCE A-Levels and got pretty high in Biology and I heard that I could transfer credits from that into my course here in UNSW. What exactly would it do if I were to transfer? Would there be any sort of advantage to it?

Any help would be much appreciated :) thanks

Jordan

DO BABS!!!!!!! NNNNNNOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! WORLD'S BEST SUBJECT!!!!
Seriously though, it's kind of like an extension of BABS1201 (which is an amazing subject). There is quite a bit about the cytoskeleton though but it's super fascinating. Being a second year subject though, it would have followed on beautifully from MICR2011 which is first semester. You also begin to learn some fairly elegant (pick the lecturer who describes everything as Elegant!) lab techniques (pipetting, culturing samples, aseptic technique, using sterile hoods etc.). I absolutely loved it although it was quite hard and I didn't end up doing that well in it.
I'm now in first year med and can tell that BABS went into excruciating detail which I will probably never need to know for med. Don't do it as a stepping stone to med, do it because cell biology is amazeballs.
end Ash rant...

jackienk

Lurker
hi!

I'm thinking of doing medical science next year at unsw. However i didn't take up biology in year 12 but i did in year 11 and did quite well. Do you think that if I did well in BABS1201 in the first semester I would be allowed to do BABS2201 in the second semester?

Or is doing biology in year 12 a definite pre-req?

ohexploitable

i did bios2021

don't do it

don't do it please

please for the love of god

ohexploitable

hi!

I'm thinking of doing medical science next year at unsw. However i didn't take up biology in year 12 but i did in year 11 and did quite well. Do you think that if I did well in BABS1201 in the first semester I would be allowed to do BABS2201 in the second semester?

Or is doing biology in year 12 a definite pre-req?

i know what it says in the handbook but it's not enforced at all

i didn't do hsc bio and still did bios2021 and a bunch of other kids did that or babs2201 without hsc bio

Jordan

Did you also have to do BIOS1101 though? Back when I did it you could do BABS2202/BIOS2021 but you also had to do BIOS1101.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads