Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: General Entry Questions and Discussion

S

Sokka

Apparently for UNSW you need to submit a seperate application to the uni for med. Is this true or did I misinterpret what I read?
If so, can someone explain the process/where to find the relevant information? (I’ve already submitted my preferences via UAC btw)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Apparently for UNSW you need to submit a seperate application to the uni for med. Is this true or did I misinterpret what I read?
If so, can someone explain the process/where to find the relevant information? (I’ve already submitted my preferences via UAC btw)

Have you looked at the UNSW Medicine webpage? From memory, all Unis pretty clearly lay out in steps what you need to do.

A1

Rookie Doc

I wrote some general info in this post > Post-UCAT Discussion 2020

UNSW want you to write a brief essay about yourself, to be used as discussion points in your interview. It's not assessed/marked for interview selection or place offer.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I wrote some general info in this post > Post-UCAT Discussion 2020

UNSW want you to write a brief essay about yourself, to be used as discussion points in your interview. It's not assessed/marked for interview selection or place offer.
If it's the same system as last year, what you write in your application may be used by the interviewers as conversation starters e.g. "so you wrote here you play tennis on the weekends with friends, can you tell us more about that?". Put some thought into your application and don't make up too much BS otherwise you'll need to back it all up in the interview ;)

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast

Eleanor Rigby

Soulja-
Thank you for posting this. I can now print this out, paste it on the wall & whenever I have questions about UNSW, I simply have to read this.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
If all admission offices follow this format (not forgetting one made for non-standards, interstates, internationals); this whole process would be so much simpler!
Most unis already do the ATAR breakdown but the UCAT breakdown is something new. Most unis have a median non-rural ATAR score of 99.3~99.8 (excluding UON and WSU and JCU and any other 'outlier' schools with less standard marking criterias)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Most unis already do the ATAR breakdown but the UCAT breakdown is something new. Most unis have a median non-rural ATAR score of 99.3~99.8 (excluding UON and WSU and JCU and any other 'outlier' schools with less standard marking criterias)

To be fair to UQ, they’ve done the UMAT/UCAT breakdown for years.

shoebox

Hi,
Apologies I'm back for clarification. So on the UNSW website it states the following:

"If you've completed at least one year of university study at the end of the year prior to your desired commencement in the Medicine program, you'll be assessed on both your secondary school results and university study results. These results are combined at a ratio of 50:50. You'll require an academic rank of 96.00 or above to be considered. "

Since I have completed nearly 2 whole years of my BMedSci degree and I am applying as a non-school leaver for the standard entry (i.e. 1st-year med next year if I get in), does that mean my ATAR and WAM will be combined in a 50:50 ratio? I read somewhere on this forum that ATAR gradually decreases in weighting the further you progress in your degree, but the above statement suggests otherwise. In this case, would my 99.1 ATAR and 87 WAM still not suffice for UNSW standard entry as a non-school leaver (not Lateral)?

Sorry if I repeated myself! Just a bit unclear still. And many thanks for your help! This forum is amazing :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi,
Apologies I'm back for clarification. So on the UNSW website it states the following:

"If you've completed at least one year of university study at the end of the year prior to your desired commencement in the Medicine program, you'll be assessed on both your secondary school results and university study results. These results are combined at a ratio of 50:50. You'll require an academic rank of 96.00 or above to be considered. "

Since I have completed nearly 2 whole years of my BMedSci degree and I am applying as a non-school leaver for the standard entry (i.e. 1st-year med next year if I get in), does that mean my ATAR and WAM will be combined in a 50:50 ratio? I read somewhere on this forum that ATAR gradually decreases in weighting the further you progress in your degree, but the above statement suggests otherwise. In this case, would my 99.1 ATAR and 87 WAM still not suffice for UNSW standard entry as a non-school leaver (not Lateral)?

Sorry if I repeated myself! Just a bit unclear still. And many thanks for your help! This forum is amazing :)

Yes, your ATAR will still be combined 50:50 with GPA regardless of how much Uni you've done (I'm not sure where you read that it decreases in weighting, as that's not true at all unless something has changed recently). I applied for 2018 entry and my GPA was combined with an ATAR equivalent I achieved approximately one gazillion years ago, despite having *cough*four*cough* completed degrees by then. As UNSW combine ATAR with GPA, not WAM, we'd need you to calculate your GPA for us (as it can be quite different to WAM). For a 99.10 ATAR you'd need a 7.00 GPA (which converts to 99.50) and would give you an overall of 99.30, which is above last year's cut off. Anything lower than a 7.00 would see you ineligible on academic rank grounds, I think.

"96.00 to be considered" is a largely useless statement (unless it is also used to define the requirement for rural and EAS/SCATS applicants with bonuses) as UNSW themselves confirmed last year's cut off was 99.25.

A1

Rookie Doc
I read somewhere on this forum that ATAR gradually decreases in weighting the further you progress in your degree,

It's probably better to read that as decrease in relevance (rather than weighting) of ATAR, and only for certain schools e.g. JMP stops using ATAR after you've completed 1FTE, WSU after you've completed a degree. But it doesn't change for UNSW, it's 50:50 for the rest of your life according to LMG! ;)

We can't directly convert a WAM to GPA but WAM 87 generally should be 6.5+ which gives 99.50 equivalent. If you post up your individual subject marks we can help calculate for you.