Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: Accommodation and Colleges

ZJQ

UNSW Accomodation

Can you tell me which accommodation would be safer, more secure and better in general?
Creston College or Mulwaree Apartment?

ohexploitable

unsw village is the ultimate party haven

barker st apartments is full of weird asians who don't speak english

warrane college is the closest you'll get to the american college archetype e.g. initiations, traditions etc. can't take girls into your room though

ZJQ

If I live in the colleges, I don't have to pay for electricity/utilities right? Only internet and printing?

szemin

Lurker
Hey guys, was wondering what the main difference between Baxter, Basser and Goldstein is? And is new college too far from the med faculty?

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Hey guys, was wondering what the main difference between Baxter, Basser and Goldstein is? And is new college too far from the med faculty?
Traditionally the difference between the 3 kenso colleges was the amount of beer consumed. It decreased, I think, in the order that you have listed them.

From New (or Warrane or Shalom) to the med buildings is indeed from one end of campus to the other.... max 15 minutes walk. Students living in Sydney might have a 1-2 hour commute each way!!

A1

Rookie Doc
From New (or Warrane or Shalom) to the med buildings is indeed from one end of campus to the other....

Not only that but opposite corners and opposite altitudes too.

max 15 minutes walk.

More like 10 mins downhill 20 mins uphill :)

biom

Not only that but opposite corners and opposite altitudes too.

More like 10 mins downhill 20 mins uphill :)
indeed. there is "top campus" where the beautiful people study (only Med these days since Law moved down the hill) and bottom campus where the riff-raff study (eg engineering).

Note that there is also the UNSW village which provide self-catered accommodation near the pool.

szemin

Lurker
indeed. there is "top campus" where the beautiful people study (only Med these days since Law moved down the hill) and bottom campus where the riff-raff study (eg engineering).

Note that there is also the UNSW village which provide self-catered accommodation near the pool.
What do you mean top campus where the beautiful people study?:O

Do you have any suggestions on accommodation if I want to be involved in social events like sports, but at the same time not sacrifice my studies as a Med student? (Eg the accommodation is not too noisy such that I cannot focus at when studying in my room)

biom

What do you mean top campus where the beautiful people study?:eek:

Do you have any suggestions on accommodation if I want to be involved in social events like sports, but at the same time not sacrifice my studies as a Med student? (Eg the accommodation is not too noisy such that I cannot focus at when studying in my room)
My experience is very dated so can't make any suggestions.

As a general observation colleges tend to be more party-focused (sport, social...) or more work-focused. You might like to ask current med students how much time they have for social events. Might be a lot... or not.

mediii

ydau
I'd probably try and immerse yourself with people outside medicine in college. all your friends in classes will obviously be med students and its a good idea to meet people from other degrees!! I'm at village with friends I met at Fig tree in first year and none of them do med and they're all great people! but of course there will be a few med students in all colleges!

I’m hoping if anyone can offer insights into UNSW operated and affiliated colleges. I understand that there are the Kensos, Creston & Warrane, Shalom & New College among others. My interest is primarily on the Kensos. Is there a difference between Basser, Goldstein & Baxter?

apk22

Does anyone know the latest we can make our application to the UNSW colleges? As I am not certain I will get an offer at UNSW I don't really want to be wasting $100 on an application fee...

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does anyone know the latest we can make our application to the UNSW colleges? As I am not certain I will get an offer at UNSW I don't really want to be wasting $100 on an application fee...
It may be different at UNSW but usually you need to get in very early to land an accommodation spot in colleges. Those that leave it till late tend to miss out. Just a heads up.

Can anyone recommend any good colleges without insane 'party hard' attitudes more well suited towards quieter folks? Also, I haven't seen much about the quality of self-catered apartments - is sacrificing the social atmosphere and the cooked food worth? I'm in particular wondering about Goldstein College, Mulwaree apartments and maybe also the University Terrace apartments.