Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: General Entry Questions and Discussion

licher

I've seen the table posted for UNSW med criteria and say the atar:umat ratios
But i've never heard of anybody who gets below 90 umat actually make it into med at unsw-
Having gotten 81 for umat which is not quite up to standard, if i were to get an atar of 99.8 - what would my chances be (realistically) of getting an interview offer and actually making it into the course?

Thanks

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
You'll find approximate cutoffs from a few years back in the link in my signature - [Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

UNSW hasn't published any cutoffs for a few years though.

If you just make the interview cutoff scores then you'll be requiring very good interviews to get into the course considering that there are loads of applicants who significantly exceed the cutoffs for interview who are then better placed than you to get a final position.

A1

Rookie Doc
I've seen the table posted for UNSW med criteria and say the atar:umat ratios
But i've never heard of anybody who gets below 90 umat actually make it into med at unsw-

Sub-90 UMATs can get UNSW interviews if they have ATAR better than ~99.2 and they do have some chance for a place. UNSW would not waste their time & an intv slot interviewing someone with zero chance. For example a 99.95 with 86 UMAT has about 50% chance (quoted from UNSW's advice to MD) which roughly equates to a better than median interview score. Not impossible for an 86 UMAT.

Having gotten 81 for umat which is not quite up to standard, if i were to get an atar of 99.8 - what would my chances be (realistically) of getting an interview offer and actually making it into the course?

I'd say 90% chance for an interview but only 10-20% chance for a place, aka you need to be in the top 10-20% of the interview scores.

Treesap

With UNSW changing it's selection method for 2019 entry, the lowest UMAT to receive a place offer was 90th percentile.

The above statistic is for local applicants only. Rural applicants can get offered with lower percentiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
As I mentioned in another thread UNSW holds three rounds of interviews, none is "second" to another. First round for rurals, 2nd for NSW/ACT applicants, 3rd for interstate.

For offers UNSW don't hold their own rounds but participate in UAC offer rounds. Early January they will send their list of rural/local applicants who qualify for a place to UAC. Same for WSU & JMP. UAC then checks, if anyone is on multiple lists they only get notified (around 10-15th Jan) of the one with highest pref. That applicant's other offers are diverted to other applicants.

UNSW does not offer out all the places in this January round, they set aside say 50 places for the interstates in UAC February offer round. After their interviews if more than 50 interstate applicants (very unlikely though) reach the January cutoff they will take all the set aside places and that's it. However on average only 35-40 do then UNSW offers the remaining 10-15 places to both local & interstate next-in-line applicants (in effect lowering the offer cutoff for both).
Does this mean that there virtually is no second round offers for people, both interstate and local? Does this apply to most of the other unis as well?

A1

Rookie Doc
Does this mean that there virtually is no second round offers for people, both interstate and local? Does this apply to most of the other unis as well?

WSU/Adelaide/JCU for example don't hold an interstate interview round. As such they can offer out all the places in the TAC's January offer round. The declines they receive are given out in the TAC's February offer round, often seen as supplementary second round. Then 3rd round or casual top ups for more declines from the Feb round.

UNSW/JMP/Monash/UWA/Curtin hold interstate interviews separately so set aside an appropriate number of places for the Feb offer round (anticipated Jan declines are probably built into this number). If not enough interstate interviewees qualify for a place the Feb offer round sometimes includes a few "second-round" offers to locals.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
WSU/Adelaide/JCU for example don't hold an interstate interview round. As such they can offer out all the places in the TAC's January offer round. The declines they receive are given out in the TAC's February offer round, often seen as supplementary second round. Then 3rd round or casual top ups for more declines from the Feb round.

UNSW/JMP/Monash/UWA/Curtin hold interstate interviews separately so set aside an appropriate number of places for the Feb offer round (anticipated Jan declines are probably built into this number). If not enough interstate interviewees qualify for a place the Feb offer round sometimes includes a few "second-round" offers to locals.
So it would be reasonable to think that WSU/Adelaide/JCU offer up more second round offers than UNSW/JMP/UWA/Curtin? I'd imagine for those that hold a separate interview round for interstates, the chance for second round offers for locals would be significantly smaller than those that have a combined interview round.

A1

Rookie Doc
So it would be reasonable to think that WSU/Adelaide/JCU offer up more second round offers than UNSW/JMP/UWA/Curtin?

Yes that should be the case, unless the school over-offers in the January round in anticipation of declines. I know Adelaide does not do this since they have made numerous 2nd/3rd round offers. Otoh JCU doesn't seem to make many. WSU only changed to single interview round last year, too early to tell.

EtA: An example of over-offers is Flinders. I remember their provisionals quota is around 25, this publication shows 27 domestics in the 2019 intake, SATAC data says they made 62 offers
> https://www.flinders.edu.au/content...medicine-course-admission-information-set.pdf

Last edited:

JLook1

Hello everyone.

I completed my HSC in 2011, and achieved an ATAR of 99.10.

I had not sat the UMAT as I did not have an interest in medicine at the time.

I will have completed my combined commerce/law degree at the end of this year, with an expected GPA of 6.1/7.

I have formed an interest in medicine over the last year, and would like to know whether I will have a reasonable chance for entry into UNSW.

As I do not intend to sit the GAMSAT, I would like to sit the UCAT in July 2020 for undergraduate entry into UNSW in 2021.

What UCAT score/percentile will I need for an interview, as well as a subsequent offer, assuming a decent interview.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

lottodo

Quick question: I am doing UAC application and selected UNSW medicine course; UAC code 428000. The course name is
B Medical Studies/Doctor of Medicine or
B Arts / M Medical Studies / Doctor of Medicine

Not sure about B Arts portion. Is this means we can study B Arts as our first degree? or
Am I selecting the wrong code?
Thanks

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hello everyone.

I completed my HSC in 2011, and achieved an ATAR of 99.10.

I had not sat the UMAT as I did not have an interest in medicine at the time.

I will have completed my combined commerce/law degree at the end of this year, with an expected GPA of 6.1/7.

I have formed an interest in medicine over the last year, and would like to know whether I will have a reasonable chance for entry into UNSW.

As I do not intend to sit the GAMSAT, I would like to sit the UCAT in July 2020 for undergraduate entry into UNSW in 2021.

What UCAT score/percentile will I need for an interview, as well as a subsequent offer, assuming a decent interview.

Thanks
1567329783696.png
As per the above table, a GPA of 6.1 is equivalent to a 99 ATAR if you have a completed degree - combined with your high school ATAR, you get 99.05.

The score combinations that gained users interviews last year at UNSW can be viewed here: 2019 Entry Interview Invites - Collated

The score combinations that gained users place offers last year at UNSW can be viewed here:

I'd say you'd be wanting a minimum of 93rd %ile in UCAT to be confident in receiving an interview, and you'd need a very strong interview to gain a place offer in that case.

A1

Rookie Doc
Quick question: I am doing UAC application and selected UNSW medicine course; UAC code 428000. The course name is
B Medical Studies/Doctor of Medicine or
B Arts / M Medical Studies / Doctor of Medicine

Not sure about B Arts portion. Is this means we can study B Arts as our first degree? or
Am I selecting the wrong code?
Thanks

Choose the B Arts combo if you love UNSW so much you like to spend two extra years there and donate them $16K more HECS fees ;)
> medicine arts | UNSW Degree Finder

Btw the two have the same UAC course code, after getting an offer you then enroll in either one. USyd's MD is grad entry so you can do B Arts/MD. UNSW's MD is articulated with BMedSt, the B Arts has to go in addition.

JLook1

View attachment 2831
As per the above table, a GPA of 6.1 is equivalent to a 99 ATAR if you have a completed degree - combined with your high school ATAR, you get 99.05.

The score combinations that gained users interviews last year at UNSW can be viewed here: 2019 Entry Interview Invites - Collated

The score combinations that gained users place offers last year at UNSW can be viewed here:

I'd say you'd be wanting a minimum of 93rd %ile in UCAT to be confident in receiving an interview, and you'd need a very strong interview to gain a place offer in that case.
Hi

Thanks for the response.

Just as a matter of interest, what UMAT score/percentile would I have needed for entry into 2011 into UNSW, assuming the same conditions of a decent interview.

Don't worry if you don't know, just curious :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Oh I see, I didn't realise they were asking about 9 years ago.

Yeah, it was just an ‘out of interest’ type question. I suspect the OP is wondering if they would have had more chance trying straight from school and is lamenting lost opportunities :D

(I know the feeling)

Reactions: A1

JLook1

Yeah, it was just an ‘out of interest’ type question. I suspect the OP is wondering if they would have had more chance trying straight from school and is lamenting lost opportunities :D

(I know the feeling)

Oh, I do intend to apply for UNSW next year.

I just wanted to know what my chances were in 2011. Just seeking closure lol

JLook1

Oh yeah, I realised that, too! But that wasn’t your question.

Sorry, I meant to quote A1 but I could not find his post. My mistake as I am new to forum posting lol :)

So, just to quell my lament, what UMAT score/percentile would I have needed for entry in 2011 to UNSW?

chinaski

If you've enough curiosity to bother trawling through them, there's probably historical threads dating back to that period that include ubiquitous "my ATAR is this, my UMAT is that - do I have a chance?" questions.

A1

Rookie Doc
Sorry, I meant to quote A1 but I could not find his post. My mistake as I am new to forum posting lol :)
So, just to quell my lament, what UMAT score/percentile would I have needed for entry in 2011 to UNSW?

Sorry you couldn't find, I deleted it because I wasn't answering your 9-year-ago question. But I am this time.

From a chart I saw on MSO in 2015 (presumably with data of the few years before) 99.10 then would have required 88-89%ile to just get an interview. Last year it climbed to ~93%ile. Note that this is borderline, meaning you'd need a near top interview to balance up into the top third for a place offer. To succeed with a decent interview you will need anywhere between 96 & 99%ile depending on the relativity of your decent interview against the interview cohort (I mean if they in general do decent as well then your decent is just par).

In comparison with 2011 it appears you are now about 4%iles worse off.