Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: General Entry Questions and Discussion

Tvy

Lurker
Hello everyone! I received a last minute offer for UNSW Kensington yesterday and I was just wondering if anyone can help me get sorted! I don't have a UNSW account yet (I have to wait for UAC offers on Thursday) so I am very lost in regards to everything that is happening. I know O Week starts tomorrow, is there anything that we need to attend? Also, I would be very thankful if I could be added to a group chat. Thanks guys :)
Hi, congrats ! Only the Admin can add you in the group chat, please request UNSW Medicine Class of 2026 facebook page. It is best to attend the O-Week Wed 10/02 UNSW School of Medicine Welcome session from 9:30 AM to 1 PM, it is now moved on line so please ask the med student office to send you a link via email. Medsoc will have a follow on campus meet and greet from 2 PM. You can attend all other O-Week activities (just turn up :)

Hi, congrats ! Only the Admin can add you in the group chat, please request UNSW Medicine Class of 2026 facebook page. It is best to attend the O-Week Wed 10/02 UNSW School of Medicine Welcome session from 9:30 AM to 1 PM, it is now moved on line so please ask the med student office to send you a link via email. Medsoc will have a follow on campus meet and greet from 2 PM. You can attend all other O-Week activities (just turn up :)
Thank you! Is there somewhere where I can find info for the meet and greet?

Tvy

Lurker
Thank you! Is there somewhere where I can find info for the meet and greet?
Hi, details as follow:

"on Wednesday afternoon at 2 PM, UNSW Medical Society will be hosting an on-campus welcome event outside the Wallace Wurth Medicine Building for all First Year Medical students to allow you to start meeting your cohort, sign up to MedSoc and find out more information!"

Also please keep Fri 26/02 to Sun 28/02 for camp !

frays

Nardwuar Digging through past threads with the search term "scientia" reveals that this has been going on for a long time: threads from 2007 and 2009 corroborate the 2-people-per-cohort tradition (100 UAI + 100 UMAT back then): Need some help in choosing Uni and [Undergrad] - USYD Combined Medicine Interviews

Interviews no longer factor into Scientia consideration by the looks of things, as last year scholarships were handed out on the day of IB results release, not sure about this year though.

Last edited:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
It seems that the UCAT score required for Scientia currently stands at ~3400, that's good to know for future admissions cycles.

Last edited:

Hello everyone
So I applied for UNSW last year and I got the interview but didn't get an offer. I'm trying to figure out whether my atar+ scats was higher than my converted GPA. So I got an atar of 97.15+scats and have a GPA of 6.7. In my UAC application email, it said that I did not meet the additional selection criteria. However when I emailed them to ask about my performance, they said my UCAT and selection rank was average while my interview score was slightly below the average of the group of students that were interviewed. I remember in this thread, someone said the minimum selection rank was 99.6 which my converted GPA is not high enough so I was wondering if anyone who inquired about how they perfomed who had a GPA of 6.5+ or 99.5 also got told that their atar selection rank was average even though it didn't meet the minimum selection rank or rather they got told that their atar selection rank(atar-wise) was below average.
This might be quite a stupid question soooooo apologies if it is but I'm just very curious.

Thanks all

A1

Rookie Doc
I remember in this thread, someone said the minimum selection rank was 99.6 which my converted GPA is not high enough
I hope to give you peace of mind to know that your selection rank wasn't the only or main factor in not getting an offer. For UNSW the final ranking for place offers is based on the combination of Selection rank + UCAT + Interview. It happened that the lowest selection rank to receive an offer was 99.6, but that did not mean all sub-99.6 "failed" because of it. If a 99.5 had done a better interview than they actually did it was possible to have got an offer.

UNSW's offer ratio is roughly 1 in 3, which means your final combined score needs to be in the top third. With an average selection rank + an average UCAT you would have needed an interview score in the top 20-25% to combine into the top third. Your no offer was due to all three being average not just any one of them. Best of luck for next time if you try again.

I hope to give you peace of mind to know that your selection rank wasn't the only or main factor in not getting an offer. For UNSW the final ranking for place offers is based on the combination of Selection rank + UCAT + Interview. It happened that the lowest selection rank to receive an offer was 99.6, but that did not mean all sub-99.6 "failed" because of it. If a 99.5 had done a better interview than they actually did it was possible to have got an offer.

UNSW's offer ratio is roughly 1 in 3, which means your final combined score needs to be in the top third. With an average selection rank + an average UCAT you would have needed an interview score in the top 20-25% to combine into the top third. Your no offer was due to all three being average not just any one of them. Best of luck for next time if you try again.
Hey, thanks for the reply!
So was there no threshold that must have been met for each score because I assumed that thats what it meant when it said I did not meet the additional selection criteria because in my UAC for UoN, it said offers were made to more competitive applicants rather than I didn't meet the additional selection criteria.
Thanks

A1

Rookie Doc
I assumed that thats what it meant when it said I did not meet the additional selection criteria
As we have said several times don't read too much into those UAC lines because they can be randomly misleading. What that line should say is you did not meet the combined selection criteria, not just the additional.

So was there no threshold that must have been met for each score
There could be a threshold for the interview score. But there should not be for selection rank or UCAT, since they had been "thresholded" at the interview invitation stage.

To illustrate how a SR/UCAT threshold at the offer stage would not make sense, say the lowest rank to have received an invite was 99.3. To then impose a threshold later at 99.6 or whatever, UNSW practically admit they interview all the applicants between 99.3 & this threshold for nothing. Why waste their time!

sevun

Hello everyone
So I applied for UNSW last year and I got the interview but didn't get an offer. I'm trying to figure out whether my atar+ scats was higher than my converted GPA. So I got an atar of 97.15+scats and have a GPA of 6.7. In my UAC application email, it said that I did not meet the additional selection criteria. However when I emailed them to ask about my performance, they said my UCAT and selection rank was average while my interview score was slightly below the average of the group of students that were interviewed. I remember in this thread, someone said the minimum selection rank was 99.6 which my converted GPA is not high enough so I was wondering if anyone who inquired about how they perfomed who had a GPA of 6.5+ or 99.5 also got told that their atar selection rank was average even though it didn't meet the minimum selection rank or rather they got told that their atar selection rank(atar-wise) was below average.
This might be quite a stupid question soooooo apologies if it is but I'm just very curious.

Thanks all
I'm thinking of emailing them to find out how I performed. Do you have any idea on what I should write to them and who I should address the email to?

As we have said several times don't read too much into those UAC lines because they can be randomly misleading. What that line should say is you did not meet the combined selection criteria, not just the additional.

There could be a threshold for the interview score. But there should not be for selection rank or UCAT, since they had been "thresholded" at the interview invitation stage.

To illustrate how a SR/UCAT threshold at the offer stage would not make sense, say the lowest rank to have received an invite was 99.3. To then impose a threshold later at 99.6 or whatever, UNSW practically admit they interview all the applicants between the lowest rank & this threshold for nothing. Why waste their time!
Thanks for the reply :)
Yeh I mainly just wanted to know whether my Atar + scats combo would be used rather than my GPA or vice versa so thats why I was wondering whether or not the people who got 99.50/6.5+ gpa who asked about their selection rank got told it was average or below average because if they got told that that mark was below average, then that means my atar+scats combo was higher than my GPA because I got told it was average so instead of my GPA, they used my atar+scats combo. Just trying to guestimate how many scats points I got lol. Thanks a lot anyways! Its a pretty weird thing but I am quite a curious person.
I'm thinking of emailing them to find out how I performed. Do you have any idea on what I should write to them and who I should address the email to?
For me, I just wrote it to the email that was at the bottom of the interview invite email. I just asked how my atar/ucat/interview was ranked in comparison to the rest of the candidate and I also asked for how I ranked below the last person who got the offer but they wouldn't tell me this info, only the first bit that I asked. Maybe they will tell you though because I heard some people got told this.

ghtoghto

Lurker
Hi,

I want to go into med next year for UNSW but I am a bit confused on the selection criteria for ATAR. I am currently in my first year of uni (somewhere else) as my UCAT and ATAR wasnt high enough. I got an atar of 95.85. I was wondering whether as my ATAR is below the 96 I am ineligible to apply to UNSW at all no matter my UCAT this year or GPA?

Caffeine

Hi,

I want to go into med next year for UNSW but I am a bit confused on the selection criteria for ATAR. I am currently in my first year of uni (somewhere else) as my UCAT and ATAR wasnt high enough. I got an atar of 95.85. I was wondering whether as my ATAR is below the 96 I am ineligible to apply to UNSW at all no matter my UCAT this year or GPA?
Yes this is correct unless UNSW announces any changes you have to have a 96 or above to have your GPA counted. You can technically still apply but will not be competitive