UNSW UNSW Medicine: Incoming Students

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II
The best way to find accommodation after the 25th Jan offer date?
I was having trouble finding accommodation after this round (11 Jan) but I was able to find shared private rental accommodation on flatmates.com.au
Not sure if that's your thing but I'm just glad I have somewhere to stay :)

L

Logic

Hey Logic, does UNSW supply online copies of textbooks?
Hi Bigaboy :)

UNSW does have access to a number of medical textbooks online through the library website (although of course not all). This will be useful for seeing if you like using a certain text before buying :) (As mentioned before, I think it's important to test out textbooks before buying them). If there isn't an online copy, there can often be a hardcopy at the library itself so that's another option. Hope that helped :)

- Logic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey by any chance does anyone know what the UNSW on campus apartments are like and how long the accomodation office takes to get back to you? I applied but I'm worried they are all full and also worried they will take forever to get back to me leaving it too late to find other places to stay around Kensington.

mentos_01

Hey! I'm having some troubles enrolling and I'm scared my offer will be withdrawn because apparently enrolling is part of the acceptance process? I got accepted into Port Macquarie but all the classes I have tried to enrol in say they're at the Kensington Campus. Also, do you have to enrol in classes for all 3 terms or just term 1 for now? Sorry for all the questions...I'm finding it confusing and I don't want to do something wrong because I was very excited to get the offer :)

manyfrogs

UNSW MBBS
Hey! I'm having some troubles enrolling and I'm scared my offer will be withdrawn because apparently enrolling is part of the acceptance process? I got accepted into Port Macquarie but all the classes I have tried to enrol in say they're at the Kensington Campus. Also, do you have to enrol in classes for all 3 terms or just term 1 for now? Sorry for all the questions...I'm finding it confusing and I don't want to do something wrong because I was very excited to get the offer :)
I'm at Port too! For term 1, you enrol for the first two courses and both will show Kensington as the campus. You should then be able to register for classes for those two, where you'll have two options for each. The little (i) icon will tell you which is the Port one and which is Sydney. You can enrol for the other terms' courses but won't be able to register for classes yet.

mentos_01

I'm at Port too! For term 1, you enrol for the first two courses and both will show Kensington as the campus. You should then be able to register for classes for those two, where you'll have two options for each. The little (i) icon will tell you which is the Port one and which is Sydney. You can enrol for the other terms' courses but won't be able to register for classes yet.

Thanks so much for your help. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi, I am applying for a scholarship and I have an interview this Tuesday but I need to better understand how I will be using the scholarship money. Just for some background info I am a rural student and will be relocating into sydney from Victoria and both my parents are on centrelink.
I would really appreciate any help and also just clarification on costs of things like medicine textbooks , lab coats, stethoscopes etc.

L

Logic

Hi, I am applying for a scholarship and I have an interview this Tuesday but I need to better understand how I will be using the scholarship money. Just for some background info I am a rural student and will be relocating into sydney from Victoria and both my parents are on centrelink.
I would really appreciate any help and also just clarification on costs of things like medicine textbooks , lab coats, stethoscopes etc.
Hi tree32water!! (Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy)

I'm not sure about the scholarship, but I'm happy to walk you through my expenses for the year.

You will need a lab coat for your practicals which is about 30$ (or 25 if you get the non-crested one): [email protected] The Grad Shop Online. UNSW Crested Lab Coat

You won't need the safety glasses at all so don't buy those.

Textbooks as I have mentioned previously you can buy later once you find what you enjoy and also you can access a lot of textbooks through the library and that's what I'd recommend. There are however two phase one packs that are sold by the UNSW bookshop that include the standards that would be useful for the first two years and beyond. Price varies depending on if you buy later on or early in the year but heres a link: Book Packages

A stethoscope costs around 120-130 if you get the littman classic III (most choose this) : https://www.medshop.com.au/diagnost...tethoscopes/littmann-classic-iii-stethoscope/ --> you won't need this for first year but you need it for second year.

Besides those there is stationary (books, pens, a calculator etc. ), accommodation, living and travel costs (if you're planning to use public transport or drive).

Please do let me know if I've missed anything!

ETA: Often there are events held throughout the year by the SIGs such as the surgical society to pursue specialty interests and sometimes they need 15$ or something for the event so perhaps that could be another cost if you're interested in those events. (Not sure if relevant to your scholarship and I think there are events without paying too)

- Logic

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Logic

I read that we need a Babinski hammer and a pen torch (source)
Do we actually?
Hi!!

Umm well you can buy one if you'd really like to, however I got through the neurology unit without buying either as did a lot of people. They're usually easily available for the on-campus classes but they might be a bit more difficult to find for the hospital sessions so it's really up to you if you want one. I'd wait till you actually start using the reflex hammer and torch before considering buying one.

Hope that helps :)

- Logic

Hi tree32water!! (Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy)

I'm not sure about the scholarship, but I'm happy to walk you through my expenses for the year.

You will need a lab coat for your practicals which is about 30$ (or 25 if you get the non-crested one): [email protected] The Grad Shop Online. UNSW Crested Lab Coat

You won't need the safety glasses at all so don't buy those.

Textbooks as I have mentioned previously you can buy later once you find what you enjoy and also you can access a lot of textbooks through the library and that's what I'd recommend. There are however two phase one packs that are sold by the UNSW bookshop that include the standards that would be useful for the first two years and beyond. Price varies depending on if you buy later on or early in the year but heres a link: Book Packages

A stethoscope costs around 120-130 if you get the littman classic III (most choose this) : https://www.medshop.com.au/diagnost...tethoscopes/littmann-classic-iii-stethoscope/ --> you won't need this for first year but you need it for second year.

Besides those there is stationary (books, pens, a calculator etc. ), accommodation, living and travel costs (if you're planning to use public transport or drive).

Please do let me know if I've missed anything!

ETA: Often there are events held throughout the year by the SIGs such as the surgical society to pursue specialty interests and sometimes they need 15$ or something for the event so perhaps that could be another cost if you're interested in those events. (Not sure if relevant to your scholarship and I think there are events without paying too)

- Logic
Okay, thanks!!

Jasonovic

Hi all, I just got my offer from UNSW and will have to move from Adelaide to Sydney, but I am worried about the general living expenses since my parents are going to provide minimal financial support. How much should I be expecting per week, and will I get enough time to do part time jobs?? Thanks in advance for any reply :)