Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: Incoming Students

Skrap

Haha damn, maybe we should tell UNSW we're happy to swap spots :p (assuming you do have kensington)
If this does happen to be the case that i'm at Kensington, i'll make sure to mention a quick swap during my phonecall to them on Monday ;)

Unlucky

UNSW BMed/MD I
Looking forward to meeting everyone in February :). I have a couple of questions about the course Logic. What are the contact hours/timetable like in first year and what are the exams like (structure and weighting)?

L

Logic

Looking forward to meeting everyone in February :). I have a couple of questions about the course Logic. What are the contact hours/timetable like in first year and what are the exams like (structure and weighting)?
Hi Unlucky! Congrats on your offer :)

The timetable for medicine is a little variable from week to week because the faculty makes it for you and you get access to the timetable for the entire 8 weeks (1 teaching period worth, as mentioned above there are 4 teaching periods a year). So that is reasonably good for allowing you to plan out things across the 8 weeks.

Since you'll be starting with the course Foundations (basically an introduction to learning in UNSW medicine), the timetable will be a bit lighter than later in the year and more variable. However, if you go to everything, I'd say in Foundations it would be around 18 hours per week. Some people prefer to watch lectures at home as they can rewind etc etc. and if you decide to go to the compulsory classes only (practicals, scenario groups, clinical skills sessions) I'd say in Foundations it'd be about 9-10 hours per week (keep in mind you'll still need to set aside time to watch the lectures at home.) After Foundations I'd say anywhere from 18-21 hours a week if you go to everything (again it changes across the week so theres no consistent answer) and 10-11 hours a week if you watch lectures at home. These are rough estimations from my year but you'll get a better idea once you get your timetable soon. :)

End of Course exams are usually 100% of the mark for the course (there are other assessments you have to do, 1 group project and 1 individual assignment a course but these contribute to the portfolio and aren't given as your mark for the course). There are 4 courses each year and 1 EOC exam per course, that's 4 in a year. In terms of structure, I believe they're around 40 MCQs and 60 marks of SAQs across 4 large questions but the exam is a bit smaller in Foundations since it's just an intro.

There are also 3 practical exams (covering content you learned in your practicals) with 1 at the end of first year, 1 halfway through second year and 1 at the end of second year. There are the same 4 disciplines (e.g. one of them is anatomy), and these exams are cumulative. So by the end of the third exam, you should have at least 50% in each of the disciplines to pass at the end of second year.

There is also an OSCE and End of Phase exam (but those are at the end of second year so I wouldn't worry about those too much yet).

Hope that clarified some things for you and didn't confuse you. Let me know if you require anymore information :)

- Logic

Last edited by a moderator:

Nkap

Since I have a bonded place, I was just wondering if there are any forms/documents I need to complete or know of prior to starting. Also, cannot wait to meet all of you guys next month! :)

L

Logic

Since I have a bonded place, I was just wondering if there are any forms/documents I need to complete or know of prior to starting. Also, cannot wait to meet all of you guys next month! :)
I believe you should be getting an email from the university with the relevant bonded deed of agreement as well as information once you commence university. I don't think there's anything you have to fill out before then but doesn't hurt to confirm by calling up the uni. If anyone who's commencing this year knows any different feel free to correct me :)

ETA: Other than your compliance documents which everyone should be doing by now (though thats not specific to bonded I thought it would be good to remind you :p ) Don't leave it to the end!

- Logic

manyfrogs

UNSW MBBS
Hi all, with a special hello to my fellow Port Macquarians :D Can't wait to meet you all in February! Out of curiosity, does medcamp include people studying at Port?

L

Logic

Hi all, with a special hello to my fellow Port Macquarians :D Can't wait to meet you all in February! Out of curiosity, does medcamp include people studying at Port?
Yep! I’m pretty sure that MedCamp includes Port Mac students. I think you guys travel down to Sydney and then head to camp with the Kensington folks and then go home to Port Macquarie at the end. :D Be sure to go for an awesome time!!

- Logic

Hey there!
Just wondering if anyone has been able to register in classes for Foundations? My timetable tool doesn't show any classes to register in! I assume class registration just hasn't been opened yet, but thought I'd double check.
Thanks!

Unlucky

UNSW BMed/MD I
Hey sciencenerd1111

I was able to register for both foundations and Beginnings, Growth and Development A classes this morning. However, they didn't appear on the calendar thing with times (I think because timetables are released separately for med). For me when I went to enrol in courses and got to class registration there was 2 classes for both foundations and Beginnings, Growth and Development A on the left section of the webpage. If you click on the information icon it will say what campus each is for, and you select the class with the appropriate campus, and then click register. Hope that works!

Hey sciencenerd1111

I was able to register for both foundations and Beginnings, Growth and Development A classes this morning. However, they didn't appear on the calendar thing with times (I think because timetables are released separately for med). For me when I went to enrol in courses and got to class registration there was 2 classes for both foundations and Beginnings, Growth and Development A on the left section of the webpage. If you click on the information icon it will say what campus each is for, and you select the class with the appropriate campus, and then click register. Hope that works!

Thanks Unlucky - I think I have done the same - but just wanted to check I didn't have to enrol into specific classes on the timetable! Does yours just say TBA in the date/time?

L

Logic

Thanks Unlucky - I think I have done the same - but just wanted to check I didn't have to enrol into specific classes on the timetable! Does yours just say TBA in the date/time?
I'll let Unlucky answer the second question since I'm not enrolling for first year but in regards to enrolling in to specific classes, you just register for the class that corresponds to your campus, there won't be anything on the timetable as this is made by the faculty for you (as opposed to in other degrees where you choose the times you want etc.) and released on to eMed. Hopefully that answers that part of the question :)

ETA: Also if you're not sure of whether or not you've been registered, it doesn't hurt to call up to confirm. Best not to leave this to chance!

- Logic

I'll let Unlucky answer the second question since I'm not enrolling for first year but in regards to enrolling in to specific classes, you just enrol in to the class that corresponds to your campus, there won't be anything on the timetable as this is made by the faculty for you and released on to eMed. Hopefully that answers that part of the question :)

-Logic
Thanks so much Logic - that is exactly what I wanted to know!

Unlucky

UNSW BMed/MD I
Does yours just say TBA in the date/time?

I'm not sure exactly where you are looking but when I click update enrollment and then show registered classes it shows me my classes and the day and time sections are blank if that's what you mean.

Edit - included a screenshot
Capture-UNSW-enrollents.png

Z87WSgh

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'm not sure exactly where you are looking but when I click update enrollment and then show registered classes it shows me my classes and the day and time sections are blank if that's what you mean.

Edit - included a screenshot
Capture-UNSW-enrollents.png

Z87WSgh

Interesting to see 127/330 people currently enrolled.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Anyone know if it's possible to do the Arts/Med dual degree if you're at the PM campus?

The website states you just need to have been admitted into the Med degree to be eligible, so presumably yes. You don't apply for Arts/MD until part way through first year, so I assume you'd do your first year at Port Mac, and then possibly have to transfer to Kensington if your application was successful (as it says the dual degree is only offered in Kensington). You could probably check with the office quoted here, UNSW Handbook Program - Medicine / Arts - 3856 as they're also the office you apply to for the transfer so they'd know for sure.

Ok so if we’re successful in the interview on the 21st Jan, when will they tell us and what’s the best way to find Kensington accommodation, particularly with other med students??