UNSW Rollcall 2013

Discussion in 'New South Wales' started by cheerishgirl96, Dec 23, 2012.

1. cheerishgirl96

cheerishgirl96 New Member

Hey! Just wondering whether anyone in this forum re going to UNSW Medicine in 2013?
    It's sure a nice thing to get to know ppl right before ure heading for uni :)

cheerishgirl96

2. Havox

Havox Sword and Martini Guy! Emeritus

Moved to UNSW forum and renamed :)

Modedit: Please don't txttype on this forum thanks, full sentences and grammar are what we expect from our members!

3. longbow

longbow Regular Member

I might go to utas instead of unsw, still cannot make up my mind...

4. cheerishgirl96

is it due to the cost? or do u have any other reasons?

cheerishgirl96

5. longbow

longbow Regular Member

It is a combo of all the factors. Firstly and most importantly, it is a six-yr program, I prefer a shorter course. I might go to Monash if I get accepted. UNSW is just slightly more expensive than UTAS, but there are fewer international students in UTAS, which means there might be a greater chance to get an internship. The cost of living is quite low as well. Anyway, for me, the duration of the course is the greatest problem.

6. beeish

beeish New Member

There might be fewer international students at UTAS but Tasmania also has a LOT less internships then other states, which if thats one of the main things you are considering then you need to take that into consideration. Tassie already has less internship spots than graduates. which is why there is overflow into other states. Internships should not be a major factor in deciding where you want to go at the moment. Firstly ALOT can change in 5-6 years - consider where we were just 5 years ago.... secondly say you do want to go back to another state for example Victoria is like this currently but graduates from other states are ranked below international graduates from that state.

Choose where you want to go based on where you feel the most comfortable - it wasn't something I seriously considered when I was choosing where I wanted to go and luckily UNSW was a good fit for me - but thats what you should be basing your decision on - each uni has its own merits and pit falls like I personally like that UNSW has a research year because its a good introduction into that side of medicine, plus we're the only undergraduate who are getting the B.Med/MD program, but some people might like the emphasis JMP has on rural medicine or Adelaide's culture... and med is special - you will be spending the next 5/6 years with your cohort - and med is hard and stressful (rewarding yes but hard and stressful adn sometimes you want to pull your hair out) so make your decision based on where you feel the happiest.

7. LottoX

LottoX 1a2a3a

cheerishgirl96: If you username means you were born in 1996, that makes me feel very, very old. Haha

I'd concur with beeish, however keep in mind that in 5-6 years it's impossible to tell what the landscape (re: international students) will be.

8. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

I think it's reasonable to take a very, very safe guess, however.

9. beeish

beeish New Member

If I remember correctly there is a current hold on increasing international student numbers, at least at some NSW universities - they'll still take the international students but the numbers have been consistently rising and they have recognized there is a problem with internships and they are trying to do what they can to help because no international students means no monies, although realistically, I dont think they are getting that much profit from the international students given how much it costs to train a medical student per year...

and LottoX that is exactly what I was trying to get across :)

10. cheerishgirl96

Hi Lottox, yes i was born in 96 lol.

11. Jackie

Jackie =D Emeritus

[offtopic]
    Rather than profit, I THINK that money from international students also offsets the costs of training local students and therein lies the problem of funding of medical places (amount of money spent by the government per student) and the healthcare system in general.[/offtopic]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  12. beeish

beeish New Member

I dont remember where I heard it, but training a medical student costs about $54,000 a year... International students pay around $56,000 therefore they wouldn't be offsetting the costs much... unless its coming from international students in other degrees.

13. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

Uh, the issue was more about securing employment after graduation, rather than funding of medical places. As such, it's a fairly safe bet what's going to happen in the future WRT internationals getting jobs (and the consequent influence - or lack thereof - this has on locals gaining employment on graduation).

14. vivianshang

vivianshang New Member

To those posting, you might want to include for future reference:

• Unbonded/Bonded/MRBS
    • ATAR/GPA
    • UMAT
    • Interstate/Rural/EAS

15. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Wazzzup.

Unbonded
    ATAR: 99.35
    UMAT: 94th percentile
    Local

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  16. r949494

r949494 New Member

i got an unbonded offer~!!! so excited~!!
    ATAR: 99.65
    Umat: 89%ile
    Interstate standard applicant from NZ~

17. rellikami

rellikami New Member

bonded
    99th percentile
    nsw native ;)

18. ashy

ashy Boo. Emeritus

Paeds Reg
    Congrats and welcome guys :)