Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2021 Chat/Enquiry

I'm excited to see what they decide for the exam. Not sure how they're going to go about using online exams for clinical entry when it is so easy for people to cheat. For that reason, I sorta hope we have an in-person test but if I had left Auckland I'd definitely hate having to travel all the way back for one exam haha
I was so surprised yesterday when they announced they'll be open book! I thought they'd at least do online invigilation. Still, I suppose the percentage of people getting A+ for Test 1 was pretty similar to the 2015-20 average.

Will be interesting to see if they maybe adjust the weighting of medsci relative to the other 3 cores. I reckon it could be a pretty high GPA for entry this year, but that's just me speculating/worrying, haha!

Kawi

I was so surprised yesterday when they announced they'll be open book! I thought they'd at least do online invigilation. Still, I suppose the percentage of people getting A+ for Test 1 was pretty similar to the 2015-20 average.

Will be interesting to see if they maybe adjust the weighting of medsci relative to the other 3 cores. I reckon it could be a pretty high GPA for entry this year, but that's just me speculating/worrying, haha!
Wow yeah hats off to MEDSCI142 on how they've been able to run their course open book while keeping grade distributions around the same at least for the theory tests.

And the exam holy, I had to rush through the exam fairly quickly to be able to finish on time so it's very hard to say how it went.

I feel like GPA will stay relatively the same if not lower but honestly, I have no idea, will just have to wait and see I guess.

Pretty sure the Uni will want to restore its GPA similar to previous years especially with last year being pretty off-trend.

I think 2019 biomed and health science Cohort for first year general entry had a LQ and Median of 8.75. Which means out of the 100 first years seat offers that year for general entry, the top 75 all had a GPA of 8.75 or above. So I doubt that it could be even higher unless the median becomes 9 which is just insane at this point. How was the grade distributions in first sem for the core-papers this year? In 2020, we had something like 600 A+ for Biosci 107 because of the 5% grade bump + online examination. Obviously highlighting the need for a CST last year.

I suspect that the grade distributions were much more normal this year, especially considering mid-sems were in person. Also all the best for those trying for clinical programmes this year. Almost at the end, soon only the interview remains.

Wow yeah hats off to MEDSCI142 on how they've been able to run their course open book while keeping grade distributions around the same at least for the theory tests.

And the exam holy, I had to rush through the exam fairly quickly to be able to finish on time so it's very hard to say how it went.

I feel like GPA will stay relatively the same if not lower but honestly, I have no idea, will just have to wait and see I guess.
Totally agree! That exam was jam-packed. Not feeling confident that I got the score I wanted tbh. I can barely remember what was asked or the answers I put - definitely would've been nice to have some time to reflect at the end but :|

Hope you get the result you want :)

I suspect that the grade distributions were much more normal this year, especially considering mid-sems were in person. Also all the best for those trying for clinical programmes this year. Almost at the end, soon only the interview remains.
I really hope this is true! I'm not a huge fan of GPA being such an important determinant for entry - think it just gets kinda ridiculous after a certain point. Though, looking at some of the info on FYI it does seem like there were significantly more A+ grades given out this year for the 3 semester 1 core papers. We'll see!

al28i

Totally agree! That exam was jam-packed. Not feeling confident that I got the score I wanted tbh. I can barely remember what was asked or the answers I put - definitely would've been nice to have some time to reflect at the end but :|

I really hope this is true! I'm not a huge fan of GPA being such an important determinant for entry - think it just gets kinda ridiculous after a certain point. Though, looking at some of the info on FYI it does seem like there were significantly more A+ grades given out this year for the 3 semester 1 core papers. We'll see!
Hiya, could you link me the FYI page with the sem 1 grades?

Kawi

Pretty sure the Uni will want to restore its GPA similar to previous years especially with last year being pretty off-trend.

I think 2019 biomed and health science Cohort for first year general entry had a LQ and Median of 8.75. Which means out of the 100 first years seat offers that year for general entry, the top 75 all had a GPA of 8.75 or above. So I doubt that it could be even higher unless the median becomes 9 which is just insane at this point. How was the grade distributions in first sem for the core-papers this year? In 2020, we had something like 600 A+ for Biosci 107 because of the 5% grade bump + online examination. Obviously highlighting the need for a CST last year.

Yeah grade distributions for us are definitely not like 2020 haha.

Only POPLHLTH gave grade distributions to my knowledge and I think 12% got A+, other than that we had distributions of our mid-term tests and BIOSCI exam which I think looked normal but I'm not sure since I haven't made a direct comparison to previous years.

I definitely relate to having trouble remembering the questions or my answers, taking the test felt like such a blur.

Wishing you all the best for your results too!

Honestly, we should just be proud of getting past those hectic 3 and a half hours. It was a tough exam and we tried the best we could.

I also agree with GPA getting pretty insane, kinda sad how such a small difference of 85.6% vs. 85.4% can enormously affect the chances of getting into med.

Hiya, could you link me the FYI page with the sem 1 grades?

Pwnter

UoO MBChB II
How do you guys have your grades back already, to at least know provisional results? Haven't you just sat your exams? I'm at Otago, and we won't get our Sem 2 results back until late Nov.

al28i

How do you guys have your grades back already, to at least know provisional results? Haven't you just sat your exams? I'm at Otago, and we won't get our Sem 2 results back until late Nov.
The university sends out interview offers by assuming that our one core paper in semester 2 is an A+. When our real results do come out later, they will then collate our interview scores with GPA and UCAT to send final programme invitations

Pwnter

UoO MBChB II
The university sends out interview offers by assuming that our one core paper in semester 2 is an A+. When our real results do come out later, they will then collate our interview scores with GPA and UCAT to send final programme invitations
Oh, that makes sense. Do you only do 5 papers across the year, or just 5 core and 3 additional?

Last edited:

Bootleg

Oh, that makes sense. Do you only do 5 papers across the year, or 6 just 5 core and 3 additional?
They do the same as Otago 8 papers in a year. But only 4 papers (the cores) count towards their GPA for med entry