• UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA GPA Calculations for Graduate Entry

014phalo

Hi there, is there any chance anyone could tell me exactly how the Auckland graduate GPA is calculated? Is there a sample spreadsheet anywhere on their website? I've done an Honours degree.
I believe it's simply the average of your last 3 years of full time study for interview consideration, and then the average of the last 2 years of full time study for placement consideration following the interviews. This has changed for 2021 intake.

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
Hi there, is there any chance anyone could tell me exactly how the Auckland graduate GPA is calculated? Is there a sample spreadsheet anywhere on their website? I've done an Honours degree.
Are you from Otago or Auckland? It's the average of your best 120 points for each year for the last 2 years of your degree.

For Otago, it'll be the best 126 since they don't split the points since each papers is usually 18 points.

Sebzy

I wonder how much graduate GPA cut offs will drop for the inclusion of an entire degree. Mine has gone from 8.3 to 7.4 with the inclusion of my entire degree. I suppose it wouldn't be wise to compare with previous years as the data isn't comparable?

Does anyone know how the GPA for UoO was calculated prior to the recent change this year out of interest?

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
Do you know what UoO used pre 2020??
Pre-2020, UoO used all 3 years where the first year was weighted 0.5, the second year 1.0 and third year 1.5.
But yeah, there's no point pondering too much about how UoA will actually calculate their cumulative GPA. It's best to not worry about it at all and just try your best.

Asye

Lurker
Hi, just wondering if A is the highest grade you can get in a paper, would the admissions faculty convert that into an A+ when weighing the GPA?

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
Hi, just wondering if A is the highest grade you can get in a paper, would the admissions faculty convert that into an A+ when weighing the GPA?
Doubt it. Imho they must have some way of separating those that get A+ and A without the grades boost so when it comes to admissions. They'll probably just use the grades without the GPA increase since someone who would've gotten A+ without the grades boost shouldn't be the same as someone who only got A+ with the boost.

Sargi

Doubt it. Imho they must have some way of separating those that get A+ and A without the grades boost so when it comes to admissions. They'll probably just use the grades without the GPA increase since someone who would've gotten A+ without the grades boost shouldn't be the same as someone who only got A+ with the boost.
I am pretty sure they are using the boosted version, since that's the grade going on the academic transcript. Only thing they said was that they will "Final course grades will be used for selection purposes and final ranking i.e. if you have opted to have a ‘Pass’ grade recorded on your transcript (for those whose final grades falls between C- and C+), the actual course grade will be used." If it applies to FY, I am pretty sure it applies to grad students

Last edited:

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
I am pretty sure they are using the boosted version, since that's the grade going on the academic transcript. Only thing they said was that they will "Final course grades will be used for selection purposes and final ranking i.e. if you have opted to have a ‘Pass’ grade recorded on your transcript (for those whose final grades falls between C- and C+), the actual course grade will be used." If it applies to FY, I am pretty sure it applies to grad students
Yeah I know. What I'm trying to say though is that they will probably have a system (behind the scenes) to separate those with legitimate A+ from those that got A+ because of the gpa boost since it seems unfair to make someone who would've gotten 85% to be on equal footing as someone who would've gotten 90%.

Sargi

Yeah I know. What I'm trying to say though is that they will probably have a system (behind the scenes) to separate those with legitimate A+ from those that got A+ because of the gpa boost since it seems unfair to make someone who would've gotten 85% to be on equal footing as someone who would've gotten 90%.
I think it would be unfair to have a system especially since COVID did not impact everyone equally and some people students were disproportionately impacted more than the other and this grade boost was specially made to have an equal ground for everyone. But, then again its UoA so who knows haha

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
I think it would be unfair to have a system especially since COVID did not impact everyone equally and some people students were disproportionately impacted more than the other and this grade boost was specially made to have an equal ground for everyone. But, then again its UoA so who knows haha
Yeah y'all will just have to wait and see tbh

babby

What about people at other universities that didn't boost grades? Will we have our 5% added to our grades or will next years class be full of Aucklanders/Otago students

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
What about people at other universities that didn't boost grades? Will we have our 5% added to our grades or will next years class be full of Aucklanders/Otago students
We don't know tbh