UoA Graduate Category Chat/Enquiry

drum99

Hello all - Interview question here.

I'm applying with my 9.0 GPA (pending 2 more assignments, worst drop will be to 8.875), and my combined UCAT of 3328. I'm expecting an interview as my GPA will be 9.0 for the first semester this year.

In an effort to find interview 'resources', I find a lot that are Australia MMI centric. I genuinely do not understand how this all works and am hoping to gain some insight. I've looked at the Sample MMI Questions from the UofA MMI webpage, but am hoping to find more questions that are relevant for us here, and potentially some discussion points / answers to get an idea of how things are answered or what they expect to hear.

(content removed)

The interview discord server and some of the resources from Aus seem very heavy, and don't really look anything like the sample MMI questions from UofA, which is why I'm looking for some assistance, guidance, whatever, from locals here who can point me towards some relevant resources that are applicable.

Thanks all!
Dude I didn't even know you could get a mark that high on the UCAT? Crushed it!!

Mani

Dude I didn't even know you could get a mark that high on the UCAT? Crushed it!!

Haha combined (with SJT)! I only posted the combined score because someone earlier above posted a combined score for last year!
My score without SJT is 2690, not all that great at all.

cmc333

Kia ora team, I'm a UoA graduate applicant for 2022 with a BSc in Health Science from the states (I'm a kiwi but went over on an athletic scholarship). Given I needed a tertiary qualification from NZ to apply as a graduate to the MBChB I decided I'd do a PGDip rather than FY HS/Biomed because it gives me a Plan B (to pursue research) if I don't get into med. I just wrapped up my PGDip in Health Science Bioscience from Massey and am waiting for an interview offer (fingers crossed!).
I remember reading somewhere we needed to submit final transcripts by Nov 30 but now I can't find where I read that! Am I correct? Or do we just upload them once they come in. I finished my assignments & exams on October 22 so am eagerly awaiting my final grades!!
Best of luck to everyone applying,
Courtney

Mani

Kia ora team, I'm a UoA graduate applicant for 2022 with a BSc in Health Science from the states (I'm a kiwi but went over on an athletic scholarship). Given I needed a tertiary qualification from NZ to apply as a graduate to the MBChB I decided I'd do a PGDip rather than FY HS/Biomed because it gives me a Plan B (to pursue research) if I don't get into med. I just wrapped up my PGDip in Health Science Bioscience from Massey and am waiting for an interview offer (fingers crossed!).
I remember reading somewhere we needed to submit final transcripts by Nov 30 but now I can't find where I read that! Am I correct? Or do we just upload them once they come in. I finished my assignments & exams on October 22 so am eagerly awaiting my final grades!!
Best of luck to everyone applying,
Courtney

Hi Courtney, I posted this a couple of pages ago:

For others - I have confirmed from UoA that the latest date for official transcript submission is now 6 December, so an additional week has been granted.

I've also been told by UoA (via email confirmation) that the unadvertised "final date" is actually 31 December, but if you're any later than 6th of December and do qualify for the program, you are put in the waiting list rather than in the first round of offers.

B-Rabbit

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the MMI - it says that two references are required to comment on your suitability to work with children as part of our requirements under the Children’s Act 2014. Does anyone know or have any advice on who would be a suitable reference. Does there ranking/status matter? Do they have to have seen me work with children and comment on that specifically? Also will they be required to just "comment" on our suitability or actually provide a reference on us and be asked other questions?

Thank you :)

drum99

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the MMI - it says that two references are required to comment on your suitability to work with children as part of our requirements under the Children’s Act 2014. Does anyone know or have any advice on who would be a suitable reference. Does there ranking/status matter? Do they have to have seen me work with children and comment on that specifically? Also will they be required to just "comment" on our suitability or actually provide a reference on us and be asked other questions?

Tbh I don't think it matters too much who you put down - I put down my boss at the time who could attest to me working with children. I think they did contact him in the end, but I think it was just something he had to fill out. I don't think it's like an in-depth character reference as such, possibly more of a cover-the-bases type exercise....don't quote me on that though lol

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc
Hi guys,

I've put two managers (a past one and a present one) from my work (in retail). I don't think it's 100% necessary that they need to have seen you work with children specifically, as many people won't have done that before. For example, if you haven't worked with children before, they'll likely be interested in whether or not you are a responsible, trustworthy person etc etc. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

travellingspaceman

Tbh I don't think it matters too much who you put down - I put down my boss at the time who could attest to me working with children. I think they did contact him in the end, but I think it was just something he had to fill out. I don't think it's like an in-depth character reference as such, possibly more of a cover-the-bases type exercise....don't quote me on that though lol
It is usually a very basic form that gets filled out - like yes or no “do you have any concerns regarding this person working with children” if yes, elaborate etc. its more government required paperwork than paperwork for the selection/decision process

Mani

Congrats everyone on your offers interview invites! How exciting :) Just wondering, who have you guys put down as references? I've put down one ex-colleague but struggling to think who else would be suitable to comment on my suitability to work with children who isn't a friend/family member. Thanks in advance!

I've put down an ex-colleague, and an ex-classmate from my Masters degree that I've just finished. She's a 41 year old woman who was in all my classes and group work with me *shrug*