Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA Optometry

loopus

Lurker
Hiya, i'm eyeing up optom (currently in biomed UOA) and i was wondering what is the realistic GPA required (from the 6 core courses)?

any other tips/tricks/help , especially insight from previous years will be greatly appreciated

Jay39

I know it’s a bit late, but I got in with a GPA of 6.8 / 6.9 (which is super low so I was one or th the last to get in ) . This is for all 6 first year papers :)

Jay39

I got in before the interviews were a thing for optometry so I think the GPA was weighed in more heavily

Jay39

And I remember my offer came out in January, so don’t panic if you don’t get an offer straight away, what happens is that med applicants often put down optom as an option as well, and as they declined their optom offers due to getting into med ect, more spaces become available for those on waiting lists :)

Jin887010

And I remember my offer came out in January, so don’t panic if you don’t get an offer straight away, what happens is that med applicants often put down optom as an option as well, and as they declined their optom offers due to getting into med ect, more spaces become available for those on waiting lists :)
Thank you I'm freaking out lol. Hopefully I will get in

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Yeah no worries, it was around January (the year was 2013) :)

Hi Jay39,

Thank you. I thought we might be able to use your numbers, but it's probably very outdated now. I think the competition is a lot higher than it used to be. Pharmacy and Optometry are the go-to options for those who don't get into medicine.

Jay39

Hi Jay39,

Thank you. I thought we might be able to use your numbers, but it's probably very outdated now. I think the competition is a lot higher than it used to be. Pharmacy and Optometry are the go-to options for those who don't get into medicine.

Yeah it was a while back, and yes I agree, optom was also my go to when I didn’t get into medicine. Hopefully better luck with my interview this year :)

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Yeah it was a while back, and yes I agree, optom was also my go to when I didn’t get into medicine. Hopefully better luck with my interview this year :)

I wish you the best of luck, and keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Jay39

Updating I got waitlisted for optom. Fingers crossed Ill get in

Hey so many people get off the waitlist for optometry since they have so many students accepting their med offers ect.. you’ve got a solid chance! Let us know how you get on :)

Jin887010

YEAH but I got off the waitlist on the last day. like 15th of FEB.
Also all other people in optom got around 7-8 gpa for the 6 papers. DONT RISK IT!!!I was very lucky to get in