Siti

YEAH but I got off the waitlist on the last day. like 15th of FEB.
Also all other people in optom got around 7-8 gpa for the 6 papers. DONT RISK IT!!!I was very lucky to get in
Oh nice!! I'm a graduate with a current gpa of 6.625😭 this is for my last 2 years, do you think this is a safe gpa for a graduate?

Jin887010

Oh nice!! I'm a graduate with a current gpa of 6.625😭 this is for my last 2 years, do you think this is a safe gpa for a graduate?
I think it really depends on your interview! someone got in straightway with 6.5 others get declined with 7 gpa!
Try your best at your interview and I think you will be fine
also in the interview they look at how mature you think. this can be an advantage for you as you are a post grad!

Jin887010

hi, do you know how many people approximately get offered an MMI interview?
Sorry not too sure! but I think a lot of people get an interview :) I know for med they interview 2x ? I guess it will be same for optometry? but maybe more I think if you pass 6 you will?? But not too sure sorry

Siti

I think it really depends on your interview! someone got in straightway with 6.5 others get declined with 7 gpa!
Try your best at your interview and I think you will be fine
also in the interview they look at how mature you think. this can be an advantage for you as you are a post grad!

Hey! Sorry for bothering you so much! Just wondering if you felt like you did really well in your interview? And were you under the general category?

Heyyyy !!!
This convo has been dead for a while, but let’s see !
im a FY with a GPA of 6.73 ( super low Ik, CST really ruined me :/)
I haven’t applied to any schemes
I have been waitlisted
What are my chances?!

Fili

Dentistry Student 🦷
Heyyyy !!!
This convo has been dead for a while, but let’s see !
im a FY with a GPA of 6.73 ( super low Ik, CST really ruined me :/)
I haven’t applied to any schemes
I have been waitlisted
What are my chances?!

Chances are highly dependent on how many people decline their offers this year. Similarly, they don't clearly release how one performs on their interview so your chances can't be accurately determined.

If you really want, you can use the link below to look at previous years' stats but imho the best thing to do is just anything other than worrying. Pass the time as best you can - everything right now is out of your control. You don't want to use up your summer break when there's so many things you could do instead to pass the time.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Bootleg was talking about maxcaronmish, see here:

nanamimi

Lurker
Oh wow!! Sorry i thought they were talking about the other person who said they got an offer in the last day! Seems like a lot of people are getting offers last min. This gives me some hope, Thank you:)

Oh wow!! Sorry i thought they were talking about the other person who said they got an offer in the last day! Seems like a lot of people are getting offers last min. This gives me some hope, Thank you:)
Heyy!! Sooo sorry for a very very late reply!
I was waitlisted and then declined (on the deadline which was 15 Feb)
And for some reason someone pulled out of the course just the weekend before uni started and then I was given a place (1 or 2 March, can’t really remember) 😇 very very risky, I wouldn’t have been given the place if the other person didn’t drop out of the course at that time! Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

nanamimi

Lurker
Heyy!! Sooo sorry for a very very late reply!
I was waitlisted and then declined (on the deadline which was 15 Feb)
And for some reason someone pulled out of the course just the weekend before uni started and then I was given a place (1 or 2 March, can’t really remember) 😇 very very risky, I wouldn’t have been given the place if the other person didn’t drop out of the course at that time! Hope this helps!!
Thank you so much 🙏 I'm not sure if you would know but do you remember your GPA for the 3 core papers in first sem? As I heard that's what they look at for determining if you get an interview or not... I looked at FYI and it said the interview cutoff was GPA 7.15 or something like that for 2020 which is worrying me a bit because my grades are certaining not thriving for semester 1 so far 😭😭 Did you get over 7.15?

Bootleg

Thank you so much 🙏 I'm not sure if you would know but do you remember your GPA for the 3 core papers in first sem? As I heard that's what they look at for determining if you get an interview or not... I looked at FYI and it said the interview cutoff was GPA 7.15 or something like that for 2020 which is worrying me a bit because my grades are certaining not thriving for semester 1 so far 😭😭 Did you get over 7.15?
Last year was a special year, the GPA used for determining if you get an interview or not was a combination of CST grades and normal semester grades (which had a 5% grade boost). Therefore, the 7.15GPA you get from FYI reflects this change.

As there is no CST this year, there is no way of knowing whether a 7.15GPA is enough or not.

You would be better looking at the optometry statistics for the 2019 or 2018 year, as this would better reflect the GPAs you need for an interview

Remember that for optometry, all your semester 1 grades are looked at (not just the core papers) in determining interview eligibility. After which, your core papers will determine how far you are ranked down the interview list (i.e. whether you are offered a interview or not). So doing well in your 3 cores and then 'bombing' the fourth paper and getting below that 5.5GPA threshold, will make it difficult.

Hope that helps.

Hanni

I've been thinking of doing optom as a back up incase the med pathway fails. Does anyone know if optom is also heavily science based in terms of course content?