UoA or Otago Pharmacy?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by bambie7, Dec 29, 2018.

1. bambie7

bambie7 New Member

Hi There,

I'm currently deciding between UoA or Otago pharmacy. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of the pharmacy course in both unis. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Filifalcon

Filifalcon New Member

Otago Pharmacy is a lot easier to get into ...

bambie7 likes this.
  3. bambie7

bambie7 New Member

I have offers from both UoA and Otago. Just don't know which one I should go to.

4. pillmonkey

pillmonkey New Member

Both universities are undergoing changes to their curriculum (because the courses were totally archaic)
    Otago changes are starting 2019 whilst UOA started last year. Both graduates are hired and I personally see no difference between pharmacists from Dunedin and Auckland.

Traditionally Otago had a very chemistry focussed curriculum with students having to learn how to draw the structures of drugs. I graduated from Auckland and although I had to do chemistry up to third year, I never once had to learn structures of medications. Auckland did have a more communication skills focussed degree HOWEVER both universities have now changed their degrees completely and to my knowledge chemistry is now gone and filled with pharmacotherapy.

I do believe as a student studying in Auckland, you will have more opportunity for part time work due to the number of pharmacies in the Auckland region meaning the transition from intern to pharmacist may be slightly smoother.

Overall I do not believe one university is superior to the other. I work with pharmacists from both Auckland and Dunedin and we are all the same. Your internship will shape you more then your degree ever will.

PM me if you got more questions.

Good luck with your decision!

bambie7 likes this.
  5. Foreverhopeful

Foreverhopeful New Member

In addition to pillmonkeys comment above I have also worked with intern and current pharmacists from both UoA and Otago and can see no difference between them.

I guess it depends on where you want to work in the future and if you see yourself working in community pharmacy or a more clinical pharmacy setting.

I don’t know what it’s like in other parts of the country but from what I see in a community pharmacy setting in Wellington there seems to be a bias/preference towards hiring graduates from Otago.

All the best in your decision!

bambie7 likes this.
  6. pillmonkey

pillmonkey New Member

Yep no difference in practice from what I see.
    I personally don’t think there’s a hiring bias in Auckland (even though some speak of preference for UOA in Auckland region).
    Eventually I think almost all graduates get an internship regardless.

bambie7 likes this.