Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoM removing prerequisites for Melbourne MD entry

TMG

Hey guys,
I recently found this on one of the MSO forums.
"While about one third of Melbourne Biomedicine graduates are selected into the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Melbourne..."
My question is, are really 1/3 of UoM biomed graduates selected in the MD program? That number seems way too high... Of course these places include full fee places but still.
Can anyone confirm that this is true?? If so, wouldn't going to melb uni increase your chances of postgrad med?

dotwingz

Irregular Member
Valued Member
Hey guys,
I recently found this on one of the MSO forums.
"While about one third of Melbourne Biomedicine graduates are selected into the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Melbourne..."
My question is, are really 1/3 of UoM biomed graduates selected in the MD program? That number seems way too high... Of course these places include full fee places but still.
Can anyone confirm that this is true?? If so, wouldn't going to melb uni increase your chances of postgrad med?
if you look up that quote you are redirected to a UniMelb website with a report which shows the graduate locations from the biomedical cohort which shows 142/439 graduates from the program progressed into the MD. https://biomedicalsciences.unimelb....4930/B-BMED-grad-pathway-report-2010-2018.pdf

however this report does nothing to identify wether these graduates had the “””guaranteed””” chancellors scholars (99.90) or 99.00+ FFP places (which essentially only removes the GAMSAT, not guaranteed at all).

Considering the MD program is removing prerequisites from 2021 (IIRC) onwards, and most guaranteed people would be picking biomedical science to satisfy the prerequisites which were previously in place I would say these numbers are going to drop.

doing Biomedicine at UoM will do nothing to improve your chances at getting in unless your in one the guaranteed pathways mentioned before. If you are considering doing biomedicine/medical science as a pathway to medicine I suggest you read the Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

A1

Admissions Speculator
which shows 142/439 graduates from the program progressed into the MD
I have seen mentioned about 30 MD entrants via the 99.90 program (something like there was just 1 interview fail out of 30ish). Subtracting say 10 99.0s leaves around 100 entrants out of 400 non-99 Biomed grads.