Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO: Alternative ('Other') Category Chat/Enquiries

Any of the alternates who are doing HSFY this year keen to catch up before Semester starts? Thought it might be nice to know who each other are!

Carmax

Any of the alternates who are doing HSFY this year keen to catch up before Semester starts? Thought it might be nice to know who each other are!
Sure keen. I just rented a place without viewing...hope its what it says on the photos. Will be doing the long drive from Auckland in a couple of weeks. Will take it slow over a couple of days and let reality sink in as i drive to the unknown. I put in my official resignation last week...welcome Cleanskin 👌

Pwnter

UoO MBChB II
Sure keen. I just rented a place without viewing...hope its what it says on the photos. Will be doing the long drive from Auckland in a couple of weeks. Will take it slow over a couple of days and let reality sink in as i drive to the unknown. I put in my official resignation last week...welcome Cleanskin 👌
Chur the clean skin! Congrats haha

Anyone doing jumpstart physics before the start up of the year?

Keen to meet up to if anyone is already in Dunedin.
I’m keen to catch up. I’m not doing Jumpstart Physics but I’m doing CHEM150 which is the equivalent for Chemistry. Would you be interested in swapping notes? I’d be keen on brushing up on Physics but obviously you can’t do multiple Summer School papers.

I’m on campus all week and have a free slot between 12-1pm every day if you wanted to get coffee somewhere close by - perhaps The Good Earth cafe?

I’m keen to catch up. I’m not doing Jumpstart Physics but I’m doing CHEM150 which is the equivalent for Chemistry. Would you be interested in swapping notes? I’d be keen on brushing up on Physics but obviously you can’t do multiple Summer School papers.

I’m on campus all week and have a free slot between 12-1pm every day if you wanted to get coffee somewhere close by - perhaps The Good Earth cafe?
Open invite for coffee by the way if any other Alternates from this year were keen to catch up..

Makestro

Hey guys! I am currently considering applying under the alternative cateogry pathway, and was wondering if I could get some guidance on whether I should apply or not this year.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Pharmacy in 2020, having worked since 2018 as a Pharmacy assistant (whilst studying) and then I'll have been working as a hospital/clinical pharmacist for 2 years by the end of 2022. This would technically be 5 years of healthcare experience by the time 2023 comes around.

I am still be eligible under the Graduate Entry pathway as it has not been 3 years yet since I have graduated. But the entry requirements state that you can also demonstrate relevant health related experience approved by a medical commitee. I believe my GPA is also not very competitive as I did not do very well in Health Sciences First Year and the final year of my degree (weighted the highest out of all years) was structured so that only 85 out of 120 points are counted towards the GPA.

Please let me know if you guys think I could be a strong candidate with the experience I've gained so far.

ithinkican

Hey guys! I am currently considering applying under the alternative cateogry pathway, and was wondering if I could get some guidance on whether I should apply or not this year.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Pharmacy in 2020, having worked since 2018 as a Pharmacy assistant (whilst studying) and then I'll have been working as a hospital/clinical pharmacist for 2 years by the end of 2022. This would technically be 5 years of healthcare experience by the time 2023 comes around.

I am still be eligible under the Graduate Entry pathway as it has not been 3 years yet since I have graduated. But the entry requirements state that you can also demonstrate relevant health related experience approved by a medical commitee. I believe my GPA is also not very competitive as I did not do very well in Health Sciences First Year and the final year of my degree (weighted the highest out of all years) was structured so that only 85 out of 120 points are counted towards the GPA.

Please let me know if you guys think I could be a strong candidate with the experience I've gained so far.
Hi! I'm in a similar boat - I'm planning on applying under the alternative category but I have about 10 more years of health experience and am not eligible to apply under Otagos graduate category. The way I see it you have 2 opportunities to apply which is awesome! You could apply using the grad category this time then next time using the alt category (when you have more health experience). You could check OIA's to get an idea of how strong your GPA is in regards to prior successful applicants. Another thing to consider is you only get to use the alt category once so they advise you to use it wisely :)

Carmax

Well my 2nd week of lectures/labs. I had to do HSFY papers to proceed to ELM next year. If you get prescribed this pathway...accept it...and make it count...It has been good so far. A really good refresher considering I've been out of that 'level of action' for a while...content is huge though...lots of rote learning. I'm pretty much a full time student for now and it will stay that way for a while till i get my shit together.

Makestro

Hi! I'm in a similar boat - I'm planning on applying under the alternative category but I have about 10 more years of health experience and am not eligible to apply under Otagos graduate category. The way I see it you have 2 opportunities to apply which is awesome! You could apply using the grad category this time then next time using the alt category (when you have more health experience). You could check OIA's to get an idea of how strong your GPA is in regards to prior successful applicants. Another thing to consider is you only get to use the alt category once so they advise you to use it wisely :)

Thanks so much for your response. 10 years of health experience that's incredible! Which area of health did you work in?

I have tried calculating my GPA (and rank score) and it only comes to low 7's which is nowhere near competitive, generally 8 and above have been accepted for graduate category. (Also cannot apply for rural, low SES or anything like that) So I think I have to put all my eggs in 1 basket and go for this alternative category.

Technically I will have 5 years of pharmacy experience so I'm hoping that would be enough to be considered!

ithinkican

Thanks so much for your response. 10 years of health experience that's incredible! Which area of health did you work in?

I have tried calculating my GPA (and rank score) and it only comes to low 7's which is nowhere near competitive, generally 8 and above have been accepted for graduate category. (Also cannot apply for rural, low SES or anything like that) So I think I have to put all my eggs in 1 basket and go for this alternative category.

Technically I will have 5 years of pharmacy experience so I'm hoping that would be enough to be considered!
Fair enough. I don't think they'll care how many years of health experience someone has beyond 5 years as long as they have all the right qualities. Wow graduate and first year entry require very competitive GPAs these days. I've been working in health for about 14 years - I meant I have about 10 years on you lol (gosh I'm feeling old haha). I won't be too specific about my career because it's a small industry in NZ, everyone knows everyone and I would out myself lol. I've told my family/close friends that I'm planning on applying for med but haven't made it public yet, but I guess I might have to soon if I need to think about referees.

Are you also thinking about applying to Auckland through their grad entry category? While your GPA holds the most weight at Auckland (60%), the UCAT has a 15% weighting and MMI is worth 25%, so if you perform well in the interview and UCAT you would have a good shot at Auckland too :)

Makestro

Fair enough. I don't think they'll care how many years of health experience someone has beyond 5 years as long as they have all the right qualities. Wow graduate and first year entry require very competitive GPAs these days. I've been working in health for about 14 years - I meant I have about 10 years on you lol (gosh I'm feeling old haha). I won't be too specific about my career because it's a small industry in NZ, everyone knows everyone and I would out myself lol. I've told my family/close friends that I'm planning on applying for med but haven't made it public yet, but I guess I might have to soon if I need to think about referees.

Are you also thinking about applying to Auckland through their grad entry category? While your GPA holds the most weight at Auckland (60%), the UCAT has a 15% weighting and MMI is worth 25%, so if you perform well in the interview and UCAT you would have a good shot at Auckland too :)

I have thought about Auckland medicine as I feel I do have a slightly higher chance there compared to Otago graduate entry. But would probably prefer being back in Otago if I were a University student. Absolutely loved the Uni and got used to the weather by my 2nd year haha. Auckland seems a little expensive and traffic is also another deterrent.

I will have to think about it soon though, and then think about sitting UCAT as well. Thanks for the suggestion

Well my 2nd week of lectures/labs. I had to do HSFY papers to proceed to ELM next year. If you get prescribed this pathway...accept it...and make it count...It has been good so far. A really good refresher considering I've been out of that 'level of action' for a while...content is huge though...lots of rote learning. I'm pretty much a full time student for now and it will stay that way for a while till i get my shit together.
I feel that. Physics is taking me hours.. sophdio and I have been catching up and staying in touch if you’re keen. We haven’t found any other alternates on HSFY yet!

Carmax

I feel that. Physics is taking me hours.. sophdio and I have been catching up and staying in touch if you’re keen. We haven’t found any other alternates on HSFY yet!
Definitely keen please. PM me if you can please. Physics is like "Die Hard". Hated it in high school but had to do it. Not my strength but I'll give it a good crack.

ImmortalFire

UoO MBChB II

my unsolicited 2c as a recent Auckland post-grad, the traffic may come as a shock at first, but overall it can be manageable! Seeing how much of a hail mary the alt grad pathway seems to be from previous comments, I'd suggest applying for UoA as well to max your chances. UoA have also recently changed the grad app rules so that you can reapply with each new qualification you have. If you were considering additional study (ie 1-year PgDip etc) to boost your GPA, that could be a possible avenue to look at as well!

Slight aside, its really cool to see others who are looking to apply this year as well. I love how rolling this thread is! Following on from the other intros, a brief bit about me - I'm a huge lurker of this thread, currently in medtech industry research, have an undergrad background in physiology/psych, a Masters in health psychology and 6 years exp working in the public health system. Ngl definitely a bit intimidated by a lot of y'all but its great to meet y'all on this roller coaster of a journey!!

Looking forward to more intros and wisdom sharing as we go along :D

edit: oh dear, I've just realised I just quoted the wrong comment, great start *face palm*

Carmax

my unsolicited 2c as a recent Auckland post-grad, the traffic may come as a shock at first, but overall it can be manageable! Seeing how much of a hail mary the alt grad pathway seems to be from previous comments, I'd suggest applying for UoA as well to max your chances. UoA have also recently changed the grad app rules so that you can reapply with each new qualification you have. If you were considering additional study (ie 1-year PgDip etc) to boost your GPA, that could be a possible avenue to look at as well!

Slight aside, its really cool to see others who are looking to apply this year as well. I love how rolling this thread is! Following on from the other intros, a brief bit about me - I'm a huge lurker of this thread, currently in medtech industry research, have an undergrad background in physiology/psych, a Masters in health psychology and 6 years exp working in the public health system. Ngl definitely a bit intimidated by a lot of y'all but its great to meet y'all on this roller coaster of a journey!!

Looking forward to more intros and wisdom sharing as we go along :D

edit: oh dear, I've just realised I just quoted the wrong comment, great start *face palm*
Just thought I'd throw in a brainwave being a recent Alt Ent.
1. Don't tell anyone your applying until you get an interview invite. The pressure from letting people know can be distracting.
2. Grades don't really matter so long as you've been consistent in achieving your qualifications. They are quite selective on the 20 people they admit through this category each year
3. Start working on your personal statement. That's the most important admission element. You sell yourself on a page. I found out that personal statement is compulsory for Med School admissions in American Universities. So watched lots of YouTube videos and did some research and it took two months to write my final version. Its not something you rush.
4. Work on your CV using action verbs. Remember you're not applying for a JOB
5. And keep your fingers crossed.
Goodluck