Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi,
Just wondering if textbooks are necessary for PHSL and MICR papers? I hardly used them in HSFY, so just wanna ask before buying.
And also is it worth buying the Anki app?

Maybe the occasional read to understand concepts but you wouldn't need to do that often as slides/lab notes are good enough so I reckon save yourself some money and just read them at the library or find pdf versions for them when you're stuck or want to fluff up practice exam answers.

Anki is free unless you're talking about getting the app on your Apple phone which you have to pay for? That's for you to decide. I have an Android so the mobile Anki app is free and I used it a lot.

Hi,
Just wondering if textbooks are necessary for PHSL and MICR papers? I hardly used them in HSFY, so just wanna ask before buying.
And also is it worth buying the Anki app?
I'm not sure about micro but I did all 200 level PHSL papers and you don't need the textbook, 100% of what you need to know will be in the lectures/labs

babab

Hey guys,
I'm a bit confused as to what paper I should choose between ANAT241 and BIOC221, I know I'll enjoy both so it comes down to which papers is the easier one out of the two. Any suggestions?

Hi anonymous11, at the time when you received the email that you had been declined by the admissions office did you email them querying why they declined your application?
The reason for asking this is that I have been declined with a weighted GPA of 8.77 (2024 application cycle) and had had the two ticks identifying that I had passed the UCAT threshold. I noticed that frogcat21 received an offer for medicine with a weighted GPA of 8.71 (2024 application cycle), although frogcat21 declined the offer. Should I be hopeful that I may be placed on the waiting list (after being declined a position)?

I took a pre-summer school paper.

Thank you for taking the time to read my query!
did you calculate your.gpa properly? Does.it indicate that you've completed your programme?

did you calculate your.gpa properly? Does.it indicate that you've completed your programme?
Remember 300x6 18 points and 300x1 6 points; 13x200 18points and 1x200 6points

crispr

Hey guys,
I'm a bit confused as to what paper I should choose between ANAT241 and BIOC221, I know I'll enjoy both so it comes down to which papers is the easier one out of the two. Any suggestions?
For me personally, I found ANAT241 extremely easy in comparison to BIOC221. Prob easiest A+ from that semester for me. It's structured into four main modules, 3 of which are revision/easy content. The MSK module is daunting, but if you are fine with being consistent with anki/memorisation of large amounts of information, it's honestly fine. BIOC221 is very technical - heaps of molecular steps which didn't 'click' for me like MSK did, just because I could much easier visualise muscle movements and attachments over biochemical steps in a reaction to ubiquitylate a protein hahah. I do know a lot of people that did super well on BIOC221 tho, most of them were BIOC majors.

babab

For me personally, I found ANAT241 extremely easy in comparison to BIOC221. Prob easiest A+ from that semester for me. It's structured into four main modules, 3 of which are revision/easy content. The MSK module is daunting, but if you are fine with being consistent with anki/memorisation of large amounts of information, it's honestly fine. BIOC221 is very technical - heaps of molecular steps which didn't 'click' for me like MSK did, just because I could much easier visualise muscle movements and attachments over biochemical steps in a reaction to ubiquitylate a protein hahah. I do know a lot of people that did super well on BIOC221 tho, most of them were BIOC majors.
Hey, thanks for replying. Do you think it’s still possible to get A+ when you’re taking 4 papers per sem? All the people I’ve talked to only took 3 papers per sem during 200 level, which made it easier for them to get A+ due to lower workload and more time.

crispr

Hey, thanks for replying. Do you think it’s still possible to get A+ when you’re taking 4 papers per sem? All the people I’ve talked to only took 3 papers per sem during 200 level, which made it easier for them to get A+ due to lower workload and more time.
Definitely, depending on the person. It's all about time management and prioritisation but I did 4 each sem and A+'d them all. Don't push yourself if you feel this won't work for you - maybe do a 3/4 split if you feel there is a particularly hard paper in one sem you may need to put more energy into (some ppl did this with PATH201 I think).

la pulga

Hey guys, just had a question about how GPA calculation works for grads...

1707810354991.png

Having trouble understanding what I've done wrong. I put in hypothetical results totalling to 360 points, but only coming out with a 5.25 GPA. Can anyone let me know what I should be changing up, as I'm trying to see how many papers I SHOULD be taking in my grad route for the next 2 years.

Thanks!

View attachment 5695

Having trouble understanding what I've done wrong. I put in hypothetical results totalling to 360 points, but only coming out with a 5.25 GPA. Can anyone let me know what I should be changing up, as I'm trying to see how many papers I SHOULD be taking in my grad route for the next 2 years.

Thanks!
I think something's wrong with your GPA spreadsheet, because all the paper scores cannot add up to 90. For example, for 200 level 9 times 18 times 1 is 162 score, not 90. It should also be your best 14 papers from 1st and second year. I've attached a photo as an example.

Attachments

• Example GPA.png
    Example GPA.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 10

Thomspoon

View attachment 5695

Thanks!
Check at the bottom of the sheet if you are using the 3 year template, I made this mistake the first time calculating mine.

la pulga

I think something's wrong with your GPA spreadsheet, because all the paper scores cannot add up to 90. For example, for 200 level 9 times 18 times 1 is 162 score, not 90. It should also be your best 14 papers from 1st and second year. I've attached a photo as an example.
Check at the bottom of the sheet if you are using the 3 year template, I made this mistake the first time calculating mine.
perfect works now thanks guys!

so that gpa, assuming all A+, would be MAX 9.74. I could play around with it, assume I only achieve a certain number of A+'s instead and see how my max GPA changes. I have the right idea right?

edit: I could also change it so i take more 200's to replace my 100's via PXSS and/or SS and actually achieve higher than 9.74 but yeah

perfect works now thanks guys!

so that gpa, assuming all A+, would be MAX 9.74. I could play around with it, assume I only achieve a certain number of A+'s instead and see how my max GPA changes. I have the right idea right?

edit: I could also change it so i take more 200's to replace my 100's via PXSS and/or SS and actually achieve higher than 9.74 but yeah
Yes that's right! Just be aware that getting above 9.74 is very difficult - even last year the minimum GPA was 8.43 and median was 9.08 for generals

la pulga

what would you guys say is a safe GPA to end up with, for DENT entry. First round and waitlist approximations would be rly appreciated - trying to finalize my structure for postgrad rn.

Right now, if i take 8x 200lvl papers and 7x 300lvl papers (NO ss or pxss at all), my max GPA is 9.24 assuming all A+'s for the next 2 years. Can someone comment on how realistic that is with taking a BSc Physiology - would the proper holiday break and less papers overall help with preventing burnout and actually getting a 9.24 or close?

Or would that be a gamble, and worth to take SS and/or PXSS papers to increase what my max gpa is and give me more breathing room if i didn't get all A+ since more 200's (but MUCH less holiday). It's scary to think that i'd have to do uni straight for that long, can ppl tell me their SS and PXSS experiences and how they coped, and if they thought it was worth?

you guys all help so much, lmk :)

Last edited:

Neb5802

what would you guys say is a safe GPA to end up with, for DENT entry. First round and waitlist approximations would be rly appreciated - trying to finalize my structure for postgrad rn.

Right now, if i take 8x 200lvl papers and 7x 300lvl papers (NO ss or pxss at all), my max GPA is 9.24 assuming all A+'s for the next 2 years. Can someone comment on how realistic that is with taking a BSc Physiology - would the proper holiday break and less papers overall help with preventing burnout and actually getting a 9.24 or close?

Or would that be a gamble, and worth to take SS and/or PXSS papers to increase what my max gpa is and give me more breathing room if i didn't get all A+ since more 200's (but MUCH less holiday). It's scary to think that i'd have to do uni straight for that long, can ppl tell me their SS and PXSS experiences and how they coped, and if they thought it was worth?

you guys all help so much, lmk :)
Personally I'd recommend doing both SS and PXSS at least once as the workload for both of them are often not as intense as the usual semesters depending on the papers you choose (MATS204 (SS) and RELS200/300 level (PXSS) highly recommended). Although you will be sacrificing a significant amount of holiday time, it will most likely boost your weighted GPA significantly (+0.225 per A+ in 200 level paper approximately), which can definitely help with reducing the stress of achieving high grades during normal semesters while maintaining a high weighted GPA. If you do end up taking both SS and PXSS back to back, you'll still have ~3 weeks of break in between them and a couple of days or 1 week between S2-PXSS and SS-S1. It's only what worked for me though and different people may have different preferences or circumstances when it comes to how they want to spend their holiday.

la pulga

Am I allowed to do PXSS twice (once at end of 2nd year, 1x 200lvl paper) but also again at the end of 3rd year (again taking 1x 200lvl paper, NOT a 300lvl paper).

I'm re-applying to aus dent schools this year for 2025 entry, so if I actually am on track with that in terms of a good ucat score and completion of interview, I kinda dont wanna be starting SS (cus thats the same time the aus offers come out!).

Essentially, instead of doing SS taking 2x 200lvl papers, i take those 2x 200lvl papers in PXSS but in both 2nd and 3rd year (3rd year obv would only happen if aussie didnt work out).

Am I allowed to do PXSS twice (once at end of 2nd year, 1x 200lvl paper) but also again at the end of 3rd year (again taking 1x 200lvl paper, NOT a 300lvl paper).

I'm re-applying to aus dent schools this year for 2025 entry, so if I actually am on track with that in terms of a good ucat score and completion of interview, I kinda dont wanna be starting SS (cus thats the same time the aus offers come out!).

Essentially, instead of doing SS taking 2x 200lvl papers, i take those 2x 200lvl papers in PXSS but in both 2nd and 3rd year (3rd year obv would only happen if aussie didnt work out).
Yes you can do PXSS in third year, it's just your offer might come a few weeks after since you need your PXSS grades finalized, but that's it

Just be aware that there are usually only two 200-level papers offered in PXSS so there's less options than SS

la pulga

Yes you can do PXSS in third year, it's just your offer might come a few weeks after since you need your PXSS grades finalized, but that's it

Just be aware that there are usually only two 200-level papers offered in PXSS so there's less options than SS
But i can do a 200lvl PXSS paper at end of 3rd year right, not necessarily a 300lvl

la pulga

Hi, does anyone recommend taking MICR223, or know any inside info about it (the course outline looks alright but wondering if someone could share their personal experience). This is the same with MICR221 and 222 please! Thanks!

Forgot to add in, if someone also has any personal experiences about BIOC221 if they took it, and if they'd recommend it!! (this would be so helpful). If someone has the BIOC221 course outline too (long shot ik), then that'd be EVEN MORE of a blessing.

Let me know guys! :)

Last edited: