Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

mani

Hey thanks for your response! Would you be able to show how you’ve calculated it, because after reading your response, your calculations seem to make more sense and I’d like to know where I went wrong?
Yeah of course!! Before I start though I want to say that I am not actually sure if my method of calculating a weighted GPA is correct, but I think that it is. In terms of the calculations I'll do the first couple as worked examples and then leave the rest for you to calculate. Now I'm not 100% sure but I think most UoA papers are worth 15 points(?) which means that you need to take 24 papers to make 360 points and to max out the 120 300 level points you would have to take 8 300 level papers, which imo seems a bit extreme. On top of this, you want to 'max' out your 200 level papers to effectively remove some 100 level papers from your calculation, as they are weighted more strongly than the 100 levels. So lets assume you took 8 100 levels, 10 200 and 7 300.

We take up to 120 300 level points (of which you would have achieved 105). This means we need to fill the remaining 255 points with 100/200 level papers. As you took 10 200 level papers (150 points) this means there are 120 points remaining, or 7 100 level papers. To calculate this just multiply each paper by how ever many points it is worth (15 in this case).

So, to calculate your weighted GPA we use x7 100 level, x 10 200 level, & x7 300 level.

Now though you took 8 100 level we only look at the best 7. Lets assume you got 1 A and 6 A+'s. An A is worth an 8 on the GPA scale and an A+ is worth a 9. Remember that 100 level papers are weighted at 0.5x. Since you got one A then: 8 (grade for a paper(s)) x 1 (number of papers achieved at that grade) x 15 (number of points) x 0.5 (weighting) = 60. Since you got six A+ then: 9 x 6 x 15 x 0.5 = 405. Now add the numbers together to get 465. For the 200's the weighting is 1.0. Lets assume 1 is an A-, 3 are A's and 6 are A+. Then, 7 x 1 x 15 x 1.0 = 105. 8 x 3 x 15 x 1.0 =360. 9 x 6 x 15 x 1.0 = 810. Total for 200's = 1275. For the 300's assume that 1 is A-, 3 are A's and 3 are A+. The total you get should be 1304.5

Now combine all the 'points', 465 + 1275 + 1304.5 = 3044.5. Divide this by 120 (number of points per year) and then by 3 (number of years to get degree) and the weighted GPA is 8.45. If you are in the general entry category to get a first round offer for 2022 you needed a 9.13 to receive a waitlist offer the lowest GPA was 8.59. If you belong to any of the equity groups (Māori, rural, Pacific, etc) then these stats are a bit different. Remember that if you took more 200 level papers (and achieved a B or higher) then they would be worth more than an A+ 100 level paper (due to weighting). If you took an additional 300 level (and did better than a B+) then this would boost your GPA more. Finally, if you achieved better than the theoretical grades I used then it would also increase. If you need any help/clarification feel free to pm me and I can try help :))

Yeah of course!! Before I start though I want to say that I am not actually sure if my method of calculating a weighted GPA is correct, but I think that it is. In terms of the calculations I'll do the first couple as worked examples and then leave the rest for you to calculate. Now I'm not 100% sure but I think most UoA papers are worth 15 points(?) which means that you need to take 24 papers to make 360 points and to max out the 120 300 level points you would have to take 8 300 level papers, which imo seems a bit extreme. On top of this, you want to 'max' out your 200 level papers to effectively remove some 100 level papers from your calculation, as they are weighted more strongly than the 100 levels. So lets assume you took 8 100 levels, 10 200 and 7 300.

We take up to 120 300 level points (of which you would have achieved 105). This means we need to fill the remaining 255 points with 100/200 level papers. As you took 10 200 level papers (150 points) this means there are 120 points remaining, or 7 100 level papers. To calculate this just multiply each paper by how ever many points it is worth (15 in this case).

So, to calculate your weighted GPA we use x7 100 level, x 10 200 level, & x7 300 level.

Now though you took 8 100 level we only look at the best 7. Lets assume you got 1 A and 6 A+'s. An A is worth an 8 on the GPA scale and an A+ is worth a 9. Remember that 100 level papers are weighted at 0.5x. Since you got one A then: 8 (grade for a paper(s)) x 1 (number of papers achieved at that grade) x 15 (number of points) x 0.5 (weighting) = 60. Since you got six A+ then: 9 x 6 x 15 x 0.5 = 405. Now add the numbers together to get 465. For the 200's the weighting is 1.0. Lets assume 1 is an A-, 3 are A's and 6 are A+. Then, 7 x 1 x 15 x 1.0 = 105. 8 x 3 x 15 x 1.0 =360. 9 x 6 x 15 x 1.0 = 810. Total for 200's = 1275. For the 300's assume that 1 is A-, 3 are A's and 3 are A+. The total you get should be 1304.5

Now combine all the 'points', 465 + 1275 + 1304.5 = 3044.5. Divide this by 120 (number of points per year) and then by 3 (number of years to get degree) and the weighted GPA is 8.45. If you are in the general entry category to get a first round offer for 2022 you needed a 9.13 to receive a waitlist offer the lowest GPA was 8.59. If you belong to any of the equity groups (Māori, rural, Pacific, etc) then these stats are a bit different. Remember that if you took more 200 level papers (and achieved a B or higher) then they would be worth more than an A+ 100 level paper (due to weighting). If you took an additional 300 level (and did better than a B+) then this would boost your GPA more. Finally, if you achieved better than the theoretical grades I used then it would also increase. If you need any help/clarification feel free to pm me and I can try help :))
You’re a legend!!! It looks like I messed up the division part, so thanks a lot for clearing it up :))

Hi,

Has anyone done ANAT335 (Neuroanatomy)? I have heard really bad things about it but I have to do either ANAT334 (Developmental anatomy) or 335 to complete my degree and I found 200 level neuroanatomy way more up my alley compared to 200 level developmental anatomy.

If anyone has done ANAT335, it would be great if you would be able to tell me a bit about it (i.e. how are the lecturers and how difficult is it to get an A+ or A in it).

Much appreciated :)
Hi, wondering if anyone can answer this? I am also interested in taking ANAT335 but am keen to hear other people's experiences from taking this paper

cereal

Hi everyone,

I am having a bit of a debacle with the rural subcategory definitions. When I applied for medicine in 2019, I counted as being in the rural subcategory, however they now appear to be using a different map to define it. Back in 2019, my childhood home, my primary school, and my high school were all classified as rural, or possibly got lumped in with a nearby town as urban satellite town (still rural). Even now, my childhood home and primary school still are literally amongst farmland, but the new maps they use completely envelop that entire region as U1. Has anyone else had this happen? Would I still qualify because I have before or am I just completely out of the category now?

I have decided to apply again this year, but this is pretty offputting as I know I would not get in off the general category (y'all be getting crazy grades over there). Luckily I still qualify for Auckland's rural pathway, but this really sucks as then I have to completely rely on getting in Auckland.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi everyone,

I am having a bit of a debacle with the rural subcategory definitions. When I applied for medicine in 2019, I counted as being in the rural subcategory, however they now appear to be using a different map to define it. Back in 2019, my childhood home, my primary school, and my high school were all classified as rural, or possibly got lumped in with a nearby town as urban satellite town (still rural). Even now, my childhood home and primary school still are literally amongst farmland, but the new maps they use completely envelop that entire region as U1. Has anyone else had this happen? Would I still qualify because I have before or am I just completely out of the category now?

I have decided to apply again this year, but this is pretty offputting as I know I would not get in off the general category (y'all be getting crazy grades over there). Luckily I still qualify for Auckland's rural pathway, but this really sucks as then I have to completely rely on getting in Auckland.

Give AskOtago a go - if they can't help I'm sure they can direct you to someone who can (probably the admissions team).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Would I still qualify because I have before or am I just completely out of the category now?

d.
Definitely ask but, if it’s anything like Aus, unfortunately you’ll no longer be considered rural based on the reclassification. Good luck with Auckland!

raccooneyes

Yup, I'm doing CHTH :) The lecturer said that the majority of the class were science students but I'm not sure of the exact number who are applying to a professional course this year. I definitely know of more than 5 though. I feel like barely any of the science students watch the lectures live on zoom, most podcast it at other times so that may give the illusion that there's not many
Hey, I know this is a bit of a throwback but I'm considering doing PXSS and I was wondering if you (or anyone who's taken CHTH335) would be able to comment on how you found the lecture content and internal assessments, especially coming from a science background? Thank you 🥲

Hey, hope peoples grades went well today! Just been doing a few GPA calculations to see where I'm sitting and what to do for next semester and had a quick question about how to do the calculation for 300 level papers. The score is from a maximum of 120 points, however if you take 6 papers you have 108 points, and if you take 7 papers you have 126 points. If I have 7 300 level papers, how does that last paper get counted? Do you get 12/18 points with the 1.5 multiplier, then 6/18 points with the 1.0 multiplier? Or do only full papers get counted so is that 7th paper considered the same as a 200 level paper (1.0 multiplier)? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks for the help! :)

Hi, I'm a second year and I just had a question or two about graduate entry GPA calculations to try and maximise my second semester.

For weighting, is it all papers that get TAKEN at third year that get weighted 1.5? Example, even if you took BIOC221 in your third year hypothetically, that would be weighted 1.5? Or rather, is it all 300 level papers that get weighted 1.5, regardless of the year you personally take them in?

My other question was similar to the one above, I'm considering taking 3 papers this semester, so 7 papers in second year total. Is there any GPA disadvantage to this? I thought I remembered reading something that implied that somewhere, but can't seem to find it again.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help! :) hope everyone's semester break went well

cereal

Hi, I'm a second year and I just had a question or two about graduate entry GPA calculations to try and maximise my second semester.

For weighting, is it all papers that get TAKEN at third year that get weighted 1.5? Example, even if you took BIOC221 in your third year hypothetically, that would be weighted 1.5? Or rather, is it all 300 level papers that get weighted 1.5, regardless of the year you personally take them in?

My other question was similar to the one above, I'm considering taking 3 papers this semester, so 7 papers in second year total. Is there any GPA disadvantage to this? I thought I remembered reading something that implied that somewhere, but can't seem to find it again.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help! :) hope everyone's semester break went well
Hiya,
The weighting is entirely by level, year taken does not matter at all. So if you take BIOC221 in third year, it will still be weighted at 1x because it is a 200-level paper.
In general, taking less 200-level papers than you could puts you at a slight disadvantage. This is because after the weighting for 300-level papers is calculated, all remaining papers (up to 240 pts) to make up the 360 points total of the degree are calculated. Therefore if you have lots of 200-level papers, due to their weighting being higher than 100-level papers, even just getting a B+ in a 200-level paper (weighted at a value of 108; 18 * 6 * 1= 108) adds more to your weighted gpa than a 100-level paper at A+ (weighted at a value of only 81! 18 * 9 * 0.5). Does that make sense?

However it's only a slight difference overall and if you want a semester with a slightly lower workload, then seriously just do it. If you take too many papers when you're feeling burnt out you risk lowering your average overall due to the higher workload, y'know?

MintMarbles

That’s what I don’t understand! The offers are out already so what are we all still waiting for? And why are only some people affected by it?!
Hey there, I noticed that you got offered the radiation therapy interview last year. I'm interested in applying this year, do you have any tips on what they ask during the interview? Can't find anything online. Thank you so much :)

Hey, hate to be yet another person asking this but I'm just wondering if someone could please check whether my weighted GPA calculations are looking correct so far. I'm mostly not too sure about how calculations would work if I've taken more than 6 papers at 300 level (am aware the limit is 120 points) and am hoping someone with experience to confirm what I have/correct me. Thanks :)

Bootleg

Hey, hate to be yet another person asking this but I'm just wondering if someone could please check whether my weighted GPA calculations are looking correct so far. I'm mostly not too sure about how calculations would work if I've taken more than 6 papers at 300 level (am aware the limit is 120 points) and am hoping someone with experience to confirm what I have/correct me. Thanks :)
Sure. I have sent you a PM

ang1116

Thanks Fili I think it was 50th percentile DM in 2020 😅

Also, is there a way to like calculate what the score is if e.g. scored 20th percentile for VR or 57th for DM?

Bootleg

Thanks Fili I think it was 50th percentile DM in 2020 😅
It was around 53rd percentile for 2020 entry (score >620) meet the threshold. For 2021 entry, it was 640 or above (~57th percentile), last year (2022 entry) it was >630 again 55-57th percentile ish (roughly).