Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO HSFY 2022

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Hey Everyone,

By request from eileithyia its time for a new HSFY 2022 cohort page.

We have hosted HSFY discussions for like at least 10 years now so please do use the search function for technical advice (textbook/halls of residence advice/etc) ...

Nonetheless use this page to host the endless amount of questions, rants, or general HSFY related chit-chattery

may the odds be ever in your favour

eileithyia

Thank you kind mod <3 I am much obliged :yay:

How is everyone feeling about next year? I'm cautiously optimistic, just trying to enjoy my final year of peace and quiet at home. However, I'm yet another annoying fresher in that I'm incredibly excited :p

What halls are we all in and what professional course are we hoping to enter? I'm staying at UniCol, as per my eating restrictions require me to. I'm honestly not sure what professional course I hope to enter, although I currently have my sights set on dentistry. I'm guessing med for most of you? 😁

Can't wait to meet you all! Best of luck for your final NCEA exams.

ExodianSin

Lurker
Thank you kind mod <3 I am much obliged :yay:

How is everyone feeling about next year? I'm cautiously optimistic, just trying to enjoy my final year of peace and quiet at home. However, I'm yet another annoying fresher in that I'm incredibly excited :p

What halls are we all in and what professional course are we hoping to enter? I'm staying at UniCol, as per my eating restrictions require me to. I'm honestly not sure what professional course I hope to enter, although I currently have my sights set on dentistry. I'm guessing med for most of you? 😁

Can't wait to meet you all! Best of luck for your final NCEA exams.
I am super duper pumped for next year! Just another 118 days till I make my way down! This year has pretty much just been a blur so I wanna take things slow next year.

I'm going to be in Carrington and as you guessed, I want to gain entry to Medicine; Carrington, from what I've gathered has one of the more studious reputations, hence it became my first preference.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your year and good luck with your exams too!😁

eileithyia

I am super duper pumped for next year! Just another 118 days till I make my way down! This year has pretty much just been a blur so I wanna take things slow next year.

I'm going to be in Carrington and as you guessed, I want to gain entry to Medicine; Carrington, from what I've gathered has one of the more studious reputations, hence it became my first preference.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your year and good luck with your exams too!😁
118 days! Wow - it sure has come around fast!

Yes, one of my friends is going to Carrington. I toured it back in May (before I realised UniCol was the only possibility for me) and it's gorgeous. I think you're going to have a wonderful time there!

Carrington does have a studious reputation for sure. For me personally, I'm quite self-directed (as in, I prefer studying alone) so I'm hoping that I'm not at any sort of disadvantage being from a notoriously partying hall.

I just noticed you're from Christchurch, ExodianSin. Me too! You also type like my friend who is going to Carrington, so I can't help but wonder if you're him... :eek::p

What are you most nervous and most excited for next year?

ExodianSin

Lurker
118 days! Wow - it sure has come around fast!

Yes, one of my friends is going to Carrington. I toured it back in May (before I realised UniCol was the only possibility for me) and it's gorgeous. I think you're going to have a wonderful time there!

Carrington does have a studious reputation for sure. For me personally, I'm quite self-directed (as in, I prefer studying alone) so I'm hoping that I'm not at any sort of disadvantage being from a notoriously partying hall.

I just noticed you're from Christchurch, ExodianSin. Me too! You also type like my friend who is going to Carrington, so I can't help but wonder if you're him... :eek::p

What are you most nervous and most excited for next year?
Thank you for the assurance! From what I've seen of it, there is a lot of greenery so I'm gonna use it to my full advantage next year; that vitamin D will all be mine.

I'm kinda lax when it comes to studying so that's gonna be a big change for me going into next year. I'm certain you'll be fine. I couldn't see you heavily partying anyways 😂.

It's a small world.

I'm most excited to meet new people next year; fun people, boring people, crazy people, intelligent people, funny people, all of the people. I'm most nervous about being lazy next year. I know it's a self-driven thing but I feel like if I fall into the hole once, I'd never manage to get out.

eileithyia

Thank you for the assurance! From what I've seen of it, there is a lot of greenery so I'm gonna use it to my full advantage next year; that vitamin D will all be mine.

I'm kinda lax when it comes to studying so that's gonna be a big change for me going into next year. I'm certain you'll be fine. I couldn't see you heavily partying anyways 😂.

It's a small world.

I'm most excited to meet new people next year; fun people, boring people, crazy people, intelligent people, funny people, all of the people. I'm most nervous about being lazy next year. I know it's a self-driven thing but I feel like if I fall into the hole once, I'd never manage to get out.
Oh, wow.
I run into you everywhere online, if you truly are who I think you are.

If so, I’ll speak directly to you. Even if not… This message applies to anyone, really.

You have so got this. I think you’re going to thrive next year. High school and University are so different (as I have heard). You’re smart and motivated, and you’ve still got time to build up the skills you need to succeed.

Plus, you’re naturally smart, so you’re already at a slight advantage over a lot of people. Of course you still have to work hard, but it’s a nice bonus to start with… :yay:

Medworm

Hey everyone,
Can anyone explain the assessment structure of HSFY. Does it have presentations, group tasks, etc which count towards our final grade for the 7 papers, OR is it just the final assessment that gets counted towards our score?

Hey everyone,
Can anyone explain the assessment structure of HSFY. Does it have presentations, group tasks, etc which count towards our final grade for the 7 papers, OR is it just the final assessment that gets counted towards our score?
Assuming the 2022 course structure remains the exact same as the 2021 course structure (Likely), there is no group work or presentations but there are usually one or two internally assessed "progress tests" as well as lab assessment tests that count towards your final grade. However final exams are the bread and butter and usually account for about 70% of your overall final grade.

TePutekai

UoO MBChB II
Hey everyone,
Assuming that they are run the same as 2021, all of the 'science' papers (those being everything except POPH) are structured in the same way. That is, 10% from labs, 20% from progress test(s), and 70% from final exams. All the progress tests for these science papers are MCQ, but the final exams of HUBS, CELS, and BIOC have both MCQ and questions ranging from short answer questions to mini-essays.

The only real exceptions are that HUBS papers have two progress tests, one worth 8% and one worth 12%, and physics has plussage which will be explained to you.

There is no group work or presentations for the 7 papers of HSFY, but there may be some for your optional 8th paper, depending on which one you take. I'd strongly advise asking people in your hall who might've taken a paper before you consider taking it as structures change all the time (such as MAOR102 being revamped sem 1 2021)

Pwnter

UoO MBChB II
Top tip for all HSFY 2022: Choose COMP 111 as your optional 8th! Absolute peach of a paper for anyone with any basic ability to use simple Microsoft office programmes.

punk

Lurker
Is it the marks (above 95%) only that matters for admission to medicine in genral category or does the medical addmisions comittee also consider other factors for admission (for example overseas schooling, employment history,etc)

Is it the marks (above 95%) only that matters for admission to medicine in genral category or does the medical addmisions comittee also consider other factors for admission (for example overseas schooling, employment history,etc)
Under the general pathway admission is based entirely on grades at UoO (you will be able to find historic averages in other chatt threds on this site) additionally you need to meet the thresholds they set for the ucat exam (which also can be found on other threads) the other factors you mentioned are not considered under the general path.

moufou

I am about to study the core papers of the semester one during this holidays.
It would be apprecuated that anyone let me know where I can get resouces

BenF71202

Learncoach does some good videos on the major concept of the health science papers but you have to recognise that paper contents vary each year so the information might be slightly outdated and in health science they require a very detailed understanding in all to get all the difficult McQs

BenF71202

Also studocu might have the lecture slides from 2021 if you want and also notes summary from previous students

Medworm

Thank you so much for explaining the course structure. Much appreciated! TePutekai if you don’t mind, could you please send the notes?
thanks in advance

hey everyone,
Just got an offer to study HSFY at Otago. I am an Australian student and got 98.40 ATAR. But I just messed up UCAT ( got only 2700) even after taking a gap year. But now at this stage, I am so confused. I am tossing up between WSU physiotherapy and HSFY. Could anyone please help me out?

hey everyone,
Just got an offer to study HSFY at Otago. I am an Australian student and got 98.40 ATAR. But I just messed up UCAT ( got only 2700) even after taking a gap year. But now at this stage, I am so confused. I am tossing up between WSU physiotherapy and HSFY. Could anyone please help me out?
How much you have left in your gas tank? That UCAT would most likely easily meet the threshold they have for Med in Dunedin but the HSFY course itself won’t be a walk in the park. But if med is what you really want and you’re up for a challenge definitely cross the ditch.

Medworm

How much you have left in your gas tank? That UCAT would most likely easily meet the threshold they have for Med in Dunedin but the HSFY course itself won’t be a walk in the park. But if med is what you really want and you’re up for a challenge definitely cross the ditch.
I am into med so it wouldn't be a problem. I love studying science so when it comes to the HSFY papers, I believe that, it's gonna be really ok. So considering only the UCAT, UoO should be ok

I am into med so it wouldn't be a problem. I love studying science so when it comes to the HSFY papers, I believe that, it's gonna be really ok. So considering only the UCAT, UoO should be ok
Yea I think you‘d stroll across the line, the thresholds aren’t very high and you’d be a expert by the time it’d come round in July. For med in Otago they only look at VR and SJT categories of the UCAT.