UoO HSFY 2024

Hello,
I'm just wondering, what is the point of lowering the grade thresholds for applying for Med and Dent. Does that just affect the categories and not the general categories? Or does it imply this cohort scored a lower average than usual...

so the main focus is just VR and SJT do the others matter?
I would say focus on VR and SJ but definitely don't entirely neglect the others

Finally been able to confirm my Email. has anyone had any experience with the animal biology or Greek mythology optional papers? Or would it be wise to stick to the tried and tested? Thanks

Does anyone know a rough threshold for dent interviews?
In terms of average marks in the sem 1 papers?

Hello,
I'm just wondering, what is the point of lowering the grade thresholds for applying for Med and Dent. Does that just affect the categories and not the general categories? Or does it imply this cohort scored a lower average than usual...
I think you are correct, the only categories which will be advantaged by this change would be Rural, Pacific & Maori etc. As general entry is usually never below 90% average to get into med.

As the government did increase the number of spots into med by around 25 this year, it means more students can be fitted into next years cohort and making the threshold lower, potentially allows more non general entry category students to enter in than would otherwise.

Sidenote: I’m a Current ALM student at otago and can tell you that in recent years we’ve had record number of students repeating 2nd and 3rd year due to how hard med school exams can be. So not really sure of the rationale of decreasing the entry threshold when all categories of entry eventually sit the same exams in med.

Reactions: MIH
has anyone ever sat the paper for reconsideration, what date is that exam usually?
according to Otago’s website,Semester 1 2024 special exams will be held from Monday 15 to Wednesday 24 July 2024 (the first two weeks of semester 2)

Anybody got study tips for the sem 2 papers, heard poph and bioc are pretty hard

Also option to add 8th paper is on evision now under change course

Does anyone know roughly how many questions I need to get right in the vr section to reach the threshold. Been using medify and i usually get around 25/44 which translates to a 550 (kinda questionable) :confused:. Little bit discouraged atm since 20th percentile was 540 last yr and will probably increase again + i have about a week left before I sit it

Does anyone know roughly how many questions I need to get right in the vr section to reach the threshold. Been using medify and i usually get around 25/44 which translates to a 550 (kinda questionable) :confused:. Little bit discouraged atm since 20th percentile was 540 last yr and will probably increase again + i have about a week left before I sit it

Tough to say since it changes a bit depending on the cohort for that year. I reckon just aim for as high as you can rather than the threshold.

hello i'd really appreciate advice on which 8th paper to pick up!!

there's no plussage for STAT115 this year, and if anyone who has previously done this paper could advise me on how difficult this would make things, please let me know. i also haven't done stats since like year 10 ... but i'm guessing it won't be too hard.
i'm also considering MAOR110 which i think would be more interesting, but i've seen a lot of people say that it's difficult to get 100% for it without further explanation (i guess it's just hard?), so if anyone has knowledge on this paper as well, it would be helpful! thanks :)

Anybody got study tips for the sem 2 papers, heard poph and bioc are pretty hard
Hubs192: Carrying on from HUBS191 - but I would say a little bit more detailed, not hard, but more content. Always go back to the big picture concepts, because it's easy to get sucked into the little details, especially with flashcards, and lose the overall idea. I think the best way I found to do this, was blurting. I would get a paper or a document and write down everything I could remember about a particular topic, trying link in all the different lectures - this also improves your essay ability. Despite this though, they do love to test you on smaller random facts, so definitely spam your Anki too. But if your approach for HUBS191 worked well, then carry on doing you, as it is the same sort of idea.

Bioc192: I did personally think this was the hardest paper in hsfy, but it was also my favorite. The only reason why I believe its harder, is because I there is more emphasis on understanding, rather than memorization, and because HSFY revolves quite heavily on rote learning, it can be challenging to get out of that mindset. They provide you with lots of resources in the exam, so they don't expect you to remember the big metabolic maps, but rather explain what is happening, and what may go wrong. It isn't common for them to assess really intricate details. I personally didn't find it enough to just plop everything from the lectures onto Anki, but rather, really listen to what the lecturer was saying - sometimes I would listen to lectures 5 times to ensure I really got it. The last thing, and probably the most important is to go to Nicole's weekly tutorials, or watch them online. They are phenomenal - she clarifies everything from the lectures and sometimes tells you exactly what will be examined in a particular topic. Also, ignore the textbook completely, and use the one that Nicole has written up on blackboard - it's super super helpful - I curated most of my notes from that booklet.

Poph192: It's quite a weird paper. The content is not that hard, especially in comparison to bioc, phys, chem etc. it's just difficult to get high grades because no one knows what they're actually looking for. It's split into two topics - humanities and epidemiology. The humanities aspect is interesting, but also overwhelming. Unfortunately you need the readings for the essay and the final exam. For the essay, I looked at the whole readings, but for the final exam, I only looked at the summaries that the lecturers make. If you really want to be prepared for final exam, you do need to know all the little details in the lectures - lecturers will tell you that you don't, but that's a lie haha. Sometimes, there are q's that aren't even covered at all in the lectures, so idek what to do then. The essay you have to write, sometimes freaks people out but I didn't it to be that bad so if you want advice on the essay, lemme know :)
Epi is pretty straightforward. There are compulsory poph tutorials which have worksheets that are very similar, almost identical to what you get in the final exam - make the most of them.

I don't think sem 2 is significantly harder than sem 1. It's possibly that people get a little burnt out, and just sick of hsfy though haha. Pace yourself, keep up with work and picture the finish line! Also be nice to each other because everyone is struggling!

hello i'd really appreciate advice on which 8th paper to pick up!!

there's no plussage for STAT115 this year, and if anyone who has previously done this paper could advise me on how difficult this would make things, please let me know. i also haven't done stats since like year 10 ... but i'm guessing it won't be too hard.
i'm also considering MAOR110 which i think would be more interesting, but i've seen a lot of people say that it's difficult to get 100% for it without further explanation (i guess it's just hard?), so if anyone has knowledge on this paper as well, it would be helpful! thanks :)

We also didn't have plussage for stats, but I didn't find that to have a significant effect. Not having plussage just means you study for the quizzes, which means less work at the end of the year + the quizzes are such a small amount of the overall paper, that if you do mess up on them (which I did several times), it barely makes a dent. I also didn't take stats in high school, and still managed to do well, so I do think it's a good choice.
In terms of Maor110, which I think is the language paper, I don't know too much about, but if you enjoy learning languages, and find it pretty easy then go for it! Also if you grew up in NZ, you'll probably already have come across a lot of the vocab covered. Everyone who I've talked to, taking this paper has said it's pretty simple and the only challenging part being is getting your pronunciation perfect, as there are some strict examiners.

Hubs192: Carrying on from HUBS191 - but I would say a little bit more detailed, not hard, but more content. Always go back to the big picture concepts, because it's easy to get sucked into the little details, especially with flashcards, and lose the overall idea. I think the best way I found to do this, was blurting. I would get a paper or a document and write down everything I could remember about a particular topic, trying link in all the different lectures - this also improves your essay ability. Despite this though, they do love to test you on smaller random facts, so definitely spam your Anki too. But if your approach for HUBS191 worked well, then carry on doing you, as it is the same sort of idea.

Bioc192: I did personally think this was the hardest paper in hsfy, but it was also my favorite. The only reason why I believe its harder, is because I there is more emphasis on understanding, rather than memorization, and because HSFY revolves quite heavily on rote learning, it can be challenging to get out of that mindset. They provide you with lots of resources in the exam, so they don't expect you to remember the big metabolic maps, but rather explain what is happening, and what may go wrong. It isn't common for them to assess really intricate details. I personally didn't find it enough to just plop everything from the lectures onto Anki, but rather, really listen to what the lecturer was saying - sometimes I would listen to lectures 5 times to ensure I really got it. The last thing, and probably the most important is to go to Nicole's weekly tutorials, or watch them online. They are phenomenal - she clarifies everything from the lectures and sometimes tells you exactly what will be examined in a particular topic. Also, ignore the textbook completely, and use the one that Nicole has written up on blackboard - it's super super helpful - I curated most of my notes from that booklet.

Poph192: It's quite a weird paper. The content is not that hard, especially in comparison to bioc, phys, chem etc. it's just difficult to get high grades because no one knows what they're actually looking for. It's split into two topics - humanities and epidemiology. The humanities aspect is interesting, but also overwhelming. Unfortunately you need the readings for the essay and the final exam. For the essay, I looked at the whole readings, but for the final exam, I only looked at the summaries that the lecturers make. If you really want to be prepared for final exam, you do need to know all the little details in the lectures - lecturers will tell you that you don't, but that's a lie haha. Sometimes, there are q's that aren't even covered at all in the lectures, so idek what to do then. The essay you have to write, sometimes freaks people out but I didn't it to be that bad so if you want advice on the essay, lemme know :)
Epi is pretty straightforward. There are compulsory poph tutorials which have worksheets that are very similar, almost identical to what you get in the final exam - make the most of them.

I don't think sem 2 is significantly harder than sem 1. It's possibly that people get a little burnt out, and just sick of hsfy though haha. Pace yourself, keep up with work and picture the finish line! Also be nice to each other because everyone is struggling!

We also didn't have plussage for stats, but I didn't find that to have a significant effect. Not having plussage just means you study for the quizzes, which means less work at the end of the year + the quizzes are such a small amount of the overall paper, that if you do mess up on them (which I did several times), it barely makes a dent. I also didn't take stats in high school, and still managed to do well, so I do think it's a good choice.
In terms of Maor110, which I think is the language paper, I don't know too much about, but if you enjoy learning languages, and find it pretty easy then go for it! Also if you grew up in NZ, you'll probably already have come across a lot of the vocab covered. Everyone who I've talked to, taking this paper has said it's pretty simple and the only challenging part being is getting your pronunciation perfect, as there are some strict examiners.
tysm!!

This was so helpful, thank you!

This was incredibly helpful. Thanks a lot!

Back