Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UPDATED Dentistry Schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey A.stan,

Just your GPA provided that it has been at least a full time year of study (with your UMAT score)! :)

thrway7

Lurker
Hmm.. my ATAR is somewhere between 94-96, but my GPA is 7.
I think that means I'll be eligible for UQ and Griffith (with a better UMAT lol #nextyear), but what about La Trobe and Adelaide?

Will La Trobe/Adelaide use my GPA or will they reject me based on ATAR?

For Adelaide, your ATAR is above the threshold but if you don't have a UMAT high enough for UQ, you probably won't for Adelaide either (at least for first round interviews).

Hullo, judging by the quoted posts, does that mean that Adelaide accepts either ATAR or GPA for NSL? Or have the rules changed since last year ):

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hullo, judging by the quoted posts, does that mean that Adelaide accepts either ATAR or GPA for NSL? Or have the rules changed since last year ):
From the Adelaide 2019 admissions guide (located here: https://health.adelaide.edu.au/sites/default/files/docs/2019-dentistry-admissions-guide.pdf):
Higher Education applicants are still required to sit the UMAT and gain a competitive score to be invited to an interview. The University uses the applicant’s Grade Point Average in lieu of an ATAR. To meet the minimum academic threshold for the Higher Education entry pathway, you must have completed at least half a year full-time equivalent higher education study, achieving at least a credit average (a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or more). You must also meet the prerequisite subject requirements.
This would suggest they'll only look at your GPA if you have at least half a FTE year of tertiary study completed - but remember academic rank is a hurdle requirement only, and once you've received an interview your admissions chances will come down to your interview performance.

A1

Rookie Doc
but remember academic rank is a hurdle requirement only, and once you've received an interview your admissions chances will come down to your interview performance.

For Adelaide Dent this^ is not so clear cut, since the same Guide says on page 6 "Please note: The minimum ATAR to be eligible for entry to the BDS is 90 but usually a significantly higher ATAR is required due to the competitiveness of applicants".

This I believe is why they present the Interview/UMAT/Academic criteria as tiers. Let's say they interview 3-4x number of places; first tier Interview score cuts to say 2x, second tier UMAT to 1.5x, third tier ATAR/GPA to 1x. So you'd still need ATAR/GPA higher than the bottom third after the UMAT cut.

NecroTed

Hey, just to let you know, I was told by one of the graduates giving campus tours for CSU Dent that there's apparently an intake of 50 students this year (10 international, 20 rural and 20 non-rural).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
which unis for dent can non-standards apply for?
I've just moved your post to this thread only to find the table has disappeared! Hopefully DDest sees this and can bring it back for us the next time they're online!

Non-standards can apply to UQ, Adelaide, Griffith, LaTrobe, JCU and CSU.

Asterion

UQ BDSc I
Hey everyone, what sort of ATAR/GPA + UCAT will be above the threshold for UQ Dent as a NSL? Thanks!
After 1 year of FTE tertiary study, UQ exclusively uses your GPA. For an equivalent of the 99 ATAR/OP1 threshold needed, a 6.5 GPA from non-UQ universities or 5.8 GPA from UQ is required.

For UCAT, this varies every year but it should be in the high 80s or low 90s.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks to Eleue, the table has been recovered and re-uploaded on the first post of this thread :)

Please note that it was made in 2017, so the information for some schools may be out of date. I'll try and get the table updated with the current criteria over the next week.

ELLEN2002

Hey everyone, After getting degree from la trobe Dental , do the students have to work in the rural areas or certain regional areas? could they work in Sydney?

Asterion

UQ BDSc I
Hey everyone, After getting degree from la trobe Dental , do the students have to work in the rural areas or certain regional areas? could they work in Sydney?
You will be able to work wherever you want in Australia. There are no BMP dentistry places where you are obligated to work in rural areas.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
what does BMP mean? could you pls kindly explain it?

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Just a couple of corrections to the UWA DMD that make it a little more accurate:
- It's called the DMD and not DDS
- 6 years is only if you do bachelor of biomed majoring in med sci (if you do biomed but don't major in med sci its gonna be the full length 4 years)
- 36 places for the direct pathway DMD including rural quotas
- DMD direct pathway applicants need to pass the spatial awareness test (appears to be missing as a heading on the website but is still mentioned under the time requirements so idk whats up with that)
- Need to submit predicted atar for WA applicants
- Where you got the UCAT interview cutoff or the interview weighting from? I know some people who scored sub 50%ile and still got interview invites and subsequent offers (these were WA applicants), and the Interview invite weightings seems a little off - If I remember you needed to just pass a 99 on the predicted (or come close) then you'd be ranked on UCAT. I can't find any explicit mentions of this on their most recent page however.

tdnii

Just a couple of updates regarding UQ BDS:

UQ has a five years rule regarding GPA calculation.
Students' entire tertiary study and most recent 5 years period will be calculated to create two ranks and the best of these ranks will be used for admission.
For prior tertiary study, entry ranks are assigned on the basis of a cumulative grade point average (GPA) achieved over the entire period of tertiary study, however, UQ’s Admission Rules also permit results obtained more than 5 years before the program commencement to be disregarded from the calculation of the entry rank. This rule can only be applied if at least one full-time year of tertiary study is completed within the recent 5 years.
In your situation, this means that one rank will be calculated based on all your tertiary study and another rank will be calculated using only the studies from the recent 5 year period (for 2021 admissions, this means all study from 2016-2020) and the best of these ranks will be used.
or
If you complete one full-time year of bachelor level study at UQ after all tertiary study at other institutions, you will derive two entry ranks: one based on your cumulative GPA from your entire tertiary history and another based only on your UQ results. Whichever rank benefits your application the most will be used.
You will need a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.8 from your year of UQ studies to achieve an entry rank of 99.

The minimum selection threshold for 2020 UQ BDS is 99 which is equivalent to a GPA of 5.8+ from UQ or GPA of 6.5+ from other institutes.

I have attached the tertiary studies selection ranks and an email from UQ regarding GPA calculation.

tertiary UQ.png

Attachments

• tertiary-studies-selection-rank-info-sheet.pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: