Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UPDATED Dentistry Schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

DDest

UAdel BDS III
UPDATED (June, 2020). Dentistry Entry pathways table created by Dreamer and Cal. Thank you to both of them for their hard work and dedication to the cause! From LMG!

Dent Pathways.png
** note: prices quoted are for 2020 entry and are typically indexed to increase slightly each year. While these prices are a good guide, it's also goo to check individual university webpages for updated information for your year of hopeful entry.

Below table now outdated but remains for reference.

Undergrad Dent_MSO.JPG
**Note: CSU doesn't Require an English Prerequisite, just a typo Cal fix please from Cal

Useful Links:
UQ 2018 Entry Options (for GPA conversion to OP/ATAR):

Last edited by a moderator:

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
This is brilliant! Thanks DDest :).

Although, I'm not sure myself but, I'm not sure if the VTAC personal statement is required? I think it's used only if you need to divulge any more extra information to help you with your application. I guess, in the sense of increasing your chance, it's essential?

(Not too sure!).

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Stickied!

Edited: and added to my signature as a link

Last edited:

DDest

UAdel BDS III
This is brilliant! Thanks DDest :).

Although, I'm not sure myself but, I'm not sure if the VTAC personal statement is required? I think it's used only if you need to divulge any more extra information to help you with your application. I guess, in the sense of increasing your chance, it's essential?

(Not too sure!).

For NSL (Non school leavers), it is necessary for them to submit one. For SL, this is optional.

From the LaTrobe Dentistry page:
"Non-Year 12 applicants must complete and submit a VTAC Personal Statement online for other information to be considered during the selection process e.g. details on work experience or reasons for applying."

Source: Dentistry Degrees & Courses | La Trobe University

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Ah ok,
I read that to mean that if other information needs to be considered, then non-standards must complete the VTAC Personal Statement. I've sent them an email to make sure, and I'll report back :).

kjz

Given that A1's informative post "2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards", I thought I would make one regarding the dental schools selection criteria.

Hope this helps any prospective dental students with the dental school requirements.

348ip2t.png

Excellent summary! Just have a bit supplement to your table:

La Trobe: NSL: possible interview, SL: N/A
UMelb: ATAR 99.90+ guaranteed entry with Chancellor's Scholarship; UMAT: N/A, Interview: N/A; Place Offer: must pass first attempt in all core subjects during the 3-year B Biomed or BSc, satisfy the prerequisites (i.e. second year anatomy, physiology and biochemistry); 4-year DDS with csp
UMelb: ATAR 99-99.85 guaranteed entry; UMAT: N/A, Interview: N/A; Place Offer: must pass first attempt in all core subjects during the 3-year B Biomed or BSc with at least WAM 75%, satisfy the prerequisites (i.e. second year anatomy, physiology and biochemistry); 4-year DDS with FFP

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Hmm.. my ATAR is somewhere between 94-96, but my GPA is 7.
I think that means I'll be eligible for UQ and Griffith (with a better UMAT lol #nextyear), but what about La Trobe and Adelaide?

Will La Trobe/Adelaide use my GPA or will they reject me based on ATAR?

Hmm.. my ATAR is somewhere between 94-96, but my GPA is 7.
I think that means I'll be eligible for UQ and Griffith (with a better UMAT lol #nextyear), but what about La Trobe and Adelaide?

Will La Trobe/Adelaide use my GPA or will they reject me based on ATAR?

For Adelaide, your ATAR is above the threshold but if you don't have a UMAT high enough for UQ, you probably won't for Adelaide either (at least for first round interviews).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
licher, please see the above table. I'm going to delete your thread.

NSL in the above refers to "non school leavers".

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
Hullo!

Would an ATAR of 94/95 be competitive for entry to UniAdelaide Dentistry (or La Trobe)?

Atar of 94/95 would be enough to get you an interview in theory, but definitely you'd be looking at 98+ to be actually competitive, if you don't come from a disadvantaged background.

A1

Rookie Doc
3. Meet the over 90+ threshold, I don't even know if it really plays into getting you a place very much tbh

UAdel Dent Guide says selection is based on Interview 1st tier, UMAT 2nd tier, ATAR 3rd tier. But it also says ATAR much higher than 90 is usually required due to competitiveness.

For both these statements to be true it means although Interview is the 1st tier it's NOT a straight cut to the number of places being offered (otherwise a high ATAR wouldn't be needed). It's more like the bottom third of interview scores get rejected first regardless of their UMAT/ATAR, then a similar 2nd tier cut based on UMAT score, then final selection based on ATAR. In other words ATAR does play an important role despite being 3rd tier.

A.stan

Hey Guys,
I'm a NSL looking to jump over to UQ Dent. Do they just look at your GPA + UMAT, or do they look at your previous ATAR/Rank/OP and combine that with your GPA?

Yours truly,
An over paranoid mess