Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UPDATED Dentistry Schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

sanchana

UPDATED (June, 2020). Dentistry Entry pathways table created by Dreamer and Cal. Thank you to both of them for their hard work and dedication to the cause! From LMG!

View attachment 3415
** note: prices quoted are for 2020 entry and are typically indexed to increase slightly each year. While these prices are a good guide, it's also goo to check individual university webpages for updated information for your year of hopeful entry.

Below table now outdated but remains for reference.

View attachment 2861

hi! I was just wondering if this is also applicable to international students?

Cal

vibe
As far as I know, I don't think so? many of the schools keep their international studen cut-offs and requirements quite hidden. But Generally they will require either the ICAT or MCAT I think? Not too sure tho, but I can say that these are not accurate for International students for 90% of cases at least.

VJC

UPDATED (June, 2020). Dentistry Entry pathways table created by Dreamer and Cal. Thank you to both of them for their hard work and dedication to the cause! From LMG!

View attachment 3415
** note: prices quoted are for 2020 entry and are typically indexed to increase slightly each year. While these prices are a good guide, it's also goo to check individual university webpages for updated information for your year of hopeful entry.

View attachment 2861

Useful Links:
UQ 2018 Entry Options (for GPA conversion to OP/ATAR):
Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us all.. i certainly appreciate it very much!! Its also raised a bit of hope as i had narrowed my prospects to griffith being 100% ATAR focused (gpa 7 / rank 99 across a year FT study) however in the table it shows UMelb as n/a for GAMSAT/UCAT/Interview... have i interpreted this incorrectly, or is it guaranteed entry on completion of bbiomed with atar ~99 ? I have an undergrad in sport sci with not so good rank ~86 and am currently working towards 80CP in bbiomed with rank 99 gpa7. Can someone help clarify if there are more pathways w/o gamsat/ucat required (other than jcu)? Thanks so much in advance!!

tdnii

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us all.. i certainly appreciate it very much!! Its also raised a bit of hope as i had narrowed my prospects to griffith being 100% ATAR focused (gpa 7 / rank 99 across a year FT study) however in the table it shows UMelb as n/a for GAMSAT/UCAT/Interview... have i interpreted this incorrectly, or is it guaranteed entry on completion of bbiomed with atar ~99 ? I have an undergrad in sport sci with not so good rank ~86 and am currently working towards 80CP in bbiomed with rank 99 gpa7. Can someone help clarify if there are more pathways w/o gamsat/ucat required (other than jcu)? Thanks so much in advance!!
With an undergrad degree, I think you can only apply for Unimelb's Postgrad entry dental program which is based on your GPA and GAMSAT for interview.

Reactions: VJC

Unluckydude

Unimelb has four pathways:

1) If you get 99.00+ ATAR and completes an undergraduate degree at Unimelb with a WAM of 75+, you're guaranteed a full-fee place. $77,152/year ($332,535 in total)

2) If you get 99.85+ ATAR, you can study Bachelor of Biomedicine/Doctor of Dental Surgery or Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Dental Surgery. It guarantees a CSP if you have a WAM of 80 or higher. (about $12000 a year)

3) If you get 99.90 + (Melbourne Chancellor's Scholars), you're guaranteed a place in dentistry with some scholarship payments.

4) There is also the traditional pathway which requires good GPA and GAMSAT. The cut-off for first round CSP places is around 6.5+GPA and 70+GAMSAT. The entrance scores are quite high because there are only 35 CSP places and no interview is required for dentistry at Unimelb.

S

Sokka

View attachment 3415

View attachment 2861

Useful Links:
UQ 2018 Entry Options (for GPA conversion to OP/ATAR):
Since the table includes the uni reputation I’m inclined to believe that for dent the uni you go to has an impact on your employment. Is this right? I’m not too sure because this isn’t the case for med.

Unluckydude

Since the table includes the uni reputation I’m inclined to believe that for dent the uni you go to has an impact on your employment. Is this right? I’m not too sure because this isn’t the case for med.
No, it has no impact on your employment. However, it may affect your chance of getting into a speciality because most specialities are taught by the prestigious unis and you're more likely to make connections with people who are in charge of those speciality programs if you study there.

Last edited:
S

Sokka

No, it has no impacts on your employment. However, it may affect your chance of getting into a speciality because most specialities are taught by the prestigious unis and you're more likely to make connections with people who are in charge of those speciality programs if you study there.
Is this the same for med? Will attending a “less reputable” uni affect ones chance of getting into a specialty?
(Mods please move this to the appropriate thread- sorry idk how to reply to this post in a different thread)

Cal

vibe
Is this the same for med? Will attending a “less reputable” uni affect ones chance of getting into a specialty?
(Mods please move this to the appropriate thread- sorry idk how to reply to this post in a different thread)
Nah, I was part of the group who did it, take the vibe section as informally as possible. When I was referring to reputation, I was more referring to the whole uni, not the dent. In general all dent programs are similar, differences shouldn't be reputation more location, cost, and maybe program style. For med, it is different because the specialties are done by the college not the uni, so it has absolutely no impact, what does tho is your performance, research and higher degrees such as PhD etc.

S

Sokka

Nah, I was part of the group who did it, take the vibe section as informally as possible. When I was referring to reputation, I was more referring to the whole uni, not the dent. In general all dent programs are similar, differences shouldn't be reputation more location, cost, and maybe program style. For med, it is different because the specialties are done by the college not the uni, so it has absolutely no impact, what does tho is your performance, research and higher degrees such as PhD etc.
Thanks for clearing this up for me

Reactions: Cal

mammamia

Hi, I'm curious as to where the GPA of 6.5+ for UQ is from? From looking at their website, I can only see an OP/ATAR requirement. Just wanting to make sure that this is competitive enough :)

Cal

vibe

hotdog88

Hi im applying for dent through non standard entry, does that mean I can use my atar if ive completed more than a years study in uni right now? My gpas not great, but my atar was 98.65 so id prefer to use that. Am i able to use this in my application process or will it not be accepted? Also am i looking at accepted places for CSU correctly? 21 seems very low. (Content removed as per current forum rules - please use dedicated thread when it opens to ask this part of your question: from LMG). Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Universities will look at your GPA for non standard entry if you’ve studied at University for more than a FTE year (8 courses if you go to a semester Uni not a trimester)

Domestic Dentistry courses are generally limited across the country so 21 sounds about right (iirc Adelaide only does about 30 domestic, UQ maybe 40 but someone else can fact check me)

We will be talking about chances on the UCAT results discussion when the official percentile calculator is released so just wait a bit

hotdog88

Thats what I thought until I called up CSU and they said they would use whatever is higher. So im a bit confused. is it a set rule that unis must use your most recent qualification or does it vary between them?

Cal

vibe
Universities will look at your GPA for non standard entry if you’ve studied at University for more than a FTE year (8 courses if you go to a semester Uni not a trimester)

Domestic Dentistry courses are generally limited across the country so 21 sounds about right (iirc Adelaide only does about 30 domestic, UQ maybe 40 but someone else can fact check me)

We will be talking about chances on the UCAT results discussion when the official percentile calculator is released so just wait a bit
Adelaide is 38 and uq was 34 last year, I think it is about 50 spots for CSU, and there is like 80 for both JCU and Griffith. I don't know about the rest though.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thats what I thought until I called up CSU and they said they would use whatever is higher. So im a bit confused. is it a set rule that unis must use your most recent qualification or does it vary between them?

Some Med unis use whichever is higher of ATAR and GPA (or just straight up ATAR) up until you reach a certain point with regard to tertiary study (some it is 1FTE year, for another it's until you've completed the degree). CSU Dent could do something similar, what was their exact reply to you?

mammamia

Does the 8 courses for a year of full time study not correspond to trimester universities? I was under the impression I only had to do 2 courses this term :(

Cal

vibe
Does the 8 courses for a year of full time study not correspond to trimester universities? I was under the impression I only had to do 2 courses this term :(
How many units do per semester on a normal full time load? because trimesters usually have shorter courses worth "less", so wouldn't you do 3 a semester? probably best to contact QTAC/The uni you are applying to to figure it out, but essentially just do the amount of units your university suggests for full time, and that should be equivalent.

mammamia

How many units do per semester on a normal full time load? because trimesters usually have shorter courses worth "less", so wouldn't you do 3 a semester? probably best to contact QTAC/The uni you are applying to to figure it out, but essentially just do the amount of units your university suggests for full time, and that should be equivalent.
Alrighty, makes sense, I’ll contact them tomorrow. Our normal years worth of full time study is 8 courses, but you can take 9 (so 3 courses per term) to fast track your degree. Thanks Cal!

• Love