Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ Accommodation General Discussion

room1

I've heard that for UQ Dent, it's around a 50:50 ratio for Herston : St. Lucia in terms of classes, so which campus would be more ideal to stay around? Also any recommendations for accommodation? I'm currently thinking about Unilodge but not sure which Unilodge would be best if I did choose to stay there.

Asterion

UQ BDSc I
In terms of classes in your first year, there isn't a clear winner because in semester 1, 3/4 of the classes are at Herston and only 1 unit of study is at St Lucia and this is swapped around in semester 2 (3/4 at St Lucia). In second year, 3/4 classes are at Herston and then in third year onwards, all of the classes are at Herston.

You can refer to this for more information (all of the DENT courses are at Herston):

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at Atira at Glen Rd. and knows about their policy for bringing overnight guests. Do I need to register my guest every time I go to the front desk and does Atira check when your guest actually leaves? Also, if Atira has a policy that says you can stay for X number of nights per week, is it possible for my guest to stay for 2X nights on any of the days within the two weeks or do they adhere strictly to the literal meaning of the policy?

Thank you!

Pen

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who received an offer today!

Similar to a couple of people here, I'm also quite surprised with my BMP offer for Provisional Med, and because I'm interstate, I was wondering about how I should go about finding accommodation? There's a whole bunch of on and off-campus options, and I'm rather stuck between choosing what place would be good.
Price is sorta on my mind as well, so does anyone have any recommendations on choosing between a place that has the best compromise between services/atmosphere and price?

Thanks!

CookieBey

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who received an offer today!

Similar to a couple of people here, I'm also quite surprised with my BMP offer for Provisional Med, and because I'm interstate, I was wondering about how I should go about finding accommodation? There's a whole bunch of on and off-campus options, and I'm rather stuck between choosing what place would be good.
Price is sorta on my mind as well, so does anyone have any recommendations on choosing between a place that has the best compromise between services/atmosphere and price?

Thanks!
Seconded!
I've been looking at guaranteed accommodation and would like some more info on Women's, King's and Union. If anybody could tell me a bit more about the vibe of each collage it would be much appreciated.

Cal

Will You. Review. Mah Mixtape 😤😤
Valued Member
Seconded!
I've been looking at guaranteed accommodation and would like some more info on Women's, King's and Union. If anybody could tell me a bit more about the vibe of each collage it would be much appreciated.
Avoid kings if you can, it is super expensive, had a reputation for being crazy and is going coed for the first time this year so that could cause problems

Pen

Avoid kings if you can, it is super expensive, had a reputation for being crazy and is going coed for the first time this year so that could cause problems
Hmm would you have any suggestions for off-campus places? There might be the possibility of a friend of mine going to UQ as well, so any two-person room would also work.

Cal

Will You. Review. Mah Mixtape 😤😤
Valued Member
Hmm would you have any suggestions for off-campus places? There might be the possibility of a friend of mine going to UQ as well, so any two-person room would also work.
Search up scape. There is a scape accom place about a 10 min bus ride from uq. There is also one in the city. StudentOne is another. There are lots of good options in the city and the public transport to uq in terms of accessibility is amazing

Reactions: Pen

dotwingz

MSO's On Sight Carly Rae Jepsen Stan
What do you think about unilodge at park central? I found a large studio for a single person for $365 a week and it looks really good. Anyone got any experience with them?

CristinaYang

Monash I 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
Seconded!
I agree with Cal abt Kings. Women's has really nice fancy facilities and good happy vibes. Union on the other hand has more of a party vibe (I'm pretty sure they go hard) but union is on the cheaper side of UQ colleges. I know a bunch of great people who go to both and speak highly of them so I don't think you could go wrong with either it basically depends on what you're into! Congrats on y'alls offers btw!!

Last edited:

churm

Lurker
Does anyone have any thoughts about the other colleges on campus? I know there's information online but just wanted a second opinion

CristinaYang

Monash I 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
Does anyone have any thoughts about the other colleges on campus? I know there's information online but just wanted a second opinion
I think Emmanuel is one of the most popular colleges as they have the most fresher residents. A few of my friends are going there this year and from what I’ve heard from people who went there before, it’s pretty good (I wonder if anyone would speak badly about their colleges though). I toured Eman and the vibes were very friendly and welcoming and there were people everywhere! Also I caught a glimpse at what they were serving for lunch and it looked pretty yummy and healthy, keep in mind I’ve only seen the food once 😅. I would say Eman is physically quite big as well there’s a bit of open space so yeah I liked it.

I also toured St John’s which is where I was planning to go if I went to UQ. The John’s campus is very beautiful there’s a lot of luscious greenery. It seems like a very prestigious place and the people who go there are lovely (atleast the few dozen I’ve met). There is a strong drinking culture at John’s though and they have a bar inside the college that’s only open at certain times but is a bar nonetheless. I liked the vibes at John’s most of all and I don’t know how exactly to explain it. Perhaps it’s that it seemed quite chill and I really felt like I’d be living in a supportive community of peers. They have a squash court which I thought was cool but idk if anyone uses it. Also St John’s is on the expensive side of colleges.

Finally I’d like to point out that imo the rooms at the colleges (basically at every uni I’ve toured colleges at) look pretty much the same so we must be paying so much for everything else 😂

Hey, got accepted into UQ dent 1st year, I'm looking for a place near St Lucia or Herston. I don't mind suburbs which are close to those locations either. Anyone know any good (and preferably cheap) accommodation which is suitable for the year?
Also if anyone's looking into accommodation still like me, I'm keen for a multi-bedroom apartment share or something like that, can communicate via PM if interested.

Bella2234

Lurker
Hey, got accepted into UQ dent 1st year, I'm looking for a place near St Lucia or Herston. I don't mind suburbs which are close to those locations either. Anyone know any good (and preferably cheap) accommodation which is suitable for the year?
Also if anyone's looking into accommodation still like me, I'm keen for a multi-bedroom apartment share or something like that, can communicate via PM if interested.
You should visit UQ guaranteed accommodation: Guaranteed accommodation to see the options :)!

Tomato

UQ Dent 1st year, you spend half time at St Lucia and half time Herston. You can live either at St Lucia or Herston. But I think Toowong may be more convenient because you can take the train to Roma St and change the bus which can directly drop you at the oral health centre. You can also take the bus to St Lucia campus very easily. The bus stop is across the road from Toowong Village.

Pen

Last edited: