Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Medicine: Provisional Entry Questions and Discussion

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I heard about this from another UQ student and I am surprised that they did go against the 'contract' as someone else mentioned before in this thread. I remember reading that if something is stated in the ECP and is not changed before the actual examination, the School has no right to change it after. Looks like that failed eeek.

Mas1991

What about the indigenous part? That seems like an entierly new unit or something. I wonder what it is? Eg is it like learning demographics etc on indig health or is it about meeting indig people and learning how to talk to them without offending along cultural lines or a combo of both?

"During the course, students will examine Indigenous Health in a cultural and historic setting. The key aim is to provide students with an understanding of the practice of healthcare within diverse Indigenous Australian communities, and how issues such as culture, history, education, location, employment, family structure, and adverse events impact upon health and doctor-patient relationships."

no course profile yet but it was in the course description.

kashmuq

U mad?
"During the course, students will examine Indigenous Health in a cultural and historic setting. The key aim is to provide students with an understanding of the practice of healthcare within diverse Indigenous Australian communities, and how issues such as culture, history, education, location, employment, family structure, and adverse events impact upon health and doctor-patient relationships."

no course profile yet but it was in the course description.

Yeah wonder when we'll get the offer letter with hospital + other info. Also when ECPs will come out, although it's not like we can rely give them much credit anymore.

Mas1991

Yeah wonder when we'll get the offer letter with hospital + other info. Also when ECPs will come out, although it's not like we can rely give them much credit anymore.

Haha yeah they're going to rename ECPs as 'guides' instead of concrete information. You think there will be much difference between Ipswich and St Lucia ECPs?

kashmuq

U mad?
Well pretty sure the assessment bit will be the same, there might be some differences in delivery methods + contact hours though.

HZL

Any one here who graduated from Queensland and received an ATAR score? What were your subject scores, ranking and QCS score and the corresponding ATAR? What scores/ranking would I need for ATAR 99.90 or above? Is the QCS crucial (because my grade is very slack...)?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Any one here who graduated from Queensland and received an ATAR score? What were your subject scores, ranking and QCS score and the corresponding ATAR? What scores/ranking would I need for ATAR 99.90 or above? Is the QCS crucial (because my grade is very slack...)?
There is no advantage for UQ - the threshold is OP 1, and then offers are given out to those with OP1 based on UMAT score, not based on how high that OP1 is.

Bisque

Hi, would anyone be able to explain the whole bonded medical places thing to me please? Got a BMP offer from UQ this morning :D

Nycryte

UTAS MBBS I
Regarding UQ, what are the details of maintaining a gpa of 5. Is it just that your gpa has to be 5 by the end of the degree? Or does your gpa always have to be above 5 throughout the degree? How does it work exactly?

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
Regarding UQ, what are the details of maintaining a gpa of 5. Is it just that your gpa has to be 5 by the end of the degree? Or does your gpa always have to be above 5 throughout the degree? How does it work exactly?
https://future-students.uq.edu.au/files/8806/Doctor_of_Medicine.pdf

Provisional entry students are required to complete their first degree within the minimum time specified for full-time students and achieve a grade point average (GPA) of at least 5.0/7.0 to be guaranteed progression into the MD program.

It sounds like they mean 5.0 by the end, but maybe someone else can reconfirm
But given that subjects in earlier years are often (but not always) easier than later years, getting a high GPA early on will give you some leeway

That said, GPA of 5 is basically Credit for each unit - very achievable for OP1 students :)

sn1p

WSU Alum

It'll be by the end but if you're at risk early on e.g. scraping 4s, you may have to have a meeting with the coordinator of the program in order to discuss some things. That being said if you pick a first degree (and/or electives) that you actually enjoy/are good at e.g. if you gunned maths in high school and picked a maths major for example (but ofc you don't need to do that to do well - I'd recommend in that case picking a couple of maths electives instead of committing so hard to the maths major pathway) you'll have 0 problems with hitting a 5.0. In first year, I found time for clubs and sports, while having half the weekend off study entirely (other half had some study, and some procrastination too ofc) + actual decent sleeping hours and there were no issues at all with keeping it over 5. Obviously later years will be busier and more difficult but if you can pad your GPA with a lot of 7s in year 1 you'll have a much easier time of it later on. Keep the high school discipline you used to do well and then have some fun outside of uni, and that should be a winning combo. Statistically, very few people end up dropping out or not meeting requirements.

Last edited:
Already accepted my UQ offer, when do I need to enrol by?

Class mates! :D what undergraduate course are you thinking about doing? :)

And you have to submit the program change (to whatever your undergrad degree is) by 5pm 9th Feb, and enroll in "at least one course" by 11:59pm 11th Feb :)

karenh

Class mates! :D what undergraduate course are you thinking about doing? :)

And you have to submit the program change (to whatever your undergrad degree is) by 5pm 9th Feb, and enroll in "at least one course" by 11:59pm 11th Feb :)

Hi medengconfused :D

Not too sure yet tbh, I've just been looking at all the options :p How about you?

Got it, thanks so much! :D So program change is from MD to undergrad?

Last edited:
Hi medengconfused :D

Not too sure yet tbh, I've just been looking at all the options :p How about you?

Got it, thanks so much! :D So program change is from MD to undergrad?

I'm looking at the BSci in Biophysics hopefully! And if that doesn't work out, maybe a dual major in Computational/Biomedical Science or Biochem, I'm thinking (I really like physics and maths and don't want to drop it yet!

You're welcome! And yep, it is (so that they know which one you're doing/you can enrol in that). Did you get the email from UQ (I think it was addressed from Greg Ferris?)? That has a lot of good information in it to about all the courses/degrees you can do and how to do it as well.

karenh

I'm looking at the BSci in Biophysics hopefully! And if that doesn't work out, maybe a dual major in Computational/Biomedical Science or Biochem, I'm thinking (I really like physics and maths and don't want to drop it yet!

You're welcome! And yep, it is (so that they know which one you're doing/you can enrol in that). Did you get the email from UQ (I think it was addressed from Greg Ferris?)? That has a lot of good information in it to about all the courses/degrees you can do and how to do it as well.

Ooh sounds amazing! Sure did, I'll look through it later when I'm more awake :p

Is UQ your first preference in Aus? And have you sorted out accomodation yet?

Ooh sounds amazing! Sure did, I'll look through it later when I'm more awake :p

Is UQ your first preference in Aus? And have you sorted out accomodation yet?

Hahaha I'm overseas so it's late afternoon here :p

And yeah it is! I'm from SA and I did get an offer from Adelaide however I personally prefer the postgraduate route, and Adelaide has the issue with internships and what not, so UQ is a good choice I think :) (I hope!) And yeah, I'm going to St John's (one of the colleges) - I applied earlier in the year and luckily they gave me a conditional place in early December before ATARs came out! What about you?

karenh

Hahah Early morning here!

Yeah, exactly- that's a worry. Ooh that's great to hear you have accom sorted out! I haven't applied so I'll probably live in a sharehouse ☺

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180117-040804.png
    Screenshot_20180117-040804.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 11