Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Uq bdsc 2015

LLTHPH

thats outstanding !!! (yy) congratulations !!

I applied however I'm still going to La Trobe !! UQ I heard is very good :) that's why I was interested, but too far from home :(

Unicorn

Lurker
Congrats to all who have received offers! I just received mine yesterday. (interstate applicant) :) Any advice on student accommodation within walking distance of the dental school? (St Lucia campus) :)

Laine

Does anyone know what the UMAT cutoff for BDSc was for 2015? It dropped quite a lot last year.

The UQ dent faculty said they won't know the cutoff themselves for another week or so. That being said, I got an offer with a UMAT of 174 (84 percentile), and I was probably one of the very last ones to score a first round offer.

Congrats to all who have received offers! I just received mine yesterday. (interstate applicant) :) Any advice on student accommodation within walking distance of the dental school? (St Lucia campus) :)

i thought the dental school moved to herston? at least that's what it kinda said in the offer letter (herston campus etc) :ss

Unicorn

Lurker
i thought the dental school moved to herston? at least that's what it kinda said in the offer letter (herston campus etc) :ss

The course enrolment shows that some of the subjects will be held in the St Lucia campus and some at the Herston campus :)

Hope to see you all very soon! :)

angelala

Lurker
Hi everyone!!
I got accepted into Dental Sci at UQ for 2015 ^_^
I'm an interstate applicant and was wondering about accommodation. Are there any colleges which don't provide 3 meals a day and are relatively less expensive than the rest? I've been looking and they cost so much.......
Also, I can't make the orientation day thing on the 23rd of February. Will I be missing out on heaps?! Just don't want to get off to a bad start :((
ty in advance :D

Hey everyone! Congratulations on getting in :)
[MENTION=21451]Unicorn[/MENTION] The new dental school will be in Herston which is about 5-10 from St Lucia by bus i think. In first year your classes are split between St Lucia and dent school so you can pick which one you want to live closer to, or you could live somewhere in the middle. I used to live in St Lucia about 5-10 min walk to all of my St Lucia classes. It was really convenient because I could wake up later for those 8ams, but groceries were a huge pain because the closest shop was IGA and their stuff was always really expensive. I hear Toowong is also pretty good.

[MENTION=21495]angelala[/MENTION] Hey if you want a college that doesn't provide food then why do you want to live at college? The only reason I'd go would be for the ease of not having to cook, but even then it's a huge ripoff because almost all the food is average at best. One time I was served a baby potato that was raw in the centre. If you want it for the convenience of location there are plenty of share houses around St Lucia that will be even closer to your classes than some of the colleges. There are other 'colleges' that aren't within walking distance to UQ and they might be cheaper, I don't know much about those. There's also student accommodation like UniLodge and Urbanest which is like a bunch of apartments/studios that are just for students but they go for about $300 a week.
You won't fall behind if you miss orientation day, but you might get lost a bit at first when you start proper classes :p Also orientation day is when people are starting to get to know each other so everyone is super keen to start conversations. But that should last through all of first semester so you don't need to worry :)

angelala

Lurker
[MENTION=16362]CouchPotato[/MENTION]

Omg thanks for the super fast reply!!
But yeah what you've said is very true! I was just hoping I could meet more students in the same situation as me by going to a college of some sort?!
I've been looking at Urbanest and it looks really good! Shall browse some more :p I'm wary of share-houses because neither my parents and I are able to travel to Brisbane to look at the accommodation properly before O-week..
Okay thats still alright haha. Hopefully I shall have no trouble getting to know other dent kids :) Is it true there are only 50 domestic students for dent??
Also I was hoping to bring my car up to Brisbane. Do you know if its easy to get around/park in both campuses, and also driving between St Lucia and Herston?
Thanks again for your help haha :)

Laine

I'll be giving up my place in the BDSc (Hons) in favour of my med offer at UNSW. Good luck with your dental endeavours everyone.

skent

Lurker
Hey guys! I got an offer for BDSc too! I'm an interstater currently living in NSW but moving to Brisbane in a few weeks. Hope to see everyone soon :)

[MENTION=21498]skent[/MENTION]

hi im in hope of getting into UQ dent and my umat was 172, so it looks like I've just missed out. Did you only recently get the offer (after main round) ? Or did you get it through QTAC on the 15th? Because when I rang, they said the cut off was 174

skent

Lurker
Hey Artherisph, I got my offer in the main round on the 15th via QTAC. Maybe i just snuck in lol. With your score it looks like a february round offer is likely. Stay hopeful and goodluck :)

@angelala
I hear Urbanest is really nice but it's definitely overpriced for what it is. Sharehouses are a bit risky but I've lived in 2 so far without seeing them beforehand and both times they turned out okay.
I haven't seen the Herston campus yet. In St Lucia it depends on the time of day, and I think it's around $4 per day at most of the carparks. Sometimes if you're lucky people who are leaving will give you their tickets. The drive between St Lucia and Herston should be very short (I hear 5-10 minutes) but I'm not sure myself, I haven't made the trip yet.
And yeah 50 sounds about right. But keep in mind in first year you share a lot of classes with Oral Health students.

Lurker123

Lurker
hey guys, congrats all who received offers! :)
I am planning to apply this year and I want to know how much work experience did you guys do for your dentistry application? or is work experience not that important? also what type of work experience did you guys do? and where did you do work experience, in hospitals or clinics?

Thanks alot guys!! and congrats again! (yy)

Hi Lurker,

For UQ dent, there is no application form that needs to be submitted directly to the uni. You only need to apply through QTAC. There is also no interview, so any work experience will not really help you get into the course, it is based on umat and atar/op. My cousin got in this year with an op3/97.65 atar and 86 umat. However for other unis, such as JCU and Adelaide, there are either application forms or an interview, and so your work experience will be valuable here. I believe Griffith also does not have an application nor interview.

Hope that answers your question :) and goodluck this year !

angelala

Lurker
Hi guys,

Has anyone looked at their timetable online? I have heaps of different classes in the same time slots and its very confusing...

henri

Lurker
Has anyone received any correspondence from the faculty e.g. about orientation? I'm worried I haven't enrolled properly.