UQ BSc questions for the provisional MD entry

Discussion in 'University of Queensland' started by Puzzle_piece, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Puzzle_piece

Puzzle_piece New Member

Hello everybody
    I've already accepted the provisional entry offer to UQ, but I have a few questions in regards to the BSc/undergrad stuff:

- How fun/interesting is ASPinS? I heard that it had no exams and was very boring (not because there were no exams), but the UQ websites seems to pump up this program alot and make it seem really really interesting. I'm not quite sure if this is some advertising tactic but I wish to personally hear from the students who are/were enrolled in this program.

- How many people actually followed the recommended pre-med study plan (link: http://www.som.uq.edu.au/media/40517..._05Mar2014.pdf ) course by course (I'm planning to do the Biomed major)? Are there any courses (apart from the ones in red) that should be done, almost bordering pre-requisite?

- Do many of the students commencing MD know each other? Or is it like the first day of uni/high school/primary all over again?

- How is the course SCIE1000? Out of all the courses on the recommended premed study plan, that one seemed to be the least uh interesting (this is purely my personal opinion) and I wish to make my time at UQ as enjoyable as possible (incl. the study time). But if the exams for that course are like a walk in the park then who am I to complain since it'll count towards keeping that GPA :D

Thank you for your help :)

2. polarbeer

polarbeer New Member

I have nothing to add but would also be interested in hearing what people think about this. Also does anyone know anything about the phys1171 unit? Many of my mates are switching it out to do psyc1030 as it looks like phys1171 is literally just yr 12 physics. It is recommended on the study plan guide, however there are no follow up physics units, any useful alternative courses would be of great help.

3. sn1p

sn1p WSU MBBS III

YO Puzzle_piece and polarbeer, congrats on your offers!
    To make somewhat of an attempt to answer all your questions as someone who just finished first year:

- I didn't sign up for ASPinS myself but essentially I've heard exactly the same thing as you from those already enrolled in it (and dropped out lol). That's not to say that it should discourage you or anything though, since it can give you a taste of what research is like (I think) and be a sort of 'extra challenge'!

- The recommended study plan is really the most important during second year with their anatomy/physiology blah blah blah. First year just meet prerequisites and pick electives that are easy or that you're interested in e.g. I ditched SCIE1000 and CHEM1200 for MATH1051 and MATH1052.

- You'll meet a whole bunch of pre-meds, which constitutes about half of the final MD cohort, so when you do end up starting the MD you'll know a fair few people. Even if you don't it's always nice to go out and make some friends :)

- Again, didn't take it but I've heard two very different opinions. There's a bit of programming, a bit of maths/logic-y stuff and some other stuff I can't remember, and you either hate it or love it (everyone on UQReview hates it, one of the guys going into third year loves it, some people are like 'meh'). If you want easy stuff, PHYS1171 if you can grasp (kinda basic for the most part) physics, MATH1051/1052 if you gunned 3U/4U maths in NSW or equivalent in other states, although I found the heavy integration done in NSW made the hardest question in the sem 2 2015 MATH1052 final (which was much, much harder than all the past papers) pretty easy, while everyone else seemed to be completely rekt after walking out the exam hall. PHYS1171 starts off really really basic, with Newton's laws, and goes through a bunch of topics somewhat related to real life biological stuff (they call it 'the physical basis of biological systems' but really the connection doesn't go THAT deep, I mean the questions are all in some biological context but for example for torque they just relate it to your biceps contracting to keep your forearms lifted up, like come on...). Here's the link (http://teaching.smp.uq.edu.au/fiveminutephysics/#course=phys1171) for all the pre-reading you'll need to do in one semester, so you can kinda have a sneak peek to see if you'll like it. I just did it because I heard it was a free 7 (which is a legit statement if you can grasp mostly basic physics, like I said before).

ezza97 likes this.