Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ Chat 2012 (Questions should be asked in other threads)

Mas1991

have you enjoyed it? would you recommend it to others?

The first couple of years are very intersting, the workload throughout is very minimal and nearly all the exams are a breeze. There are a couple of downsides.
1. Psychology is quite deceptive in that there is so much stats. Out of the 14 subjects i did for my major, 5 were some form of statistics. So if you don't mind that then go for it, it helps you understand research articles very well though.
2. Most of the course is just purely theory, with research articles attempting to back this theory up. But as the concepts are so abstract its hard to say something for sure. e.g. how would you measure hatred?
3. Unless you make an effort you're not going to be that socially active with the other twosies. thankfully i met a huge bunch in first sem due to various events being organised but if your cohort are a bunch of social retards then you're going to have to make friends with all the hippie super liberal psyc students, unless your cool with that.

But yeah do it, and always troll the overwhelming majority of the cohort that are biomeds by constantly stating how much free time you have and how easy you got it.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
no idea, i actually just emailed my preference. I'm guessing we'll get an email a week before orientation.

Do you know when [MENTION=834]dra[/MENTION] got his?

kashmuq

U mad?
PAH or RBWH for 1st year clinical and why?

PAH. Because it makes no difference except PAH has a starbucks and is easier to get to.

I was expecting our placements to be in the enrollment letter. Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.

Mas1991

Don't forget that for about half of you it won't matter in the slightest, as you'll be having clinical coaching at St Lucia and won't be going to the hospital at all anyway.

wait what the hell! half of us won't be going to a hospital? ridiculous.

kashmuq

U mad?
The first couple of years are very intersting

There are only 2 years of it? So all of it is interesting? :S

But yeah do it, and always troll the overwhelming majority of the cohort that are biomeds by constantly stating how much free time you have and how easy you got it.

lol this is a surefire way to make yourself a social outcast. Don't alienate the majority of twosies by saying how psyc is 'better' as a) you'll end up being resented by most premeds (like someone I know) and b) they'll probs troll you in med.

Don't forget that for about half of you it won't matter in the slightest, as you'll be having clinical coaching at St Lucia and won't be going to the hospital at all anyway.

I was a aware that some people had tutors in St. Lucia, but I never knew it was half...

Last edited:

Mas1991

There are only 2 years of it? So all of it is interesting? :S

lol this is a surefire way to make yourself a social outcast. Don't alienate the majority of twosies by saying how psyc is 'better' as a) you'll end up being resented by most premeds (like someone I know) and b) they'll probs troll you in med.

Sorry i meant the 1st and 2nd year subjects, not first 2 years. The 3rd year subjects are quite annoying. as for the trolling, obviously don't over do it like that one individual we know, and don't troll people you hardly know as well. But certainly do it now and then if you get in and pick psyc.

kizza_boy

wait what the hell! half of us won't be going to a hospital? ridiculous.

To be honest, I wish I had clinical coaching at St Lucia in first year. Going to the hospital every week was sooo pointless. All you do is go to a tute room anyway. Everyone will have maybe 2 or 3 clinical visits throughout the year, where you'll see patients and get to examine them, but apart from that you'll see not a glimpse of a patient until elective at the end of the year, no matter whether you have clinical coaching at St Lucia or the PAH or RBWH.

kashmuq

U mad?
To be honest, I wish I had clinical coaching at St Lucia in first year. Going to the hospital every week was sooo pointless. All you do is go to a tute room anyway. Everyone will have maybe 2 or 3 clinical visits throughout the year, where you'll see patients and get to examine them, but apart from that you'll see not a glimpse of a patient until elective at the end of the year, no matter whether you have clinical coaching at St Lucia or the PAH or RBWH.

But the Starbucks :O

kizza_boy

https://www.courses.uq.edu.au/student_section_loader.php?section=1&profileId=48155

Course profile is up for MEDI1021 (clinical skills)

Some interesting assessment in there (particularly the video recording).

Hmm that assessment for clinical skills is pretty much identical to how it's been in the past. The only difference is now it is it's own course, for some reason (???). The Practical Skills Workshops are the best. The guy who runs them is loved by everyone.

kashmuq

U mad?
Hmm that assessment for clinical skills is pretty much identical to how it's been in the past. The only difference is now it is it's own course, for some reason (???). The Practical Skills Workshops are the best. The guy who runs them is loved by everyone.

Yeah MEDI1000 is now MEDI1011, MEDI1021, MEDI1031 and MEDI1042 for first sem...not sure the rationale behind the change. So the video recording thing was always present? I hear there's one in 2nd year as well but that's with a standardised patient?

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff

How often do people fail this thing. The assessment looks alright from here.

From what I hear, very few people fail clinical skills. The failure rate is higher for written exams.

Clinical examinations
The clinical examinations of different systems (cardio, respiratory, gastro, etc) will be taught very well and what you need to do is practise these at home or with a fellow student until you know them off by heart. The assessment of these clinical exams consists of a doctor observing you perform the exam on another student (not a patient or an actor), so there is no stress if you know how to do the exam. You just perform the exam and say what you are doing and what you find as you go. E.g. "no clubbing, no cyanosis", etc.

DVD recording
This may be a bit scary, but it's not hard at all. You and another student in your tutorial group take turns at role playing doctor and patient. The patient will have a sheet telling them what symptoms they are pretending to have and family history, occupation, lifestyle, etc. As the doctor, you ask the patient questions and get the information from the patient. You don't have to diagnose the patient. You will have tutorials about what questions to ask and how to ask them. You will also need to demonstrate empathy (for example if the patient mentions that a family member recently passed away, you should acknowledge this and respond appropriately).

edit: I forgot (been a while) but you do a practise one with another student first and the real one is with a standardised patient (i.e. an actor)

Procedural skills workhops
Procedural skills workshops were pass/fail for my year, and as long as you attended them you would pass, because the session consists of observing the tutor/s demonstrating the skill, and you practising it until you are competent.

Professional behaviour assessment
Attendance is important. Make sure you attend all compulsory classes (lectures weren't compulsory for us - not sure if this has changed), and let the School of Medicine and your tutor know if you are absent for anything and provide a good reason and documentation. I don't think doctor's certificates are required for 1 day absences. Don't be late to classes. Act like a professional. Participate in classes and contribute to discussions. Don't fight with other students or have arguments about little things (e.g. arguing about what focus questions to do and who will do them). Complete all assessment on time or apply for an extension well before the due date if you need one. Don't say things that may offend other students. In class, when discussing certain topics (death, abortion, obesity, etc) don't say controversial things that may offend others.

Things may change for your year though.

Last edited: