Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ Colleges

ellejay

Hi Guys :)

Has anyone gone to St John's before? If so, is it a nice place to stay at, and also what sort of questions do they ask in their interview as I have one in 2 weeks? :)

mighty

ctu_max

If it is something like BSc/MBBS that you are looking at doing then St. Johns is a good option. I don't go to that college personally but I have quite a few friends who do. From as far as I can tell St. Johns and Emmanuel have the largest cohort of premed students which is good for support when it comes to uni work. I can't speak to the interview but the college on a whole is one that recognises and rewards excellence. Colleges want to know that you will be an asset to them, not just someone living in their halls and St. Johns is fairly competitive so it would be good to show that you can somehow help them win. Success and a willingness to participate and compete in the following areas would be great to convey in a college interview:
Sporting: Tennis, netball, soccer, AFL, swimming, athletics, cross country..........(most sports really)
Cultural: Debating, Dance (there is a college 'dancefest'), Singing and other music (Choralfest and Bandfest), and public speaking (inter-college oratory)
Academic: St. Johns rewards high achievers and takes not of your OP for admission. Showing them that you are academic now, and plan to succeed at uni would be good.
Spiritual: This one can be a bit more tricky. I think John's is anglican (check!) and letting them know you are a member of that church would be excellent. But take heed don't try to fake it, I have a friend who is a non practising anglican and he was caught out in the interview because he was unable to name his bishop/congregation or something.

The usual interview stuff like teamwork, motivation and all that jazz also applies. Good luck :)

ellejay

Yeah that is the course I want to do. Thanks for the advice :) helps a lot. Do they really care about you being anglican...because I'm not...

ctu_max

No I don't think they do. I know plenty of people that go there who are certainly not Anglican. I go to a uniting church college and I am not Christian. I think just answer truthfully. If you are asked "Are you religious?" just answer honestly.

kizza_boy

I have never heard of a college at UQ asking about religion, or taking religiosity into account for acceptance into the college ... doesn't mean it can't happen I suppose. I went to a religious college and I (and many other students) were happily atheists. St Johns is a great choice for academic types though, as is Emmanuel :)

cromwell is awesome and by far the best value proposition as the rooms are worlds ahead of the others, really modern nice colour schemes and plantation shutters. Have friends who went there, food is good too. I applied there last year but didnt end up accepting my offer at QUT and moved to GC

kizza_boy

cromwell is awesome and by far the best value proposition as the rooms are worlds ahead of the others, really modern nice colour schemes and plantation shutters. Have friends who went there, food is good too. I applied there last year but didnt end up accepting my offer at QUT and moved to GC

Unless you know the colour schemes and the quality of window-coverings at the other 9 colleges I'm not sure that's a particularly prove-able claim... I also fail to see how nice colours equates to the best value?

But I do agree, Crommie is pretty good, and they throw a mean party ;)

ellejay

I was considering cromwell, but when I went for a tour the person seemed really stuckup and snobby. Kinda spoilt it haha. Besides, you can only apply to one college and my st johns one is already in.

ctu_max

Hahaha I've only seen fresher rooms at Saint John's and yes Cromwell rooms are better than those but I can't compare to anywhere else. Don't know where you got the idea that the food is good though :p

kizza_boy

Fresher room suck everywhere I think. Mine was about the size of a closet, and made of the finest bare crumbling brick. My window didn't shut either, I ended up placing a stack of textbooks on the outside of the sill to keep it shut. Those were the days...

ctu_max

I was considering cromwell, but when I went for a tour the person seemed really stuckup and snobby. Kinda spoilt it haha. Besides, you can only apply to one college and my st johns one is already in.
Did you get the tour last year? That person could have been me............awkward. Haha.

Fresher rooms are crap at most places except for Cromwell because all the room are the same. So, I guess you can start in a crap room at another college but end up in an awesome room later on or just be in an average room the whole time at Cromwell. Much the same outcome I feel.

mighty

[MENTION=351]lauren[/MENTION] or ctu_max, how are the bathrooms and such at Cromwell/St Johns? are they fairly clean and is it roughly a 4-5share?

wow some people on here love to pick at others posts. btw i have been in the rooms of most of the colleges, emmanual are a pretty good size and my friend like the college/uni wifi sharing. had sisters and friends stay at duschesne and the rooms there were pretty horrible, my sister enjoyed it though but that was 10 years ago now, crazy thing about these colleges is some havent renovated in years but there prices still go up lol.

ellejay

[MENTION=10872]mighty[/MENTION] ... i went and saw most of the colleges, most of the bathrooms are pretty similar and all seem clean

rdalt13

Lurker
Sorry to bump this, but i have a few questions about Johns
Are you allowed to put like posters and stuff on the walls?
Also i realise that they are a very academic and religious college; does this mean that they don't party? Because well... I might get in because i have a very good op, but I do like to party... a lot. And since I'll be 18, it will be a lot more too. Will this be bad? Would they try to kick me out? :unsure: