Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Howdy!
There hasn't been too many discussions about UQ dent so I thought I'd start a thread.

It seems that the UMAT cut off has been fluctuating in the last couple of years. I recall seeing a few years ago that it was 181 at one stage but then dropped to the low 170s. Last year it was 175.

I got 178 for my UMAT this year. Does anyone know if there are any specific events which might significantly increase the cut off for this year?

Thanks!

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Yes, offers for 2019 domestic uq dent places are released tomorrow morning. I believe international students receive their offers much earlier.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Have all the offers been released or do they come out in waves?
They all get released at the same time (8.30am AEST) via QTAC. If UQ dent participates in second round offers (which I’m unsure if they do, Yamster?) then there may be more offers released in the Jan 25 and Feb 5 offer rounds.

Seano

I've called UQ Admissions and they told me that the dent umat cutoff is 181 with a S1 tiebreaker of 65. The lady wasn't too sure if there would be more offers made but I hope there are !

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
hi just wanting to know when do we find out when we get in or not?
In the QTAC January offer round - it’s usually around Jan 15-16, but you can check the QTAC website for exact dates.

Cal

vibe
Is UQ dent ranked on UCAT or ATAR?

Because here it it says:

"If applicants have the same OP or rank, QTAC uses their UCAT aggregate score from the first four sections as a secondary differentiator. "

In True Queensland Fashion; anything >=99 atar is considered a rank of 99 and since an op1 is given 99 then if you get 99 or above equivilant then you are compared on UCAT, which is essentially stating there is a rank 99 cut off.

drxqs

Lurker
yall think 85 ucat is enough for UQ dent? Just based off interview cut offs for other dent courses so far im guessing dent is more competitive this year so idk. Just curious to hear what people think. Cheers

Yellow99

Lurker
Hey guys, does anyone's entry requirements for The Bachelor of Dental Science at UQ still say 'Pending'? My sem 2 uni results have been out for 1.5 weeks so I'm just wondering when QTAC will obtain them. Thank you in advance

Cal

vibe
Hey guys, does anyone's entry requirements for The Bachelor of Dental Science at UQ still say 'Pending'? My sem 2 uni results have been out for 1.5 weeks so I'm just wondering when QTAC will obtain them. Thank you in advance
I would wait until the new year maybe like 2-3 days in and if they still aren't there you should probably contact QTAC at that point which would be the best idea.

Hey guys, I've finished my first year of a biomedical science, just have a question regarding credit transfer for UQ dent.
If I transfer credit for some of my anatomy/physiology papers will UQ give me the same GPA that I got in my paper?

Also is it actually worth transferring credit or should I just do the courses so that I build on the knowledge I learn and do better in year 2? (As I might not remember some stuff from my first year of uni).

Cal

vibe
Hey guys, I've finished my first year of a biomedical science, just have a question regarding credit transfer for UQ dent.
If I transfer credit for some of my anatomy/physiology papers will UQ give me the same GPA that I got in my paper?

Also is it actually worth transferring credit or should I just do the courses so that I build on the knowledge I learn and do better in year 2? (As I might not remember some stuff from my first year of uni).

Uq are very very unlikely to give you any sort of transfer credit into dentistry as it is essentially a streamlined course that is very strict to adhere to. You have no electives and everyone does the same thing. The courses are designed to be dentistry specific so that you cannot get credit for them even if you tried.

Uq are very very unlikely to give you any sort of transfer credit into dentistry as it is essentially a streamlined course that is very strict to adhere to. You have no electives and everyone does the same thing. The courses are designed to be dentistry specific so that you cannot get credit for them even if you tried.
There are four first year subjects that both pharmacy and dentistry students take, so I imagine they'd give quite a lot of transfer credit for pharmacy and potentially other health science students

Cal

vibe
There are four first year subjects that both pharmacy and dentistry students take, so I imagine they'd give quite a lot of transfer credit for pharmacy and potentially other health science students
Yeah, fair enough but doing anything other than the exact same course would probably be rejected imo, just because the unis wanna scrape as much money out of everyone as possible. But yeah I do agree if they have already done the exact same course then there would be no reason to force a redo. But they wouldn't let you skip ahead because of the first year courses so I assume that you would be quite light on in the first year.