Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ Dent vs GU Dent

KIWIpride

Hey how does the credit transfer work for Griffith university?
Say I have done papers in otago which match (they do ive checked) and say I got A+ in a paper here, would the credit transfer mean I would get a corresponding A+ recorded in my academic transcript for the credited paper cheers

No, it will be translated into Australian University ranking system of HDs, Ds, credit and so on. They will also take a look at the average class mark and arrange your final transferred score at the end of the semester.

PS, this post does not belong in this thread. please start a new thread next time =]

AppleMac22

Oops unintentional thread steal.. sorry - perhaps I should make a new thread

dent_guy

What would be the advantage of changing to UQ? Like if it cost you another year it would want to be worth it right?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
It would be an advantage by saving money.
UQ dentistry is ALL CSP for domestic students and your looking at 8K a year. So 50K ish when you graduate as opposed to the 100K + debt at GU since the last two years a FFP. This is a reason why people try to transfer. We are unsure as to when the GU Dentistry will turn into 100% CSP for domestic students. But they are working on it apparently. Adding more international students may assist in this.

AppleMac22

how exactly do you transfer from GU to UQ? is UQ's dent also 5 years in this particular case if you transfer?

KIWIpride

Yes, you pretty much start from ground zero once you transfer. you may wish to credit a few papers though.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
You have to sit the UMAT this year in July and re-apply for UQ Dentistry for 2012.
+ Apply via QTAC by the 30th September and put is as your first preference: http://www.qtac.edu.au/
+ Ensure you have a GPA 6.5 & UMAT score 173 min
+ They accept 45 CSP places a year
+ Good luck!

tcc

Lurker
Having graduated from UQ and subsequently taught there I must say I feel it has dropped in standards slightly. For example look at the loss of almost all of its perio academics (including Ivanovski to GU) a few years ago. The impending move has probably not helped nor the large class size (70-something in third year).

However a demonstrator I know well did spend some time at GU, before teaching at UQ. He wasn't impressed and says UQ is in much better shape.

Also the fee difference and the new Oral Health Centre have been mentioned.

IMO, UQ would be the better choice. I am however basing this advice on second hand information about GU.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Thanks for your input [MENTION=12643]tcc[/MENTION]. First hand experience (about UQ) is a great thing to add, and I hope it helps someone decide for the future.

L337

Based God
Emeritus Staff
Having graduated from UQ and subsequently taught there I must say I feel it has dropped in standards slightly. For example look at the loss of almost all of its perio academics (including Ivanovski to GU) a few years ago. The impending move has probably not helped nor the large class size (70-something in third year).

However a demonstrator I know well did spend some time at GU, before teaching at UQ. He wasn't impressed and says UQ is in much better shape.

Also the fee difference and the new Oral Health Centre have been mentioned.

IMO, UQ would be the better choice. I am however basing this advice on second hand information about GU.

I must admit, I went stalker-mode on this one... You graduated from UQ dent, came back to teach here (as a lecturer? clinical supervisor?) and are now enrolling in UQ med for '12 (future max-fax? :lol:). I tried to suss out who it might be based on that and the initials TCC, but nothing obvious came to mind haha.

I had to look up who Ivanovski was, as he was a little before my time, but based on his lengthy credentials I agree he would've been a significant loss. Come to think of it, the only periodontists I know are academic staff members would be Alayan and Matias... My guess is that they plan to hunt down a stable head of department sometime before the big move to Herston. Certainly, they're filling the ranks in other disciplines, with the recruitment of http://www.dentistry.uq.edu.au/professor-neil-meredith and http://www.dentistry.uq.edu.au/dr-shazia-naser-ud-din in the past year alone.

I talked to one of the newer supervisors in clinic today, who had just finished a semester of being in charge of both UQ and GU 5th years in one of the QH clinics. Apparently he was shocked when he recommended a GU student place a bonded amalgam, only to be met with a blank expression. One of my other supervisors claimed to have worked with a recent GU graduate who claimed to have never touched a surgical extraction throughout her entire undergrad course. Just sayin'...

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Well its great to have some opinions from current students, I think this might turn into a 'pay out each other uni', and thats hardly constructive for a lot of people. Just for future posts. :) Thanks

L337

Based God
Emeritus Staff
pay out each other uni

So how about that UQ eh? I hear their toilets are infested with roaches, not to mention the possum that lived in their common room for months and pooped on the sandwich press. Apparently they re-use leftover amalgam and the same drills between patients too.

still better than adelaide tho

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
See, you even up the play field. ;) Really, both unis are terrible :O