Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

So that means UQ dent is an impossibility for all non-standard applicant who are not UQ students? That seems very very harsh
Hi DriftingDogs,
I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. I am a UQ graduate myself (BSc, MD) and it is common knowledge among UQ students that the university consider grades received from other universities (other than the Go8 Alliance) inferior to grades given by UQ, hence the 2 charts for THE GPA to ATAR conversion. I know this may be harsh but I have previously undertaken units at another Qld university (QUT) and can confirm UQ has higher academic rigour.

Go8 alliance: UWA, Monash, ANU, UAdel, UMelb, UNSW, USyd

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Hi DriftingDogs,
I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. I am a UQ graduate myself (BSc, MD) and it is common knowledge among UQ students that the university consider grades received from other universities (other than the Go8 Alliance) inferior to grades given by UQ, hence the 2 charts for THE GPA to ATAR conversion. I know this may be harsh but I have previously undertaken units at another Qld university (QUT) and can confirm UQ has higher academic rigour.

Go8 alliance: UWA, Monash, ANU, UAdel, UMelb, UNSW, USyd
This doesn't answer the question that the GPA to ATAR conversion is basically UQ vs. all other institutions (effectively lumping go8 and non-go8 together in the same boat)

Tiara

Although UQ doesn't spell out clearly, the Raw over Adjusted clause appears last on the list which gives the impression it goes in that order

i.e. First differentiated by Selection rank, since not enough places to go to 99.90 only 99.95s (including adjusted) pass through
- then differentiated by sum of 5 UCAT sections, with section 5 as tiebreaker, then section 1 as secondary tiebreaker
- in the rare event they still tie at this stage, Raw over Adjusted.

Under Applicants with the same entry score
> Submit your application
1631361684352.png
A1, looks like UCAT(84%, 2860) doesn't satisfy the entry requirements, Is there a threshold?

Tiara

Miata, I'm waiting for a reply from QTAC as I didn't enter my UCAT No: anywhere. I'm pretty sure there was no option to. Can someone confirm please?
Wait, does a 'yes' mean that you pass the requirements and a 'no' that you don't? Or is a 'yes' just that you have successfully submitted a UCAT score, no matter what it is?

Miata

Optometry Student
Miata, I'm waiting for a reply from QTAC as I didn't enter my UCAT No: anywhere. I'm pretty sure there was no option to. Can someone confirm please?
Yeah, there was definitely no option to. Are you from Queensland or a different state? I don't know how it works, but I'm pretty sure they automatically get your UCAT from Pearson?

Tiara

I'm from Vic. So depressing, as a 2830 got a place offer as per the 2020 data. Do locals have a different cut off?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'm from Vic. So depressing, as a 2830 got a place offer as per the 2020 data. Do locals have a different cut off?
This could simply mean QTAC haven’t requested (or recieved) UCAT scores from Pearson yet (which would make sense since it is still happening) so the default is no (implied: not yet).

As we say literally every year here at MSO, TAC codes are very often misleading, and occasionally downright false.

Please let us know what QTAC’s reply is.

Tiara

2830 is redundant as this year they consider the aggregate from all 5 sections.

1631364886289.png

This could simply mean QTAC haven’t requested (or recieved) UCAT scores from Pearson yet (which would make sense since it is still happening) so the default is no (implied: not yet).

As we say literally every year here at MSO, TAC codes are very often misleading, and occasionally downright false.

Please let us know what QTAC’s reply is.
Will definitely keep you posted, LMG

A1

Rookie Doc
Wait, does a 'yes' mean that you pass the requirements and a 'no' that you don't?
A yes/no there indicates if QTAC has obtained your UCAT score. Whether it passes the cutoff requirement is determined by UQ Dent not QTAC, and at this stage even UQ Dent doesn't know what that is.

Yeah, there was definitely no option to. I don't know how it works, but I'm pretty sure they automatically get your UCAT from Pearson?
The TACs get a full list of UCAT scores from Pearson. The other TACs use your UCAT ID number to extract your score from that list. For some reason QTAC uses your Name+DoB instead so doesn't need UCAT ID from you. It has been like this for many years.

LJess94

I currently have a 'no' next to my UCAT also and I have a 3000. I rang them and they said that for some reason my UCAT hadn't been applied and they fixed it for me. Might be worth anyone in the same boat giving them a ring.

Hi Tiara, the UCAT cutoff for all non-rural, domestic, prospective UQ dentistry students are the same. It is usually 90th+ percentile. A UCAT score of a 2830 in 2019 (for a 2020 offer) would translate to around that percentile hence providing that applicant with an offer.

Caffeine

Hi Tiara, the UCAT cutoff for all non-rural, domestic, prospective UQ dentistry students are the same. It is usually 90th+ percentile. A UCAT score of a 2830 in 2019 (for a 2020 offer) would translate to around that percentile hence providing that applicant with an offer.
That was also the year of the half cohort so the competition was reduced. Hence why Griffith was lower as well. The no of applicants from QLD alone is likely to be much higher this year as well and last year.

Hello everyone, I emailed UQ about the application process etc. at the start of August and this is what they told me: "The minimum UCAT considered for 2021 entry was 2980. Please note however this was based on the aggregate from the first 4 sections of UCAT. This is changing for 2022 entry to be the aggregate from the 5 sections of UCAT. We will not know what the new minimum will be under the new requirement until all applicants are considered in the main offer round in January."
And just to double-check (for my sanity's sake), I wouldn't be required to do anything further (i.e. call QTAC) if it displays "No" for UCAT entry requirements, as this simply means that QTAC hasn't received my score from Pearson yet?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello everyone, I emailed UQ about the application process etc. at the start of August and this is what they told me: "The minimum UCAT considered for 2021 entry was 2980. Please note however this was based on the aggregate from the first 4 sections of UCAT. This is changing for 2022 entry to be the aggregate from the 5 sections of UCAT. We will not know what the new minimum will be under the new requirement until all applicants are considered in the main offer round in January."
And just to double-check (for my sanity's sake), I wouldn't be required to do anything further (i.e. call QTAC) if it displays "No" for UCAT entry requirements, as this simply means that QTAC hasn't received my score from Pearson yet?
Yes, that’s correct at this stage. And thank you for that updated info re. section scores.

SmoothCriminal

Hi guys, do you guys think that UQ is going to weight the 5 sub-sections differently or equally since they changed the way they use UCAT?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi guys, do you guys think that UQ is going to weight the 5 sub-sections differently or equally since they changed the way they use UCAT?
Aggregate of the five sections, as worded in the reply above, doesn’t suggest any weightings to me but we won’t know for sure until we have some data to work with or a definitive statement from UQ.

Caffeine

2830 in 2019 was like 88/89 though
I think the change in particular is attributed to UQ Medicine's change in admissions process and the cohort size of Queensland doubling effectively the year later from around 14k to around 28k I think (It will not be a reduced size for the considerable future) increasing percentiles for both. If you compare statistics for Griffith you can tell that the year was an outlier and it is extremely unlikely to ever repeat again unless similar circumstances exist