Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ/Griffith/Bond/JCU Competitive GPA

funf

Lurker
Hi guys,

What are the chance of getting accepted with GPA 6.33 for Bond as an international applicant?

I completed my first year, but I am thinking of restarting my program to aim GPA 6.7 or higher for getting into Bond.

(I only realised my possibility of entering into Australian med school recently.)

I thought about just doing a master for a year for entering into Griffith instead of restarting my bachelor, but I believe UQ only accepts a 3-year-bachelor degree as an undergrad GPA.

In conclusion,
Studying another 3 years (instead of 2) with a better GPA + more chances of aiming higher GAMSAT score for the entry into Griffith and UQ:

I hope I am making a smart decision and simply wanted to hear an opinion to broad my perspectives.

Thank you so much!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I don’t know if it is different for international students, so this may require some extra checking, but UQ certainly accept higher degree (master, doctorate, PhD etc) GPAs from domestic students for graduate entry Medicine.

funf

Lurker
This is quoted from the UQ MD graduate entry requirements:
'If you have completed, at minimum, a three-year bachelor's degree (at least six full-time semesters), you can apply for direct entry into the Doctor of Medicine (MD).'

So this does not mean it has to be a three-year bachelor degree? If I study master's instead, would they also look at my undergrad GPA?

I just don't have an ideal GPA for my first semester of first year. I want to somehow clear/hide it.

Thanks for your help.

A1

Rookie Doc
So this does not mean it has to be a three-year bachelor degree? If I study master's instead, would they also look at my undergrad GPA?

For UQ in particular, the GPA of your most recent degree is used.
For other unis refer to the GEMSAS Guide as they can be quite different.

ImmortalFire

UoO MBChB II
Hiya, I'm a NZ citizen, so am a little lost with whether or not I'd be eligible/have a decent shot at Graduate Med in Aus - would I count as an international student and second question - would I be eligible for graduate or is there only a few universities that allow graduate NZ students? I've heard UQ does accept us lost sheep, but any clarification would be awesome. (also not sure if I've added this to the right thread so apologies in advance if I haven't)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hiya, I'm a NZ citizen, so am a little lost with whether or not I'd be eligible/have a decent shot at Graduate Med in Aus - would I count as an international student and second question - would I be eligible for graduate or is there only a few universities that allow graduate NZ students? I've heard UQ does accept us lost sheep, but any clarification would be awesome. (also not sure if I've added this to the right thread so apologies in advance if I haven't)

You are in the same quota as Australian candidates i.e. you can apply for the CSP spots. However, you won't be eligible for the BMPs unless you get Australian Permanent Residency. So yes you are eligible for graduate entry places (as well as the non-standard places like WSU/JMP/JCU/UNSW).

ImmortalFire

UoO MBChB II
Thanks Mana - follow up q - I'm new to medstudentsonline and was wondering if you could link me to the thread about graduate med in Aus to get a run down of all the uni's that have graduate programs and how I'd go about applying/GEMSas vs non-GEMSAS programs etc. I found some 'unfinished' guides, but struggled :(

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Thanks Mana - follow up q - I'm new to medstudentsonline and was wondering if you could link me to the thread about graduate med in Aus to get a run down of all the uni's that have graduate programs and how I'd go about applying/GEMSas vs non-GEMSAS programs etc. I found some 'unfinished' guides, but struggled :(

If you're looking at graduate entry you will want to check out our friends at www.pagingdr.net - they have a lot more information on the grad entry process than we do.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads