Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Med Discussion 2017

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Hi! Just created this so anyone who has accepted UQ med can discuss anything uni-related!
I'm super excited and really look forward to starting and meeting some of you :D

Here are some key dates (from the UQ Checklist app which you can export to your calendar):
30 Jan Class sign-on begins
3 Feb Due Date for enrolling (domestic students)
13 Feb ID Cards available
17 Feb Due date to request a program change through mySI-net
20 Feb Orientation Week begins
24 Feb Due Date for enrolling (international students)
27 Feb Semester 1 classes commence
31 Mar Semester 1 census date (last date to drop courses or cancel enrolment without financial liability)

Links :):
Apps
UQnav
UQ Checklist
Class Timetable

Websites
UQ timetable planner

Some useful links for pre-medicine degree enrolment:
General Starting at UQ links:

Also UQ has a Live Chat available via the Starting at UQ page if you have any questions about enrolment.

Last edited:

sn1p

WSU Alum
Sign on tip -
Get your timetables planned (multiple versions - include some backups) and know exactly what classes you want to sign on for. When sign on time comes (remember for NSW people the time is off by an hour) sit there and spam refresh right before sign on for that course begins. Some classes go in a matter of seconds, especially a popular prac time for chem and bio (but don't fret if you miss your preferred time slot - others will switch their classes around because they weren't able to get their top preferences so you can stay on the page and refresh afterwards). Sign on for pracs and workshops first (since they're 2-3 hours), other things like tutorials next, and lectures last because you can go to whichever lecture stream you want (can become a slight issue for some courses if their mid-semester exams are run in lecture streams but you can worry about that later). Fight tooth and nail for the classes you want. Happy camping!

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Sign on tip -
Get your timetables planned (multiple versions - include some backups) and know exactly what classes you want to sign on for. When sign on time comes (remember for NSW people the time is off by an hour) sit there and spam refresh right before sign on for that course begins. Some classes go in a matter of seconds, especially a popular prac time for chem and bio (but don't fret if you miss your preferred time slot - others will switch their classes around because they weren't able to get their top preferences so you can stay on the page and refresh afterwards). Sign on for pracs and workshops first (since they're 2-3 hours), other things like tutorials next, and lectures last because you can go to whichever lecture stream you want (can become a slight issue for some courses if their mid-semester exams are run in lecture streams but you can worry about that later). Fight tooth and nail for the classes you want. Happy camping!

Thank you so much sn1p! Just wondering, do we have to select times for each lecture/tutorial/prac/workshop for each subject in that one minute or can we have prepared it?

sn1p

WSU Alum
Thank you so much sn1p! Just wondering, do we have to select times for each lecture/tutorial/prac/workshop for each subject in that one minute or can we have prepared it?

What exactly do you mean by having prepared it?

How you select is pretty much as follows - each course you've signed on for has some specific time for their sign ons, usually all the same (in other words, sign ons for pracs, PASS class, and lectures for one course will all open at the same time) but some courses you sign on for have separate times for each type of class (I think PSYC1020 might be one of those), which means for a lot of them you'll have to prioritise signing on to one type of class over another etc. Ideally you'll have gone on timetable planner way before sign on (I'm talking days/weeks) and written down which classes you want so that you can snipe the ones you want. Since courses often put all their class sign ons at the same time, you might miss your preferred lecture stream or whatever so you have to be fast in switching from signing on for one class to the next. This all sounds super quick but really sign on lasts until the deadline for all signs ons, just that realistically you should be fully done by the next week at the very latest (accounting for people doing some later switching).

umat2016

Will anyone stay at the University Colleges and apply for credit? I think the Student ID is available after one day of enrolment. Did someone receive invitation to join the Advanced Study Program in Science, is it good to join?

Last edited:

sn1p

WSU Alum
Will anyone stay at the University Colleges and apply for credit? I think the Student ID is available after one day of enrolment. Did someone receive invitation to join the Advanced Study Program in Science, is it good to join?

The ASPinS is very research focused. I myself didn't do it because the flyer looked very future scientist-oriented and I hear some people start it and then quit it midway through, but I'd suggest you ask around (the Facebook group for your cohort would be a good place to start) for people who are in the program or have done it in the past.

May I know a bit more information about "stay at the University Colleges and apply for credit" please? I am trying to stay at a college but what do you mean by "apply for credit". Are they entirely two different things altogether? I don't think they are related.

Last edited:

retep119

Adelaide MBBS II
Hi guys, I was just wondering which pre-medicine degree you guys are going to choose. Personally, I'm leaning towards bachelor of biomedicine.

sn1p

WSU Alum
Hi guys, I was just wondering which pre-medicine degree you guys are going to choose. Personally, I'm leaning towards bachelor of biomedicine.

If trends continue, most people will pick a Bachelor of Science because it's the bandwagon course and it's flexible, allowing you to easily fit in the recommended second year anatomy and physiology courses while leaving space for electives for your own interest as well. You should probably have a look at all the recommended courses to be done before medicine, see which of these allows you to fit them in the easiest while giving you some flexibility of choice for electives if you so desire, and also the pre-reqs for each degree/major (e.g. is there a pre-req in either that you absolutely despise the sound of? Does biomedical science steer you in a direction that you fancy more than just science?). You should probably post in the UQ provisional medicine class of 2023 Facebook page if you really want a lot of responses to this.

HZL

Hey guys, I was wondering for UQ med provisional entry, do you had to choose the undergrad degree in ur QTAC application or do you choose it after you get an offer?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey guys, I was wondering for UQ med provisional entry, do you had to choose the undergrad degree in ur QTAC application or do you choose it after you get an offer?

You choose the course code QTAC sets up for UQ Medicine, also note there may be a separate course code for UQ Medicine (BMP/Bonded). If there is a separate course code and you don't put both on you won't be considered for a BMP place.

From there if you get a provisional offer UQ will ask you to enrol and you choose the undergrad degree then.

KatWho

Lurker
Hi! I'm curious to know where are people living in their first year of MD? Off-campus or on-campus? Not sure if this has been asked before but I tried looking everywhere and I haven't found a forum about it yet.

Woo18

Hi! I'm curious to know where are people living in their first year of MD? Off-campus or on-campus? Not sure if this has been asked before but I tried looking everywhere and I haven't found a forum about it yet.
Hi KatWho
My son attends QUT and stays at a place called Raymont Lodge it has students from UQ there as well and it a little cheaper than the UQ Colleges. Hope this helps.