Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Medicine: Interview Discussion

Tomato

There are two main changes to the selection process for the MD program at UQ:
1. The introduction of MMI as part of the selection process from 2020
2. The introduction of two subject prerequisite courses (i.e. Integrative Cell & Tissue Biology and System Physiology) to ensure students are well prepared for the first two years of the program from this year.

Reactions: A1

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
A welcome change, especially since UQ themselves literally published their own data showing that the interview was a better predictor of academic performance than the GAMSAT and then removed the interview anyway.

Are those courses confirmed? I had been wanting to apply to UQ for 2020 but I don't have a cell & tissue bio course completed... yikes...

edit: I see that if I apply in 2019 for 2020 I will not have to have said pre req courses completed but I will have to participate in an interview. Fine by me!

Last edited:

Tomato

Are those courses confirmed? I had been wanting to apply to UQ for 2020 but I don't have a cell & tissue bio course completed... yikes...

edit: I see that if I apply in 2019 for 2020 I will not have to have said pre req courses completed but I will have to participate in an interview. Fine by me!

You do need those prerequisite subjects from now on however they are not the requirements for your high school study but for the bachelor degree before MD.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
About time they introduced an interview.

You do need those prerequisite subjects from now on however they are not the requirements for your high school study but for the bachelor degree before MD.
Yeah I already have my bachelors completed and I didn’t take those courses so it saves me in that sense. I’m fine with an interview, frankly that should be a standard at any medical school. Admissions should definitely be based on more than just grades.

DanielG28

On UQ's website they say, "MMI aims to assess the applicant’s personal qualities, such as empathy, integrity, adaptability and verbal communication skills". Does anyone know if they specifically asses any other personal qualities?

Miata

Optometry Student
On UQ's website they say, "MMI aims to assess the applicant’s personal qualities, such as empathy, integrity, adaptability and verbal communication skills". Does anyone know if they specifically asses any other personal qualities?
There are eight stations within the MMI. Each station consists of one to two (no more, no less) of the following seven domains:
1. Adaptability
2. Communication skills
3. Empathy
4. Integrity
5. Motivation to study medicine
6. Teamwork
7. Critical thinking

I got this from a family friend who participated in the planning for interviews at UQ as I too would like to get into UQ med. Good luck!

DanielG28

Thank you soo much

Does anyone know the types of question UQ asks in the MMI - like is it all scenario based question or are there some question about complicated ethical dilemmas (like euthanasia or abortion) or just like personal questions (like 'what are your weaknesses' or 'tell us about yourself')?

SLP

Bond MD I
Does anyone know the types of question UQ asks in the MMI - like is it all scenario based question or are there some question about complicated ethical dilemmas (like euthanasia or abortion) or just like personal questions (like 'what are your weaknesses' or 'tell us about yourself')?
I don't think they have this information available on their website (like the specific nature of the questions). I also believe interviewees have to sign an NDA, which prevents them from disclosing the types of questions they will ask. (I think this is usually the case, but someone can clarify). It's best to be prepared for any type of question (traditional MMI questions and personal questions), as personal questions can also be integrated into MMI stations.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I also believe interviewees have to sign an NDA, which prevents them from disclosing the types of questions they will ask. (I think this is usually the case, but someone can clarify).
I can confirm that the vast majority of interview holding unis have candidates sign NDAs. Here at MSO, we don’t ‘police’ this policy, but we do have a blanket rule that, once interviews start, anything that could confer an advantage to those yet to sit their interview is banned content.

swag4ever

Hey guys!!
Was just wondering if anyone got any information about the pre interview for uq. They said an email would be sent to book it after you booked the actual interview. But I still haven’t gotten it? Has anyone got any info that could help?
Thank youuuuuu <3

DanielG28

Hey guys!!
Was just wondering if anyone got any information about the pre interview for uq. They said an email would be sent to book it after you booked the actual interview. But I still haven’t gotten it? Has anyone got any info that could help?
Thank youuuuuu <3
I haven't received the email either - so maybe they do it closer to the actual interview.

AM12345

How many seats are left for UQ prov entry, now that there are the other pathways which have come from there?