UQ Medicine Late Application

Tommitron

Hey guys,

So I've been having a bit of a bad run with regards to offers around NSW and SA (Vic local) and have been getting a little more desperate and was looking at the UQ provisional medicine course. My Atar was 99.30 and umat of 198 (98th percentile) so I think they would be sufficient to get a first round offer, however I didn't apply for the first round offers for financial reasons.

I just called QTAC and they said the scores were good enough to get in for first round, but I would have to rely on someone else rejecting an offer and hoping that other later round applicants aren't too competitive because I would be applying for the round on the 25th of January.

Do you guys think that the risk is worth taking if I don't get an offer for Vic? The fee's going to be ~$170 and it feels like a big gamble, especially since the reason why I hadn't already applied here was because of the fee. It may mean that my dream of studying medicine could come true but at the same time depending on the likelihood it could just be money down the drain.

Feeling a bit lost at the moment so any advice or experience with this would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

1234med

I think someone here mentioned that there are no second round offers for provisional medicine. The rest of the offers go to the graduate entry program.

If this isn't true though, you should be guaranteed UQ with 98th percentile and 99+ ATAR.

I agree that the $170 fee is pretty steep, so maybe you could apply after VTAC's first round offers tomorrow (after you know whether you're going to get Monash or not), as you mentioned. Plus, you might need to think about accomodation expenses (Youth Allowance, scholarships, bursaries e.g. college) if you will move to Queensland. With financial difficulties, did you apply for SEAS/ EAS/ UES? They would lift up your ATAR and you'd be pretty set on offers even with an average interview.

Good luck. Sorry I didn't provide much sound advice, only more things to think about. Hopefully someone more experienced like A1, LMG, Crow or Mana can help.

Tommitron

I think someone here mentioned that there are no second round offers for provisional medicine. The rest of the offers go to the graduate entry program.

If this isn't true though, you should be guaranteed UQ with 98th percentile and 99+ ATAR.

I agree that the $170 fee is pretty steep, so maybe you could apply after VTAC's first round offers tomorrow (after you know whether you're going to get Monash or not), as you mentioned. Plus, you might need to think about accomodation expenses (Youth Allowance, scholarships, bursaries e.g. college) if you will move to Queensland. With financial difficulties, did you apply for SEAS/ EAS/ UES? They would lift up your ATAR and you'd be pretty set on offers even with an average interview.

Good luck. Sorry I didn't provide much sound advice, only more things to think about. Hopefully someone more experienced like A1, LMG, Crow or Mana can help.

Thanks so much for the reply - Yeah while I don't quite fall under the category of financial difficulties my family and I definitely didn't feel comfortable with spending so much to apply for many different states. Accommodation is another thing to consider as well of course, but I know some people in Brisbane so hopefully would be able to work something out. Honestly fingers crossed for a Monash offer as that would make everything much easier! :)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
UQ - UQ Med Offers 2017 I believe I had to do some digging for this answer, but afaik there is no second round for UQ provisional - the remaining declined places go into the pool for graduate applicants in three years time.