UQ UQ Medicine: Undergraduate Degree Options and Discussion

esprioas

It's not needed. It's usually recommended for GAMSAT preparation, but other than that it doesnt help for the MD. Personally, I found to be the easiest 7 i've got, although I did have a strong background in Physics coming into it. The course is generally well regarded because the course staff are very accomodating and generally supportive and ecstatic to teach it.

If you feel like you wanna give Physics a go (which i recommend cause its a fun field) PHYS1171 is def the go-to course...

BTW here are the recommended and prereqs courses from a powerpoint we got in oweek last year

View attachment 4405

View attachment 4404
Thank you so much for that! I'll have a think :)

Rhythm

JMP I
For those enrolling in classes at UQ in 2021 and are doing Biomedical Science as your undergrad degree, I was wondering which courses you were doing in Semester 1? Because I have chosen BIOL1020, CHEM1100 and SCIE000 but have no clue about the fourth course I should do. The science department told me I shouldn't do any level 2 subjects in my first semester but I can't find any level 1 electives anywhere. I don't really have an interest in physics either so I'm pretty stumped. Any advice would be much appreciated.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I chose to do PHYS1171 in 1st sem. Other popular choices are NEUR1020 and MATH1051

edit: a few of my friends did BIOL1030 aswell

Milano

When I contacted the Student Centre, they said it's possible to do level 2 electives in your first year as long as you meet the prerequisites. So, if you are interested in any level 2 courses, I am sure you can take them up now.

Also, if you can do general electives in BBiomedSci, why not try a level 1 course from BSc or BA? I am looking to do PUBH1102!

Rhythm

JMP I
Thanks so much for your replies! Will definitely look into public health and BIOL1030 as well because both interest me much more than psychology and physics.

DanielG28

Hey guys I am currently in grade 12 and I was wondering is anyone knows if you can do the BAFE as an undergraduate for UQ Med?

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Hey guys I am currently in grade 12 and I was wondering is anyone knows if you can do the BAFE as an undergraduate for UQ Med?

I think you’re only limited by having to complete the pre-requisites. If you can include these into your study program, then I don’t think there’s a problem.

The only other potential barrier will be if there are selection criteria for the degree that you don’t meet (ie. Dent last year from memory). I have no idea what the situation is for BAFE.

Maybe not the right place to ask but i not sure where else

For the provisional school leaver entry
which is 3+4 = 7 years,

If I was to get the UQ Vice Chancellors Scholarship

Awarded to applicants who achieve a minimum ATAR of 99.90 (or equivalent):

• Award Value: $12,000 per year, total value of up to $60,000
  • Duration: Up to 5 years
  • Level: Undergraduate and any subsequent related postgraduate study, such as Honours.

Does "any subsequent related postgrad study" include the doctor of medicine?

i.e. If I was to get into both the course and scholarship, would I receive 36k or 60k (assuming I maintain all necessary stuff)

thanks

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Maybe not the right place to ask but i not sure where else

For the provisional school leaver entry
which is 3+4 = 7 years,

If I was to get the UQ Vice Chancellors Scholarship

Awarded to applicants who achieve a minimum ATAR of 99.90 (or equivalent):

• Award Value: $12,000 per year, total value of up to $60,000
  • Duration: Up to 5 years
  • Level: Undergraduate and any subsequent related postgraduate study, such as Honours.

Does "any subsequent related postgrad study" include the doctor of medicine?

i.e. If I was to get into both the course and scholarship, would I receive 36k or 60k (assuming I maintain all necessary stuff)

thanks
Yes, the Vice Chancellors Scholarship does cover the Doctor of Medicine as well as the undergrad degree (up to a total of 5 years). I had to call UQ back in the day to get this info as I couldn't find it anywhere but I highly doubt it has changed. I have attached two documents for general information in case it helps.

Attachments

• 2022-academic-scholarships-information.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2022-academic-scholarships-terms-conditions.pdf
    166.8 KB · Views: 3