Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Urgent!!!! Melbourne Model 09 Urgent!!!!!

lmao

Lurker
Hi all.

I have just currently finished yr 12 and am caught in a dilema:confused::confused:. My preferences must be in before 12pm monday morning and i am still caught in two minds. I am thinking of doing the new melbourne model in order to get into medicine. However due to our school's low socio economic standards a program is run with the university of melbourne called the "acess scheme." What this scheme does is lowers the required enter for anyone who is from our school. So for example with bio-med the required enter is 95, but with this program the enter required by will be 85 for anyone under the acess scheme. I was informed of this on open day and those exact figures were given to me.

Now for the real question. To be guranteed entry into the medicine course i know that an enter of 99.90 is required, so therefore does anyone know whether the acess scheme will apply to that above requirement???

Second question how hard is it to acheive a 75% average in bio med and do you think its possible for a student who achieved an enter of 94.3 to acheive this???

Thirdly, with the gamsat I read that two essays must be written, does that mean that your english skills will be assesed??? As i only managed a 30 in english this year:mad::mad: and it is clear to me that english is my biggest weakness. So is it assessed??

Thankyou very much for all those who respond. The reason i post on here instead of contacting the university is because i was 100% on engineering until saturday when these questions popped into my mind, however the medicine faculty information centre is closed on weekends, and thus meaning i have between 8.45am and 12.pm on monday to sort this out, and thus i thought that if i could obtain any information from here it would be great.

woozy

Hi all.

I have just currently finished yr 12 and am caught in a dilema:confused::confused:. My preferences must be in before 12pm monday morning and i am still caught in two minds. I am thinking of doing the new melbourne model in order to get into medicine. However due to our school's low socio economic standards a program is run with the university of melbourne called the "acess scheme." What this scheme does is lowers the required enter for anyone who is from our school. So for example with bio-med the required enter is 95, but with this program the enter required by will be 85 for anyone under the acess scheme. I was informed of this on open day and those exact figures were given to me.

Now for the real question. To be guranteed entry into the medicine course i know that an enter of 99.90 is required, so therefore does anyone know whether the acess scheme will apply to that above requirement???

Second question how hard is it to acheive a 75% average in bio med and do you think its possible for a student who achieved an enter of 94.3 to acheive this???

Thirdly, with the gamsat I read that two essays must be written, does that mean that your english skills will be assesed??? As i only managed a 30 in english this year:mad::mad: and it is clear to me that english is my biggest weakness. So is it assessed??

Thankyou very much for all those who respond. The reason i post on here instead of contacting the university is because i was 100% on engineering until saturday when these questions popped into my mind, however the medicine faculty information centre is closed on weekends, and thus meaning i have between 8.45am and 12.pm on monday to sort this out, and thus i thought that if i could obtain any information from here it would be great.

I'm pretty sure the 99.90 must be your raw score as I remember from applying last year only monash accepted concessions such as ACCESS, special consideration while melb did not for courses such as medicine. http://www.medicine.unimelb.edu.au/melbourne_model/ You should contact the faculty nonetheless.

A distinction average is doable but you mush apply yourself. I have seen students with UAI's as low as 60 ace 2nd year subjects as they literally study their '*** off'.

The quality of your writing, grammar and so on is assessed in the essay, as with any other piece of english work.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
What do you mean by 94.3? did you spend the whole year playing WOW and get 94.3 or did you devote your whole soul to VCE and get 94.3?

What makes you want to do medicine? How deep is the desire? Do you think it will be steady if not rising for 3 straight years of gruling competition with the rest of the biomed kids?

These are the questions you have to ask yourself.

Cham

I don't think your ENTER will be that much of an indicator of your GPA. For instance you mention that a ss of 30 in English pulled your ENTER score down when at University you won't have to study English in the Biomedicine course (I am assuming) so your GPA will not be effected. How is your competence/interest in science subjects - biology, chem, physics etc.?
As for the GAMSAT essays (though I have no personal experience with the exam) I think that skills like Essay Writing and Argument can be improved by various classes and courses - even free Writing courses offered by the Uni itself - so you probably shouldn't write yourself off right away...

edited: coz I'm a little hungover and type like a dumb***

Ku master

What do you mean by 94.3? did you spend the whole year playing WOW and get 94.3 or did you devote your whole soul to VCE and get 94.3?

What makes you want to do medicine? How deep is the desire? Do you think it will be steady if not rising for 3 straight years of gruling competition with the rest of the biomed kids?

These are the questions you have to ask yourself.

lol this guy is being mean lol

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
This thread is almost a year old ....

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads